Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PM: Summon/Shapeshift Druid

Discussion in 'Druid' started by proudfoot, Mar 28, 2004.

1. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

PM: Summon/Shapeshift Druid

Here's a question that was PMed to me. Thought I'd post up the question/response in case anyone else had the same kind of thing to ask, and/or wanted to elaborate on my ideas and opinions.

Cheers!

Hi Kyo! I'm glad you PMed me. Let's see...

Summon + Shapeshifting, eh? If you want to be a Werewolf, you'll be jumping into groups and Furying away, so you'll probably want a Grizzly Bear alongside to deal out damage and not spread the monsters out too much. Either that or, if you prefer Dire Wolves, they can divide the packs into groups of 2-4 monsters, which you can easily take down in turn. Grizzly probably supplements a Rabies back-up more, while Dires would lean more towards Fury, in my opinion.

Since you'll be needing your Dires to tank, Oak Sage will help you out there, and either a Holy Freeze merc to keep them alive even longer, or a Might merc so they can wear the enemies down while you work on the other packs.

For a Werebear, Shockwave is the ultimate in usefullness and fun for PvM I'd go with a Grizzly, so you can Shockwave them and wade in, Mauling or Fire Clawing away and letting your Grizzly get big damage on the stationary targets. With plus skills one point is often enough in Shockwave. Maul vs. Fire Claws is up to you, but you won't really need the stun from Maul or the AR from Fire Claws. FC might be good since your Grizzly has Physical Damage and you might need to worry about immunes.

With Shockwave and the Werebear life bonus, HoW will likely help you more here, if you go for Maul and have your Grizzly. Hitting more often means less times to have to re-Shockwave them, and more damage means more killing. You could get a Defiance merc to prevent too many hits from getting through, but Might may be a better option, since a lot of the timee your opponents will be frozen. However, with Fire Claws Oak Sage will probably be your best bet, and maybe a Might mercenary to help your merc and your grizzly's damage.

So my overall suggestions would be:

Werewolf:
    1 Werewolf
    1 Poison Creeper
    1 Grizzly
    1-5 Feral Rage
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Fury
    20 Dire Wolves
    20 Oak Sage
    Leftovers in Rabies

Might/Holy Freeze mercenary.

Werebear (Maul):
    1 Werebear
    1 Shockwave
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Maul
    20 Grizzly
    20 HoW
    Leftovers in Fire Claws for immunes.

Might mercenary, or Act 1 Cold/Fire Arrow merc for immunes.

Werebear (Fire Claws):
    1 Werebear
    1 Shockwave
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Fire Claws
    20 Grizzly
    10-20 Oak Sage
    Leftovers in Fire Claws synergies.

Might mercenary.

Hopefully that helps you out somewhat. I wish you the best of luck with our build, whatever it may be, and feel free to post more questions about gear choices and specifics later on.

Proudfoot

2. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

A few things:

If you don't have any + skills, a few extra into werewolf is handy for the extra SIAS (skill increased attack speed). Otherwise you might require some OIAS (other increased attack speed - like from gloves/armor/amulet/helm/belt).

If you're a bear, max werebear, at least in my opinion, werebear adds more damage. I'd also consider pumping shockwave, as the duration it stuns for goes up as it levels.

Werewolves I tend to like more, werebears are little more gear dependent IMO.

3. proudfoot

Wasn't sure of whether WB added damage or not.

For the IAS, check the calculator. You may or may not need the SIAS. The faster the weapon is, the less OIAS/SIAS is generally required to keep it that way.

For Shockwave it depends. If you have +skills you might not need to pump it. If you don't, anywher between 1-10 is a worthwhile dump, I guess.

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Does WB decrease run/walk speed, or does it just seem like it does?

5. Asheron

Asheron IncGamers Member

I sure hope you PM'd him the answer cuz he might not see this. :eek:

6. proudfoot

I did, and asked his permission to post it. Don't worry, I'm smrt.

Meme, it's all in your head.

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

sorry, what was that...heard to concentrate with all the voices...

8. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Hi - Just to clear up PF did ask and i did give permission and tbh i was thankful of not only the feedback/information but for the tone and patience in his answer (what may seem to many of you regulars, novice type questions). Often on other forums (not naming any inparticular :thumbsup: ) can have less than friendly answers from regulars (*) that can be less than helpful and can be pretty condescending at times.

(*) (understandable at times with the same repeated questions/answers often in a single topic list littered with the same subject due to the number of lazy readers that can't be bothered to search )

Much Appreciated :winner:

Kyo

9. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

O_O

The fat hare tried to imitate the goat. BM.

Garbad

10. Sim.The.GoSu

Sim.The.GoSu IncGamers Member

youz a goat? bbeeeeee

11. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

After reviwing at a rough guidelline on the build i am going to follow. A few queries still not clear to me :scratch: for the shapeshifting/summon variants.

My main concern is how to deal with act bosses. Is there a specific strategy when dealing with bosses for the druid or is the classic "barb" trait toe 2 toe with the likes of Big D and Baal?

I assume that the normal traits apply. Caster type druids attack from range whereas melee type would be close quarters right?

Secondly both builds seem good. I take it the majority players favour the wolf or the bear ? Can you please point out why (wolf does look cool). Was actually thinking go the Werewolf path but use a grizzly instead because statistically it has more life as well as more damage This sensible? (knowning me probably not). If there really not much difference between dire wolves/the single grizzley i probably go for wolves just to match the werewolf :D

Cheers

Kyo

12. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Weapon query

Sorry a few more queries.

When a druid shapeshifts into a wereform. Am i right to assume that the weapons he wields in human form still contributes and determines on how much damage his wereform inflicts. Therefore to maximise damage should you weapon switch to your max dam weapon before you change or can you still switch in wereform.

That leads on to my 2nd query despite you wielding a shield in human form does it still count as a block in wereform.? Because you do not actually see shield in wereform i assume wielding a shield is then pretty much pointless as this should omit your block chance altogether?

For stats for regardless if werebear or werewolf. I am aim probably to do something like this. similar to a barb stats

Str- Aim for equip to begin with (might add later on if damage is increased
    Dex- Aim for max block but really depends on the answer in query 2. If shield doesn't count for block then i probably aim just enough for equip
    Vit - Rest of points i can spare
    Nrg - Base

:scratch:

13. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Look here for summons stats.

Block works fine in wereform.

You can weaponswitch in wereform and it will make a difference.

You have a good grasp on the stats.

A fury druid is a good one to begin making druids, but read the stickies for some good hybrids also.

Two handed or one handed weapon is your next big question and you have to decide for your self(but you can of course trust us to give advice).

I'd say it is preference. You can get into trouble with unleachable monsters(skeletons etc.) if you go two handed, but going one handed will have a negative effect on your damage.

edit:*groans*
    No, no you don't
    *hides from the tome of questions Kyo is busy typing* ;)

Seriously, I'll be right back to answer you're question, if I can. afk RL

14. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

LOL I was actually in the necro forum when u typed that.

So dun worry :lol:

15. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

the ugly weakling misquoted me.

BM!!!

gkick garbad.

16. proudfoot

So did all those questions get answered?

To clarify the weapon and shield while shifted thing:

It makes no difference whether you are shifted or not. It's purely graphical and statistical. You still block the same, you still use the same weapon stats (with different attack speed, of course), and you can switch weapon setups while you are shifted freely.

For more information on IAS (speed) calculations, check out the stickied calculator TheDragoon made. It's really helpful, but remember to reverse the sign of the base speed on the weapon. I.e. negative is slow for him, and positive is fast.

17. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

OMG - The werewolf really rocks.

LOL - just started playing from clvl 1 last night and bhoy that werewolf can really move.

Equiped him with a normal *very very low damage* weapon and i was basically going about wacking zombies and very low level mobs.

Then i remeber i forgot to equip with my basic mule weapon "Khalim's Will"

Bhoy what a difference. In werewolf form i was like on drugs. Zooming 100mph wading through mobs like i was on jet fuel. I think the 50 IAS was really noticeable. Not only was i hitting faster but i was running/faster.

i shudder to think of the speed when i get higher with faster/run boots

Was surprised just how enjoyable at my first taste using the were-druid

:winner:

18. JeffR116

JeffR116 IncGamers Member

Oh yeah the ww definitely rocks. my ww druid is my favorite char by far.

KYO- just wait until you get to the high 70s/low 80s. You'll be doing some serious damage and attack like lightning.

19. Black_Dog

Black_Dog IncGamers Member

maybe even greased lightning

20. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

Awrooo , i thought bunnys never had to ask for permission!

Reading this thread has convinced me to make a pvm werewolf Summoner with Dire wolves.