Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please post how you got rich (or stayed poor) in the 1.08, 1.09 Diablo Economies

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by raffster, Mar 2, 2004.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Please post how you got rich (or stayed poor) in the 1.08, 1.09 Diablo Economies

Do you guys remember when an Iceblink and an Ume's Lament used to be a SOJ? While I got Diablo 2 when it first came out the store back in mid-2000, I didn't start playing in the realms until about January 2001. So there was already a "booming" economy and I still remember how I got called a NOOB the first time ever when I offered a Frostburn Gauntlets for the rare Lance that did over 300+ damage in the USEAST trade channel. SOJs didn't mean much to me until I learned that it was the main currency -- that along with Perfect Skulls and 600K gold.

I remember spending 2 hours a day gathering enough gold to trade for 5 Pskulls, which I then traded for 1 SOJ.

I guess my question is, since I missed out on the first 6 months of Diablo 2 in the realms, how did the SOJ evolve to become the main currency and what was the reason why PSKULLS were so in-demand back then? I remember I had about 80 pskulls which I roughly converted to to 8 SOJs right before 1.09 came out. I guess the people who got stuck with the skulls really felt bad when it turned out that 1.09 would be pure SOJ economy.

Please tell your exciting story of the 1.08/1.09 days. It was so much different then -- actually more fun, if you ask me. By working hard you could actually become rich. In 1.10 unless you have extreme luck, rich friends who give godly freebies (like me), money to spend on Ebay or even illegal methods, it is so damn hard to get that BOTD or Enigma Armor. In 1.08 and 1.09 Gold/Pskulls/SOJs made elite item trading possible. I remember trading 20 SOJs for a 300 damage Lance and I was ecstatic. Now I doubt I could ever have a BOTD WarPike.

Oh yes...those were the days. Veterans are welcome to pitch in their "knowledge and understanding of Diablo history/economy"

2. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i got started because of a generous friend who gave me some starting gear and continued to provide me with the odd bit of higher end gear/ sojs that he didnt need (an example of this was when he found a pair of 40something% travs i got his old 37% ones).

Eventually he became super-rich and gave out a whole bunch of stuff to his friends (ie. me). i traded these for boatloads of sojs. Then it happened, A massive dupe spree killed the value of the soj. New currency emerged as the duped 3/20/20 charm and i had never been interested in collecting these, so i was poor again, but at least had some decent gear.

around this point i discovered these forums and their rune/100psn economy

So in the dying days of 09 I did endless cow runs, selling the proceeds. This combined with the exploits of a few chip-finder characters allowed me to gradually rebuild my wealth. Soon enough i was able to afford one of the fabled cruel warpikes of quickness. A made my titan barb and the cow slaughter continued with renewed vigor.

Then 1.10 hit. This was possibly at the worst time as i had just begun to gather more runes after buying that warpike. Luckily a few ethereal 6 socket elite finds allowed me to gather up some runes to make some of the fancy new runewords.

Now i run mephy and the pit raking in piles of decent uniques, selling them over time when i find a buyer

3. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

I stayed poor by staying legit.

4. JDLail

JDLail IncGamers Member

Several things that I have noted have helped me do pretty well. For example;

1) I do not care as much as some do that my equipment be perfect. Thus I am
    happy to trade down in some cases when I can trade my quality for their quantity.

2) I do not play PvP. Good PvP items are usually worth a lot in trade so when
    I find one I trade it for what I want.

3) It is damn near impossible to find people who will take your bunch of half-way
    decent items for one uber item. HOWEVER the opposite is not true. If you find
    a shako for example on the ladder right now you will be able to trade it for lots
    of lesser items. This is mainly useful if you play a large number of characters
    and want to equip them in a hurry.

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter IncGamers Member

Once the expansion came out, Mephisto runs were fairly easy ways to get good items. The better items you got, the faster you could kill mephisto, the better items you got, etc. Sometimes players would just drop a Gladiator's Bane, Bartuc's claws or IK maul on the ground for others to pick up because they had become so common.

I remember in classic I would clear out areas of act IV just to get a normal set or unique. I didn't know anyone who was "rich" then, and had never even seen an SOJ or Silks of the Victor.

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

I stayed poor cuz i sucked.

7. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Meph was a good lil boy and dropped a ton of goodies.

8. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

hmm.. i stole some **** head chicks acct cause first of all, she was dumb enough to give me her password, second of all, she pissed me off

so... i became pretty wealthy after that

9. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Well Zepplin, thats probably sarcasm so I'll leave it as that.

Anyways, for much of the Diablo II classic days I only played in single-player, and I was not rich by standards around then. It was only until the expansion came out and I went online I gained some semblence of "wealth".

I mf'ed like mad in 1.09, which culimated with me finding a few elite uniques and sets, which included Eaglehorn, Mavina's Armour, Highlord's Wrath, Mara's Kaleidescope, ethreal unique russet armour and Tal Rasha's Set, along with a few others.

Had I decided to stay on with 1.10 there was no doubt that I would've ended up being even wealthier then in 1.09. I already had found a unique Matriarichal Javalin, Nature's Peace, Gul rune, 2x Ko runes, Wind Hammer and a couple of others from just leveling and doing Mausy and Crypt runs. This was during the course just 2 weeks of playing. But I quit again after that, and for the last time.

10. The nameles one

The nameles one IncGamers Member

A sad story shared by many...

Okay even if you are rich that doesn't always mean you cheat.

11. KaNdeeKiD

KaNdeeKiD IncGamers Member

Started d2 was poor, didnt know what i was doing so entered a game and found uniques on ground.... working my way up..... few years passed was hell rich and still am, 1.10 patch ladder, help people out and be a very trust worthy person and popular diablo 2 player :clap: ( help ppl xfer good items and stuff then they ask me if i need anything or they offer it to me :uhhuh: uswest and useast only xfering i do tho) thats about it, no scamming, hacking, dupping or ebay.... scams/hacks/dupe/ebay are for people who cannot play the game propally because they dont know how to (stupid retards)

12. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

methinks people wanted pskulls for the soj + 3 pskull + rare thing. sockets the rare. also the 6 pskull re-roll i think, although I can't offer a decent timeline on when those were introduced. Then again, pskulls in weaps = leech, armor = managen / rep.

Remember the rep sorcs from classic? svs duels could last up to 1/2 an hour :lol:

Iunno, prob. got rich from the pskulls, although when I started it was 3-4 for a soj. I also traded quest items for gear, like horadric cubes :) People bought them, for the mules; guess I was like a conveniance store.
    1.09 - 1.10, converted my entire soj wealth and most everything else into Um runes. It's done nicely.

13. Vick_Mackey

Vick_Mackey IncGamers Member

I got rich in 09 by serious azz mfing (Pindleskin runner extradonaire :flip: )
    I usually ran with 2 completely decked out mf chars (barb and sorc) both using 40 * 7 sc's isted ali babas, perfect travs, etc... To make a long story short, Pindleskin is who made me rich but I quit once, came back to see what the hoo haa bout 1.10 was about, and subsquently quit the addiction that is D2 once and for all :thumbsup:

14. toader

toader Banned

To answer the original question about WHY these currencys came into place.

It was because of the old good cube recipes involving p.skulls, they are now removed. Thats the reason skulls evolved into currency. As for SOJS and gold...well... People wanted the Gold so they could gamble, and back in 1.08 you have ALOT higher chance to gamble a unique than now. So people would take all their gold, go to normal and gamble TONS of unique rings..that turned out to be SOJS. Obviously the SOJ is a good ring for casters, so it evolved into a currency. Then of course all of the rings gambled in 1.08 got duped ALOT right before 1.09 came out, and once they patched up to 1.09 all the SOJS from 1.08 became permanent. Of course, some more duping was done in 1.09, but most of the sojs you see around now are from 1.08.

And thats the story...

15. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Those are very interesting posts guys. Toad's post was quite illuminating and I think it couldn't have been more accurate. Somehow reading through this is tempting me to uninstall LOD and play Diablo classic. I miss using rares (for every part of my gear) and still be uber.

Hmmm...I might just do that.

16. toader

toader Banned

Well, not many people play classic, so if your looking to be uber by other people standards....you might be alone. If you dont mind playing alone, then there is no reason that you cant be uber (or good at the game) with all rares in 1.10. There are some very very nice rares out there now.

But if you wanna revert back to use the old recipes....then, thats your only option.

17. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

I made alot of wealth in 09 by rushing people and getting payed lots. Mw and my buddy had a little business where we full rushed someone for payments and split the proceeds. The amount of times we got scammed sort of got balanced by the fact that when we did get payed we got payed ALOT for example i once got payed a total of 9 290 pdsc's for 2 full rushes off the same guy. That was a super deal. 1 soj for a full rush was standard price and we got that quite alot too.

When 1.10 came out i had quite alot of good items (120/45 helm, 160/60 armour, and a few runes) and pretty soon i had my barb kitted with enigma, botd cb and i had spares such as ethreal botd ogre maul and some legit ed/ias jewels. I was pretty happy, i even managed to get me an 18/18/9 anihilus. And then it happened... I decided to upgrade to ethreal botd cb and traded pretty much all my good tradeables (including my home made 395/15 botd cb) for what i thought was a 374/14 ethreal botd cb. Clicked ok, and got a shitty regular ethreal sword thanks to some trade hack. I know it was a trade hack because i checked it about 3 times before i accepted and im always VERY careful with valuable trades. That crushed me and i stopped playing for a while. then i started mf ing again and managed to fetch a doombringer, then a gf and now im doing OK but i really need a botd again.

Im now doing endless pit runs with no mf to hopefully find an ethreal cb (i know theres no way i'll be able to afford one with the new Rune or duped charm only economy). Thats my little story over!

P.S. Sorry for using illegal jewels, I'll never do it again honest!!!! :D

18. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I stayed poor by having valuable stuff and not trading it

*clutches .08 visc tightly*

19. PWDirect

PWDirect IncGamers Member

I too used to have a rushing business. Always made sure I was paid 2 good items. 1 up front - then the other after Act1 hell.

I never got cheated and I never cheated anyone. People recommended me to their friends and I became rich.

Had to make a new account though if I wanted to make a pvp char - ppl msging me every 15 mins :D

20. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I patiently killed Mephisto and Pindleskin over and over again. Never traded. Got filthy rich.