Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

plus skills and synergies

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToastedTacoGuy, May 11, 2005.

1. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

plus skills and synergies

i noticed that with a few builds that have been floating around lately people have been recommending the use of items that give + to certain skills in order to get synergies. these builds usually seem to be with classes that do not naturally get the skill that is trying to be synergized. after a look on the arreat summit i found this

"Items that give bonuses to skills and skill levels will not add to Synergy bonuses. For example, an Orb with +3 to Fireball, when equipped, does not give any bonus to Firebolt."

is this only the case with classes that natually get these skills? or did blizzard make a mistake or something? im really curious now, especially since i am trying to figure out how that druid, the one with the uber big hurty stick, is doing 64k damage with rabies. when i fully synergized rabies in a skill damage calculator i think it was doing something like 4.5k. it also said that in order to do 64k damage you would need a total of 55 points in rabies.

second question.

say poison creeper give an 18% damage bonus to rabies per skill level. would it not give more of a bonus then if you started adding points to poison creeper after you had maxed rabies? or does it recalculate all the bonuses after each point is invested in rabies? so basically would it be

rabies damage + (.18n * rabies damage) where n = the skills points in poison creeper

or

(rabies damagelvl1+.18rabies damagelvl1) and then when level 2 comes its (rabies damagelvl2+ .18rabiesdamagelvl1 + .18rabiesdamagelvl2) etc

my math could be way off, since i didnt really sit down and think about it

2. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I think that adding +skills to a synergy skill doesnt increase the damage of the main skill
    for example, tearhaunchs give +vigor, but that doesnt increase you blessed hammer damage
    to increase rabies, people use the bramble runeword, trang gloves, facets, carrion ring

3. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

The guides recommend items with charges of a synergizing skill, not + to those skills. Their charges will at as a synergy as long as no hard points are invested in that skills. The only skills that gain from + skills to their synergies are the Druid summons and Pally healing auras (Cleansing/Meditation).

4. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

ahh thanks. sorry i posted a second question as you guys were answering the first one, it just came into my head after i clicked post thread.

5. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

as for your second question, synergy bonus are (re)calculated each time you spend a skill point. that is, the bonus is not fixed based on how many points you had at the time you placed the point, but how many you have now. so it would be:
    rabies damage + (.18n * rabies damage) where n = the skills points in poison creeper

the order you place the points in either skill doesn't matter as far as the grand total is concerned

Bramble is a tough runeword to get - you could play for years and never see the runes needed for it. but, related to your first question, if you have a Carrion Wind unique ring which has charges of Poison Creeper on it, those charges will act as as a synergy for rabies, provided you have no spent skill points in Poison Creeper.

For some reason, the game recognizes +to skills and ignores them when computing synergies, but sees skills granted by charges as 'natural' points and uses them for synergies but only if you don't 'override' the charges but putting points in the skill yourself. This is commonly called the Marrowwalk bug because the Marrowwalk unique boots contain charges of a lvl 33 bone prison, and the game sees that at a lvl 33 synergy for other bone skills. some consider these cheesy, some say it's cheating, some say it's a feature and exploit it where ever possible.

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I think that some of the gurus around here have mentioned that according to Blizzard's action/inaction with regards to "issues" or "bugs" is that the synergy "bug"/"feature" is something that they may not have totally intended ... but have left it alone for now.

Other bugs found on battle.net etc were patched up in less than a week when found but they chose not to address the synergy issue.

Thus, if Blizz decides to keep it a non-issue therefore it's conceivable that it's more of a feature than bug depending on your level of subjectivity.

In any case, I use the Marrowalk "feature" and yes, it's a big cheesy ... but I love the idea of getting the equivalent of 33 hard points into Bone Prison and getting a 600+ Bone Armor as well as the synergy to bone spells. Obviously you can't naturally put 33 points into any skill ... soooo .... yah, I guess it's quite cheesy now that I think about it more. :lol:

Hey, I deal with the FE bug and I don't use a red rune mod so I figure using Marrowalks is part of the game that I have in front of me. Good with the bad I say.