Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pls help with finding a cheap web host

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ROMVS, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Pls help with finding a cheap web host

Ipowerweb seems to be the most well known and cheap but yahoo has easy usage going for it. I found catalog has $35 1-year ones, but is that good? Clever has $24.99, dunno seems seedy. Dot5 hosting is like Ipowerweb since they are retailer but still not the cheapest. Any of you guys expert on web hosting able to suggest a good web host based on price, ease of use, features? I'm so confused at the moment. :confused:

2. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I use Catalog for my site and a bunch of my clients. Full features, great tech support, awesome uptime. What kind of site are you wanting to make? Catalog's base hosting plan is nice for small/personal sites. You're not paying for a bunch of space and features you're not planning on using.

Dot5 looks like a good deal, but I doubt you need 1500MB of space. Plus the random chick on their site is such a lame sale attempt. She doesn't even look happy to be there.

I can't find bandwidth limits on iPowerWeb's site, which is not a good sign.

3. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Thanks Ev_, since you use Catalog, that's good enough for me. I'll be using it for very small use in the beginning so that seems a good deal. Have you tried Cleverdot? Sorry, I forgot it was named Cleverdot and not Clever. Seems like a good deal too.

4. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Yah, Cleverdot look pretty good. Although you never really know until you use them, I'm sure they're fine.

5. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

I am doingmy band site through Tripod. lil expensive (the band seems to have dumped the work and the cost on me) but its easy to use

6. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Riegn, kinda pricey for tripod as I'm looking for the lowest cost option.

Ev_, cleverdot's payment processor is 2checkout and it seems lots of hassles with people using them to accept payments, I wonder if it will give me problems if I'm paying instead? Who's the payment processor for catalog?

edit:
    I tried to do a sample payment through catalog and found out they use their own direct secure connection for credit cards or through paypal. At this point, it looks like catalog has an advantage payment wise, now I just don't know about reliability. Any problems with downtime with catalog?

7. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Yah I do payments on my debit card with them. I've had my site since last August, and in that time there's been one day where it was down for about 6 hours. Other than that, perfect.

8. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Just a tip, Cheap isnt always best.

Lots of downtime and slow sluggish servers for teh win!..

Try and find someone who uses the host before handing over your cash, to get a real review of the service.

9. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

That's why I appreciate the fact that Ev_ is giving feedback on Catalog.

Thanks again Ev_, I'll probably go with Catalog. :)

10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I use a couple of companies:

www.racknine.com
    This one has decent prices and a good set of features. I haven't had any real complaints, although the response time could be quicker when I ask a question.

www.aetherihosting.com
    This one has much better response time. It's a small company run by just a few guys, and probably isn't the best bet if you're going to run important business sites (in which case you'll be looking for pricier options anyway), but they do good work staying in touch with the customers.

11. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Thanks Durf but I'm probably gonna try catalog as Ev_ says they are ok plus the fact that they are super cheap and offer everything but the kitchen sink. Cleverdot offers the kitchen sink too with shopping baskets, etc. but I don't like their payment side.

12. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Sorry about that was in a rush and just scanned the previous posts :teeth:

13. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

It's the thought that counts. :D