Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison charm damage question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by shazbot, Jul 14, 2010.

1. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Poison charm damage question

I have an IK barb and today picked up a +50 poison dmg small charm. But when I go to equip it, the character screeen shows that the damage of my maul has gone down instead of up. Is the character screen wrong? Or is the poison damage of the charm over-riding the 200 poison damage inherent to my maul?

Thanks.

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Poison charm damage question

Do you have any other source of poison damage?

It doesnt get "overridden", but if your charm is 50pois/5 seconds, what happens is your poison damage on the maul gets "prorated" since the maul's is over 6 seconds. You do the same DPS, just over less time.

But if those are your only two poison damage sources, this is what should happen...

204/6 seconds on the maul * (5/6) = 170/5 seconds + 50/5 seconds = 220/5 seconds, which should mean it shows a small increase on your LCS.

However, if you had any other poison damage sources with durations > 5 seconds, you may end up losing more than you gain with the SC.

Keep in mind, though, that its only a graphical error. More poison sources will always increase your total poison DPS....it may reduce the per-hit damage, but it also shortens the duration so it works faster.

3. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Hmm. The charm is 50 over 4 seconds. I have another charm that gives me dex and it happens to be 6 dmg over 4 seconds. I notice that when I put the dex charm on, my damage drops by about 20.

So would it be worth it to keep the dex charm on? How can reducing per hit damage increase dps? If say, I am hitting a boss.

4. wickedswami

wickedswami IncGamers Member

let's say you do 100 damage, without the poison
    now, let's say you gain 100poison damage over 5 seconds, then the LCS will show you have 200 damage. Assuming you hit twice per second, you would have 220dps (2x100melee damage+20damage/sec from poison)

but, if you have 50poison damage over 1 second in stead, your LCS would show 150 damage, but you would do 250 dps (200 +50damage/sec).

5. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

The Immortal King's Stone Crusher Ogre Maul displays 204 Poison Damage Over 6 Seconds when at least five items from the set are equipped, applying approximately 34 poison damage per second for 6 seconds.

A Foul Small Charm displays 50 Poison Damage Over 4 Seconds, applying approximately 12.5 poison damage per second for 4 seconds.

When both are equipped, their combined poison damage per second is applied for the average of their lengths: approximately 46.5 (34+12.5) poison damage per second is applied for 5 ((6+4)/2) seconds, resulting in approximately 232.5 poison damage over 5 seconds (although precisely 232 233/256 poison damage over 5 seconds is applied; see Calculating Poison Damage for more details).

Charms can only get +Dexterity from suffixes, so this charm must have a poison damage prefix: however, no prefix displays 6 Poison Damage Over 4 Seconds (although the Blight suffix displays 6 Poison Damage Over 3 Seconds), so unless this charm was from an earlier version of the game or bugged then the closest is a Septic Grand Charm (displaying 5 Poison Damage Over 3 Seconds).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Ah you're right, it's a a steel charm of blight, 4 seconds. So basically, what everyone is saying, is that even though the LCS shows I am doing less damage per hit when I put on the charm, I am doing more damage over time?

Also, is poison damage from the charm considered a separate source of poison than from the maul?

7. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Strangely enough, the character screen actually displays total poison damage from items (and Venom) applied by a single hit accurately. Adding more items always increases the poison damage rate (poison damage per second) but, since the length for which this is applied is the average of all item lengths, adding items with short lengths can result in less total poison damage being applied by a single hit.

The charm(s) and the maul are all separate sources: their combined rate is applied over the average of their lengths.

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

less damage per hit, but faster hits, means more damage over time.

E.g., suppose you can either hit once and apply 500 damage over 6 seconds, or 300 over 3. Your LCS will show 200 less damage in the latter case, even though over the same 6 seconds youd do 600 damage instead of 500.1