Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poe or Lovecraft?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pandabear, Feb 27, 2004.

?

Should I write a Phoenix Striker guide?

1. Of course! The more guides, the better!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm too emo to care...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I think you are a tard and you should never write a guide!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pandabear

Pandabear IncGamers Member

Poe or Lovecraft?

It has been a while since I have made a thread, and I had an interesting thought. I know Edgar Allen Poe wrotes horror/ disturbing stories and poetry, and I have heard of another author, H.P. Lovecraft. I know only some things about Lovecraft, but I do know he does write horror stories. So I just wanted to see everyone's views on these two authors and also their preference if you've read material by both authors. You can also include and recommend stories and poetry that you enjoyed.

Let the discussion begin.

2. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

I enjoy some of Poe's work, but Lovecraft is the clear winner for me. The Rats in the Walls is one of my favourite short stories. Any of his work is highly recommended.

3. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I can´t choose. No way. I love both Poe and Lovecraft.

I would probably agree with the culture snobs when they say that Poe is the better author but I have this great sentimental attachment to Lovecraft. I read Dagon in fifth grade and I have loved him ever since.
    He built this great cosmology and mythology, which is an even more solid build than Tolkiens Middle Earth, along with some other authors. It´s so dark, scary and twisted... it freaked me out big time when I was younger.
    If you haven´t read Lovecraft you really should. I recomend The Dreams In The Witchhouse.

4. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Lovecraft...

Cthulhu is a mythos unto its own....

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I gotta go with my man Edgar. He is the godfather of the gothic/horror genre. Others may be good, but they can't stand up to the king.

6. Drosselmeier

Ehem... Horace Walpole...

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Oh you just made that name up, Dross. You forget, that as an American, I know that there are no other authors that can compare to U.S. writers :D

Besides, I'm a culture snob :drink: <--- fine wine

8. advil

advil IncGamers Member

personal pref = lovecraft.

9. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

Quothe Vampiro, "Ever Poe."

10. Pandabear

Pandabear IncGamers Member

The reason I had came up with this question is in 8th grade, (I am in 10th now) we studied poetry and did some short stories. My teacher had mentioned Lovecraft, his work, and what a great author he was. Ever since then I was curious about possible differences and strengths between the two authors, since I knew they both wrote in the same genre. I am also going to look into some of the mentioned material from Lovecraft that some of you have recommended. Thanks.

11. the_tree

the_tree IncGamers Member

H.P. Lovecraft is one of the most underrated writer's ever. He's still very much considered a "fluff" author. Like eating potato chips or ice cream, he is relegated to the guilty pleasure. While Poe, who wrote fairly similarly to him is considered accomplished and brilliant. Lovecraft is, however astounding. What's amazing is that you never get a direct description of what was viewed by the poor guy that saw it. You usually only get the reaction on the psyche of the poor schlub that saw it. Which, in my opinion is much more effectively frightening. You imagine something much worse than could ever be described. If you can find most of his stories on the Cthulu mytho's, you'll find an incredibly well fleshed and thought out world, or perhaps universe is the more proper term. Read Lovecraft, he needs more fans so that I don't feel like I have to hide what I'm reading. So that :point: doesn't happen anymore :uhhuh: .

12. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I can't choose. I love them both.

13. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Indeed, Lovecraft is the king of "show, don't tell."

14. th5418

th5418 Banned

Is Lovecraft and Poe in the same time period? If not, then you cant really compare them when literature is never the asme.

15. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It is very difficult to choose between two such luminaries, but my vote would have to go to Mr. Lovecraft. His writings are amongst the most influencial amongst modern horror writers. In fact, his work modernized the genre -- he buried the Elizabethian ghost story forever and brought all the ghosts and ghoulies out of the haunted houses and into modern society.

No, but close. Lovecraft's major works were written between the early 1920's and 1937, the year of his death. Lovecraft was enthralled by Poe though and frequently imitated his writing style -- including his overuse of adjectives and faulty use of punctuation.

Poe and Lovecraft are frequently compared. Lovecraft gets my vote on the sheer power of his brilliant creativity and originality.

16. th5418

th5418 Banned

Are all books of lovecraft good? ANd how long are they?

17. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I would classify most of them as long short stories. His two longest works would be "At the Mountains of Madness" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Both are excellent reads.

If you are interested in checking out some of Lovecraft's best writings, I recommend the wonderful collection, The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre, an oversized softcover published by Del Rey.

Of the collected tales, I would check out "The Call of Cthulhu", "The Thing on the Doorstep", "The Colour Out of Space", and "The Dunwich Horror". All the stories in that book are great ones though. Happy reading. :)

18. Drosselmeier

The thing on the doorstep is one of my personal favourites as well. Like I said before, The Dreams in the Witch House is a must too.

Most of his stories are good. He holds a very high and even standard. I can´t think of any story I´ve read by him that has been bad, actually. Some of his work really sticks out though, and most people have their own favourites. Whatever you pick up I´m sure you´ll like it.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might need to give him a little time. Some people fall in love with him the first time they open one of his books, but some people need to read five or so stories and let him sink in, so to speak.

Another longer story, aside from those two that Dredd mentioned, is The Dream-Quest For Unknown Kadath. It´s really, really good, but it´s fairly atypical Lovecraft so you might not want to make that one of your first reads.

Hope you enjoy the reading th5418