Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Bow-azon?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TournaiSolum, Apr 9, 2004.

1. TournaiSolum

TournaiSolum IncGamers Member

Poison Bow-azon?

So, here I was, in school being ever so bored, when I remembered that Urkbar (42 Barb) had found a 4 socket bow. I saved and realized I forgot to sell it. Woes turn to worries as I realize I might be able to make a Poison Bowazon using Multishot or Guided Arrow, or perhaps both.

Current miniplan: 20 into Guided Arrow, Multishot, Strafe(I think; the skill that lets the arrow keep going)

I don't really have much else than that, except a couple questions.

1) Would this 'zon build be playable, in terms of being able to kill things, even though not quickly?

2) Is there such a thing as a 6 socket bow? I'm playing Classic, so would I just have to get lucky?

3) Any advice to what other skills I should get until level 18 for the perfect emeralds?

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

1. I think she should be a fun character to play. Certainly not a fast-killing machine, but deadly and different. If you're OK with a slower pace you'll do fine.

2. There are 6-socket bows in the expansion, but I don't know about Classic . . . maybe Rag or some of the other people with answers in that "reinstalled 1.00" thread could help.

3. I would go with multishot pretty much all the way if you're really going to focus on the poison damage. You aren't relying on physical arrow damage to hurt the baddies so there's no point in pumping GA or Strafe all that much; MS will let you fill the screen with arrows and turn everything green, whether you're fighting a crowd or a single boss. Of course you could also pump one of those skills if you want more forms of attack at your disposal.

What else . . . You want as many poison sources as you can get. Look for things like Wormskull and jewelry with poison mods. You also want lots of FRW on your boots, since you're going to turn the baddies green and then run away from them while they die; armor like Iceblink or Rattlecage might also be cool for the freezing/CB effects. Good luck!

3. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Good to know I'm not the only one who can't stay foccused in school :lol: .

4. ParadoX

ParadoX IncGamers Member

Hmm...I'm not too sure about Classic, but follow Durf's advice - quite a lot in Multishot (maybe it's not needed to be maxed, because you won't need so many arrows - try about 10-15) and one point in Guided Arrow for an auto-hit, homing arrow for bosses or single monsters. If you use Multishot for single monsters, you end up wasting a lot of mana.

The extent of her playability depends on your playing style - are you patient enough to wait around? Keep in mind that you won't be able to stack poison via charms or jewels, so everything poison-derived is from mods on items or perfect emeralds in the bow. If you find it's not enough (and I don't think it is), you may have to resort to a mageazon build (cranking Freezing Arrow and energy to freeze monsters in place with additional poison as they are frozen), or go physical. I remember something vague about bow damage in Classic being not accurate, so you may like to consult the Amazon forum regulars (maybe Kirsty, but she may not be around much any more) or the Classic players here.

Critical Strike and Pierce will help you out a lot, as well as Valkyrie and Decoy. I wouldn't bother much with Dodge/Avoid/Evade, but that's also your playing style. Good luck with it.

5. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

(Almost) all my characters have a big poison bow on switch, so I've had plenty of opportunity to establish that such a character is easily viable in 1.09. It won't be that easy in Classic, what with the lack of charms, but certainly viable and probably fun, unless you mind the slow rate of process through the game.
    Town portals (remember, they're still dying while you're browsing Charsi's wares - no, I didn't just say that) and Faster Run/Walk will be your friends. Also, try to get Knockback from your equipment - you'll notice the difference!

Why "until level 18"?
    I would suggest going with Strafe instead of Multishot. I'm not certain, but I believe that Strafe was not capped at 10 arrows in Classic (and I also think it is in fact bugged to inflict greater damage than displayed), so its automatic targetting all around the screen would be ideal for you. And its physical damage can become quite substantial, certainly enough to allow you to leech back your mana even with the most meagre percentage.
    If you go for Strafe, you'll have to put a point in Guided Arrow, which you will need. In fact, you may want to max it as a secondary skill.
    Get some passives to help you while waiting for the baddies to die. Slow Missiles, Dodge, Avoid, Evade as per usual. Critical is not that important since you won't be relying on physical damage. A few points in it are always helpful, though, especially if you use Guided as well.
    Valkyrie and Pierce will be somewhat essential passives, though neither need be maxed. It's a matter of taste, really.

Have fun

PS: ParadoX, is your avatar the last phase of Escher's "Metamorphose"? Think I recognise the check mate.

6. ParadoX

ParadoX IncGamers Member

Yeah, it is - you have a good eye :)