Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PoE - Always Online

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Nizaris, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

PoE - Always Online

Out of curiosity, how many people are now placing Path of Exile on their "will never play list" because they are forcing always-online gameplay?

If you're curious, check out the G4TV commentary about it. Skip to 7:15 if you want to hear the bit about "no offline single player" mode.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. svidikus

svidikus IncGamers Member

Re: PoE - Always Online

I'm taking a look at it. I'm not upset about the no offline single player because the game is free in the first place. I haven't been following the game much so IDK if all the content is solo-able or not, but if it is all solo-able and they charged a fee, I would probably pass on it.

For the record, I am buying d3 day 1, I would just like to have the option to play how I want seeing how I am playing 60 bucks for it (or 80 if i decide to get the CE)

3. Ethix

Ethix IncGamers Member

Nizaris, you make me smile. :3

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

If this comes before D3 Release and is free, why not? The gameplay seems nice, but the invenotory and interface is kind of 15 years old bleh. (Please don't say to me again that in games where you can search for "thousands and thousands different items", you have only small inventory whith a space for only six weapons...)

5. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

@Ethix - ;)

@svidikus - I have no problem at ALL with always online. I'm just curious if the same people that are passing up D3 because of always online requirement are now also passing up PoE.

I have a sneaking suspicion there's some pretty rampant, and obvious, double-standards going on.

Based on my intuitive sense of the human condition, I'd hazard to say that, if a person likes a game they'll play it regardless of the requirements. Thus is the polarity of some PoE fanbois/Diablo 3 haters.

@Hrus - Of course it's free! But being up in arms about Diablo 3 but not Path of Exile has the smell of... dirtiness. Yes. That's right. Dirtiness. If somehow being a premium title makes it a requisite to supply an offline mode for the game, then you've lost me (or anybody who thinks that).

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Should have a look at Path of Exile to bridge the gap. Seems always online is the way it's going to be from now on. I don't really mind, but i do understand issues if you live in areas with poor internet coverage. This is closing potential players out.

On the other hand. It's a game. I can choose to play or not, and not let me get dictated by what is given to me. I have choice and would then simply move on to games that provide the possibility for me to play offline!

This new directions of developing companies has their drawbacks, but will most sadly not affect the larger amount of players :/

7. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

I guess in some games you don't get those nifty little magically enhanced endless storage backpacks..... yeah it's a crying shame really ;)

8. svidikus

svidikus IncGamers Member

Like I said, the only reason I have a problem with d3's always online is because it's a game that I am paying 60 bucks for, I am going to have the cd and the box and the case and everything, but I can't play it offline. I'm not upset with PoE's style because it's a free game.

Does that make sense? Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining things haha. It's a curse 8(

9. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I am going to start an online petition demanding an offline mode for Path of Exile :wink:

10. FaeLiN

FaeLiN IncGamers Member

I hadn't seen a vid of this before... wow. It's like they took bits of D2 and bits of Revenant and mushed them together (even down to inventories and sounds).

Is having a 'free' game reliant on being funded by users buying random (seemingly not necessarily higher-powered items) better than a player-driven economy like RMAH?

11. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Couldn't agree more, and it's not only concerning always online play. Hypocracy running rampant on these forums. Nice post, it made my day.

12. Xaviar

Xaviar IncGamers Member

There is this increasingly growing crowd of gamers who have ridiculous and unrealistic expectations and mentality; that games need to hand-feed everything to everyone, turn no profit, and bow to "everyone's" wants and needs.

They seem to think that because they paid the price of a few movie tickets, that they deserve to have their every desire fulfilled, and will whine, moan and threaten to not buy it if it doesn't.

We call them Battle.net forum posters.

13. Hyliangod

Hyliangod IncGamers Member

ouch man don't lump all battle.net posters into a group of entitled whiners >.>

14. fromtheshadow

fromtheshadow IncGamers Member

ridiculous arguments here! the HUGE difference between D3 and POE is that we will spend 60$ to purchase D3 so seeing as blizzard has already made it's revenue it's expected that they come through with features expected of them. on the other hand POE is free to play if online always was not implemented the devs wouldn't make any money at all!!!!

seriously guys you are just fooling yourself.

15. Birdie

Birdie IncGamers Member

Fromtheshadow is correct. Paying an up front fee for the game means I should be able to play the game whenever I want to; f2p is quite different. Also, Blizzard has a heritage of single player games, whereas Grinding Gear Games does not. They don't have the same expectations to live up to.

Oh, and I'm in PoE beta and it is SWEET. The controls are very easy to get used to, and I had no difficulty trashing my way through the first few areas. (not on a hard difficulty of course). It all looks really good, the atmosphere is great, and there's going to be a new UI:
    [​IMG]

16. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Thanks... you just destroyed the page..

And for f**k sake... tetris again -.-

17. Turnip

Turnip IncGamers Member

Hey I like inventory tetris.

18. fromtheshadow

fromtheshadow IncGamers Member

**** the inventory and items are super detailed!!!

It kinda makes me feel disappointed with D3 interface even thought I though it was cool before this.

now if only the story in POE was good and moody I might have turned to it instead of D3

19. JanaBest

JanaBest IncGamers Member

I've heard there is very high level of blood and gore in this game.

20. TheShaft

TheShaft IncGamers Member

Add me on that list.