Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Point distribution for FO/CL Sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Stewie, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Stewie

Stewie Diabloii.Net Member

Point distribution for FO/CL Sorceress

I'm building a FO/CL Sorceress, and am currently level 29; not a high level as of now, I know.

I was just wondering when I should start investing in cold abilities. My build so far is pretty much just lightning:

1 Warmth

1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static Field
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    13 Lightning
    12 Chain Lightning

Nothing under Cold Spells yet.

I assume I at least max my Lightning/Chain Lightning out before dipping into the cold tree, but I'm not sure if I should put some into Lightning Mastery before doing that either.

Any help is well received, thanks!

2. EnerSense

EnerSense Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Point distribution for FO/CL Sorceress

Make sure you get Frozen Orb before you go into Nightmare. I usually go into Nightmare around level 40. Frozen Orb really shines in NM. You can use that to help your character level up in that difficulty. Once you max it in NM, continue with the lightning tree.

3. DH Amazon

DH Amazon Diabloii.Net Member

Both are effective in norm/nmare so build one strong side and other weak (as backup). Start adding points to weaker side at late nmare.
    As we have those respects, it's not so important anymore how to devide those points. So you can go with pure lightning then change build later to orb/cl.

If you have decent items(spirit sword, peasant crown, vipermagi, +2L amu etc..) to get 78 fcr or 117 fcr then go ahead and continue with CL/L. Lightning sorc's first trouble is late act5 (nmare), so you have plenty of time to level. With insight merc you don't have mana problems either.
    You need those points in L-mastery if you want to clear full games fast in nmare.

Or use strong orb in nmare, then you don't need to worry about fcr.

4. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

I usually max FO out first as it takes far less points (20 vs 60) to become Hell-effective. FO pretty much owns NM mode.

However, I would definitely not wait until L60 to start even working on the cold tree. As soon as you have CL maxed out, I'd switch over and get FO online.

If I were you (I'd respec, but...) I'd put 1 pt in LM when I hit 30, then start right away on going up the Cold tree and get FO to 20 with 1 pt CM, then head back and finish fleshing out your CL synergies, starting with LM

5. Stewie

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I don't have any of those great pieces of gear as of right now, but working on it with both my other character and eventually this one.

6. Stewie

Is there a downside to having Blizzard instead of Frozen Orb?

I've read Blizzard is "harder to aim", but I see as long as you lead something if it's going fast, or whatever, it's not that big of a deal, and blizzard seems to do more damage outright.

Frozen Orb seems to do a lot of damage if the orb passes underneath a group or mob and the spin of the shards hits directly under it.

7. DH Amazon

Hard to say, they are both good (I hate orb, not the skill itself, but sound it makes). It's little easier to make orb viable than blizzard. If you level your sorc ~80 then use orb, around ~90 you have enough points to make blizzard viable.

I like longer cast delay with bizz, so there is more time to use lightning side.
    And you can cast it far ahead taking away ranged attackers at back, for example those souls in while clearing throne.

You have to use Blizzard at right side, so its harder to tele-blizz-tele-blizz than with tele-orb-tele-orb. So blizzard is not so good against very fast moving monsters or against lonely archers.
    Luckily those typical areas like Chaos, Throne, AT (ancient tunnel, hatch in lost city) are very good areas for blizz.

I am using Blizzard as 2nd attack with my L/CL sorc. I am using CM (crescent moon) as weapon, so my lightning side is my main killer.

edit: Maybe its better to start as Orb/CL sorc, then respect to blizz/CL when you got better items. You can always respect back to orb if you don't like. That way you find sorc that suits you playing style better.

8. Stewie

Thank you for all your input!

I'm level 52 now, and I've been putting more points into frozen orb after getting CL up to 20. I have +3 to most skills +4 to some lightning skills right now, not so great, but it's better than nothing I guess. I just found a nice ethereal war scythe for my merc and put insight on it, I love it lol.

Are you using crescent moon pretty much because of the -35% resistances? I don't see much more that would help out a sorc except for the little magic absorb and +2 mana after each kill. I'm using a unique staff "Spire of Lazarus". Gives some great stats on it, not sure how rare it is and "good" in terms of the higher end gear.

The reason I was asking for blizzard instead of frozen orb, mainly, was because I think it would make Mephisto way easier using the moat trick, due to frozen orb not being able to reach that far. Also blizzard seems to work way better on big groups, but on the fast mobs I understand the problem there.

So far frozen orb is working out great, and it takes down things really fast. It almost puts the CL and Lightning to shame, lol.

I do use blizzard every now and then just for some extra damage while I lightning, and when I want to slow some mobs down.

9. droid

Blizzard takes way more skillpoints to make it viable, thats why FO is the second skill of choice. Lightning is the most skillpoint-hungry of all the trees, so you just dont have enough SPs go to around to have a decent Blizzard and a decent CL.

You wont really need to moat trick Mephisto, once you level up enough. Your merc will have enough innate resists, and between SF and FO/Lightning, he'll go down fast enough that you're never in any real danger.

10. Stewie

I always forget to use Static Field. I don't think I've used it on a boss yet, lol. Fail!

11. DH Amazon

That -35% is only reason.

Hell Chaos is best (IMO) target for this kind of sorc.

Monsters there (two hardest)
    ------------------
    Oblivion knights (those cold immunes) have 60 lightning resist, so you do 40% damage against them and with CM you do 75% (~1.5 x more)

Venom Lord (those big ones, fire immunes) have 75 lightning resist, so you do only 25% damage against them. If you use CM, you do 60% (over 2x more). *)

Those two monsters types are my main reason to use CM. CM is better item for lightning sorc than griffon and much much easier to get.

One huge negative point with CM is that getting max resist and 117 fcr are hard to get while using it. Without Arach I usually go with 78 fcr, just using vipermagi+spirit+magefist. At switch I have fcr weapon (hoto, occy etc...) to get 105fcr (for tele) and resist.
    Against souls I need resist and there CM is useless anyway, so I can use that switch weapon to kill them with Blizzard.

*) I have 5-4186 CL (with CM) and 5-4932 CL (hoto,occy)
    Against those 75% monster I do 3-2511 (with CM) and 1-1233 with (Hoto)
    So there is huge difference between those weapon when monster have high resist.
    Monsters with low resist are easy to kill whatever weapon you use, so only those high resist ones slows you down.

12. Stewie

that is a pretty big difference. I've never researched the resists and such for the monsters in each difficulty, so this is educating! :)

Rather than create another thread, I have a couple more questions!

1) I have 2 respecs available, and I was wondering if my strength was pretty low. I was thinking about getting spirit on a monarch when I get my hands on one, but my strength is only 65 base (67 with armor). That's very far from the 156 strength I need for the Monarch, and I'm wondering if I'm focusing too much into vitality. My base stats are (modified in parenthesis):

65 Strength (67)
    25 Dexterity (27)
    235 Vitality (255)
    50 Energy (85)

2) When I get a Monarch, should I respec for full block, since Hell seems to be exactly that, and archers irritate the hell out of me, or should I wait until I get all better gear?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I've Googled and searched forums for FO/CL sorc builds and not much comes up except for m0nks.

Once again thank you all for helping me out thus far :)

13. DH Amazon

1) Spirit is best shield so even 156str hard points is good choice.
    With 156 hard points its easier to choose other items when you don't need any +str from those. You might lose 50- life but its easy to survive with sorc as merc is your tank anyway. And you tele past those annoying monster (with 105 fcr tele speed, monsters don't have time to shoot you while you tele past them)

Later when you got anni or torch then you can use those respect tokens to reduce your str a bit.
    I have respected this sorc ~10 times by using self found/cubed tokens, so getting those tokens is quite easy.

2) Spirit is NOT blocking shield. You need ~300 dex to get max block with Spirit (monarch). So enough str and rest in vitality.
    (I have respected this sorc around 10 times, those tokes are quite easy to get).

Those archers are annoying, but when you got more levels and life they don't hurt much.

14. Stewie

1) I completely forgot you could get more than just those 3 respecs, thanks for reminding me.

2) I see, thanks again for all your help.

15. droid

I'd actually greatly recommend, if you have Insight Prayer merc, putting 1 pt in ES (you have all the prereqs anyway), getting just enough STR for Spirit, getting just enough Vit for about 500 life after gear, and dumping the rest in Ene.

1-pt ES will distribute damage fairly evenly between mana and life, meaning you get a lot more benefit from the Prayer+Medi auras from your merc. And you'll have higher base mana, which means you run out less often and have higher natural regen, very nice for when your merc occasionally dies.

1-pt ES on a CL/FO sorc = a lot more durability

16. Stewie

I don't have an Insight/Prayer merc, I have an Insight/Holy Freeze, but in retrospect I realize it was pretty stupid switching because I use cold spells.

I have 642 life right now with the crappy gear I do have, pretty low strength and only 15 points put into energy. I've been thinking, obviously from my previous posts in this thread, that I need to change my stats around a bit.

Energy Shield looks like a good deal, 20 percent absorption is nice, especially if I have more absorption items. I'll probably do that later on. Maybe I should respec and redo some of my points right now seeing as how I need more strength and such as it is, and I'm nowhere near 156.

17. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

The use of cold spells doesn't negate HF -
    HF can still chill Cold Immunes (aside from Bosses/SuperUniques etc that would be immune regardless)

HF can slow enemies while you're teleporting should you teleport into a pack and thus make teleporting away from pack easier since the attacks are slowed (thus less likely to put you in fhr for instance)

Unless you use glacial spike regularly, the slow effect of the other spells is minimal in comparison - mainly because of the reduction in chill length based on difficulty

Be grateful that these are the days of respec, 10 years later. Previously, when people wanted to change or learned the error of their ways, it meant a brand new character to level and a high level mule (or straight deletion).

ES is nice if you can synergize it - but when having to split points between two trees, you really can't afford to spend the points away from your elemental attack synergies. You have to be a lot more aware of you mana/health balance with ES, and your point investments & gear play a major role in finding the ideal.

18. Stewie

I pretty much never use glacial spike. I actually use Frozen Orb more than I do lightning. I think it's mainly because it gives a consistent amount of damage, rather than the erratic lightning damage.

Yeah, I've actually thought about that, man that had to have sucked big time.

I've read a few guides that have stressed the importance of skill point pinching.

I'm really one of those people who look to be the "best" I can be for every class I play. This was true when I played Ultima Online and WoW (not sure if it's taboo mentioning those here, lol). So I'm always asking a million questions to see what's better and stuff, which is what I've been doing here.

I guess I'd like to know a good average on end-game base stats. A lot of the gear, I understand, is kind of rough to get, but as all things, it will take time when I'm not co mingling on battle.net.

19. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Orb was what got me to really dig the sorc when I first played her years ago. But, once I finally made the jump to Hell and started getting into the higher level gears and runewords, it totally fell out of favor. Granted, once you've run a pure lite sorc /w infinity merc, the rest all seem weak in comparison.

Being that you're coming into the game years late, your experience on bnet will not be quite the same as it has been in the past. You'll be hard-pressed for interaction with the majority of folks afk since so many just run a script.

Best is a matter of perspective. Sounds to me like you're looking at min/max type stuff, and that exists in every game with stats that I can think of. Not everyone would think of that as "best", but I think I get your meaning.

End game based stats are based on equipment, especially with respecs. In perfect gear, I can fully gear a lite sorc or trapper or hdin without dropping a single stat point anywhere. Short of that - you adjust as necessary.

You also have to take charms into account, as they play a major role in your skills/stats.

You're more than welcome to ask questions - but do you really learn anything without actually playing the game? I can tell you that a pure lite is the fastest sorc killing machine in game, but if you don't know how to utilize her skills or equip her properly, it doesn't mean much. Part of the fun, part of the learning is actually playing and discovering it for your own benefit.

Min/Maxing in D2 is all fine and dandy, but there are so many fine intricacies to learn. Not to mention, you've somehow got to acquire whatever it is you're looking for through killing and trade. If you're still learning the game in general, don't be too worried about it. There are more than enough standard concepts to learn alone.

20. Stewie

I guess only time will make me better. I'll probably get there sooner or later.

I can get on battle.net now, but I don't know anything about the economy, but that's something that's picked up over time too I assume.