Poison charms usage?

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Poison charms usage?

What characters make use of poison charms? Some of the bigger poison charms tend to sell for a lot, even on ETF where stuff tend to go pretty cheap.

If it's just the monster heal cancelling, then why do people want more than one, and why not just any poison charm but a big dmg one? I never really figured that out.

lendial

Diabloii.Net Member
imagine a zon with 37x 415 psn charms spamming 7 fps guided ;x

from a pvp sense, fine charms with vita>psn dmg usualy.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
A poison source doesn't stack up on a target, just the duration counter gets restarted. 37 poison charms with 451 damage (over 12 seconds btw) means 1390 damage per second. That's clearly less than the physical damage of a single strafe/multishot hit and you would have to pay a lot to get 37 of these charms.

I normally ensure that my melee/missile characters deal any amount of poison damage, to stop enemy regeneration, and nothing more.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
The only use for them was multi zons using buriza in cows in 1.09. Buriza is so slow, and multi hits everything on the screen, that it's lets the poison damage take effect. If you do the math on any of these poison charms you'll see that you need to attack something like twice a second for it to be better than a high damage fire or lightning or physical damage charm. Twice a second is very slow, and speed has other benefits too.
You certainly don't need a lot of poison damage or duration to stop regeneration, heck, venom works just fine with its .4 second duration if you're using pretty much anything except impale.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Still no good answer.
Your first question was this:

What characters make use of poison charms?
I replied this:
I normally ensure that my melee/missile characters deal any amount of poison damage, to stop enemy regeneration, and nothing more.
I understand that you don't like it that my answer means that posion charms are rather ineffective, but I fear I cannot do anything about it :azn:

Your second question:
If it's just the monster heal cancelling, then why do people want more than one, and why not just any poison charm but a big dmg one?
Because many people don't know how poison works.

The important issue is the duration, as that's how long regeneration is negated.

zeskelnec

Diabloii.Net Member
Is there an updated 1.11 version of "Tao of Poison" ?
According to what you wrote, a venom assassin, a poisonmancer shall not use Pdagger, novas or whatever psn dmg skill in conjunction with psn charms ?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Skills which don't apply bonuses to weapons won't benefit from elemental and poison bonuses anyway (except for bonuses from facets of the correct type end the like, of course). Regarding skills which add poison damage to weapons, I don't know, so I would have to look into the Tao of Poison myself.

The Tao of Poison is still accurate AFAIK, except for the stacking of durations for missile attacks. That bug has been fixed in 1.10, being the main reason why poison charms became less popular - and why some people still think poison damage is so great for zons.

Of course, zons benefit from poison charms (or any kind of poison damage bonuses) to a greater extent, as they can affect many targets at once, but the effect is not that poison from charms kills so well, but that poison stops regeneration. If you already have equipment which adds let's say 5 poison damage over 20 seconds, that's longer (and thus better) than any poison charm can be. The damage is irrelevant in this case.