Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison damage cancels Deadly strike? WTF?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kodachi_ysaane, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Kodachi_ysaane

Kodachi_ysaane Banned

Poison damage cancels Deadly strike? WTF?

Some people have been telling me if you poison enemy then DS is canceleed out, is this true? hello? what???

2. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

from what i know it is very true.

I havent done major testing but with poisin you cannot get the ds animation and i havent seen ds work without that animation.

just my thoughts

bite me if im wrong...

3. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

Very easy to test.

Get a naked pala with decent AR and attack speed.

Toss on a Headstriker (have to be high level for this, like so DS is above 100%).

Zeal a monster that doesn't die for like 7-10 hits.

Put on a poison SC.

Repeat.

If it takes the same amount of dmg or so per hit, psn has no effect. If it doesn't, and its heavily reduced (by about half), then poison does restrict DS.

4. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

I thought DS was capped at 95%?

5. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

Headstriker still displays 100%+ on it. Even if it is capped, there will be a noticeable difference.

6. Any1

Any1 Banned

I haven't explicitly tested this. However, I do have a Frost Zealot (clvl 90) with both about 50% DS (Highlord's + Gore Rider) and a decent amount of psn damage. I do notice a drop in killing speed when I'm wearing my teleport ammy instead of Highlord's.

The "psn vs. DS" conflict used to be true for a little while back in 1.09B or 1.09C, I thought they fixed it by 1.09D.

I'm not gonna be able to test anything until tonight at home (another 12 hours from now).

7. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

DS (or other critical hit effects such as the mastery and the amazon critical hit skill) are not affected by the atack doing other damage types. Hence, it is completely irellevant if there is poison damage or not in the attack, DS will always be applied to the physical damage part regardless. This has always been true, in all older patches.

What might exist is some sort of display issue that tmakes the game not able to show ALL effects on a target if there is to many or comflicting results. I think there is some sort of visible effect on the target if there is a critical hit (regardless of if it comes from a DS, CS or mastery) and most likely there thus seem to be (or having been in some patches) a problem not showing this effect when there is a poispn effect too. Still, that does not mean the damage is not doubled, it is.

8. Any1

Any1 Banned

I'm 100% convinced. It's not often you seen Jarulf post on these forums.

(BTW, for anyone that doesn't know who Jarulf is, let's say he's one of the very few absolutely definitive sources on D2 mechanics.)