Please help the RAFFSTER learn more about American Sports (for socializing)

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
Please help the RAFFSTER learn more about American Sports (for socializing)

I've noticed that at least 50% of most social topics are about sports stuff. I think that is one of the reasons why after living 6 years in this country (USA) I'm still having a difficult time to socialize. I feel left out whenever sports is discussed, unless it's about MMA or Kung Fu, and that rarely happens. I know there's a lot of sports fans (even sports fanatics) on the OTF and I need to pick on your knowledge of the sports you are most dedicated to.

What I need to learn are as follows:

1. Other than basketball, football and baseball, are there other sports that are often discussed in social events? Like golf, soccer and tennis I think are second to basketball, football and baseball.

2. The basic rules of the sport. I know a little about basketball and baseball, but watching football to me is like: "If they're just going to ram into each other and get smacked down, they could get a better doze of that fighting in the UFC." I have no clue whatsoever why football players are just ramming other football players and getting sqooshed.

3. The most popular teams and players of the sport. For basketball the latest basketball players in my mind are Shaq (Lakers right?) and Kobe. I don't know anybody after them. For football totally zilch except I know one team, the New York Giants (yipee!). Baseball I know a little about the Yankees, Red Socks and ........ forgot. Baseball player I know is that Japanese Yankee dude I forgot his name.... not Sukaraba I'm sure.

4. Seasons these sports are played and other key terminology. One time I pissed someone off I thought he'd flip when I told him that I had no idea what half time meant except that it's where hot babes who can't sing try to sing. In baseball it's the play-off's right? In basketball it's .... sorry...

5. Other pertinent information that won't make me look like a tourist in social gatherings where sports is brought up.

Totally appreciate any input you can throw my way about this query of mine. I figured some sports fans here wouldn't mind sharing a bit.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Hockey.

2. Five guys try and get a puck past five other guys to shoot it at the net, guarded by a sixth guy. Everyone has skates and sticks, they wear lots of padding (NFL-ish I'd say on the top, and more on the bottom), and fighting is considered part of the game.

3. Hockey doesn't really have 'popular' teams, it's very much a hometown heroes kind of game.

4. Winter. There's basic things like offsides, there are playoffs at the end of a season for the chance to raise Lord Stanley's Cup (it's not a jock, so no, don't go there =P), and there's oh so much terminology I can't begin to mention what might be important.

5. Watch a game. Where do you live?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
basic rules of college football

1. "The BCS sucks"
2. "I love/hate Notre Dame"
3. "I think X conference is overrated"

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Hockey.

2. Five guys try and get a puck past five other guys to shoot it at the net, guarded by a sixth guy. Everyone has skates and sticks, they wear lots of padding (NFL-ish I'd say on the top, and more on the bottom), and fighting is considered part of the game.

3. Hockey doesn't really have 'popular' teams, it's very much a hometown heroes kind of game.

4. Winter. There's basic things like offsides, there are playoffs at the end of a season for the chance to raise Lord Stanley's Cup (it's not a jock, so no, don't go there =P), and there's oh so much terminology I can't begin to mention what might be important.

5. Watch a game. Where do you live?
Thanks for the replies. I live in NY, New York now but I used to live in Jersey.

Ash: Wikipedia has too much information. I just need like super basics. I'm that NOOB to sports, unless of course it's about martial arts.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Try catching a Rangers game on TV, or the Islanders. Yes, there are two teams in NY. The New Jersey Devils are a pretty good team, and their goalie is one of Canada's favourites for the Olympics. Well, used to be. He's kinda getting old now.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the replies. I live in NY, New York now but I used to live in Jersey.

Ash: Wikipedia has too much information. I just need like super basics. I'm that NOOB to sports, unless of course it's about martial arts.
then you like RUTGERS(red/white) and are watching the game RIGHT NOW

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
Hockey of course is Canadian.
Basketball was invented by a Canadian.
Decades before Lil' Abner played a game, there was a similar game played in Ontario.
North American football was invented in Canada then the yanks added a down and made the fieldsmaller.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
For Hockey, the 'Canes rule. And I'm not just saying that because they play here all the time, either.

Baseball-
Yankees rule!
Cubs Suck!
Red Sox were crap for a long time, then won for once.

Football- I got nothing.

Hockey of course is Canadian.
Basketball was invented by a Canadian.
Decades before Lil' Abner played a game, there was a similar game played in Ontario.
North American football was invented in Canada then the yanks added a down and made the fieldsmaller.
Why can't we Yanks be as good as you Canucks? Oh wait, 'Canes pwn.

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
Learn Football and Baseball. Those are the two major sports in the US. Yes, regionally, you may have other sports, but if you stick with those two you will be fine. If you want to cover your bases, scan the sports section and read the headlines for the other sports. Since it is football season, not baseball, you only have to focus on it.

Disclaimer: You may need to add some other sports knowledge depending on where you live. If you live in the north, you may want to pay attention to hockey, but if you live down south, you will need to know NASCAR.

Also, you are expected to know the very basics of most sports. Hockey is played on ice, a round of golf has 18 holes, ..., that sort of thing.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
When you're talking of basketball btw, I feel that rather than being a pro fan, it's a lot more fun to be a college fan. You become much more immersed in your team and it can become really interactive.

P.S....GO DUKE!

5Ws

Banned
The only thing you need to learn in order to socialize:
"Oh that's such a bull**** call..."

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Sit down and watch a few games of each with someone who understands them and can explain what is going on. Baseball and Football will be the 2 hardest to understand as their are huge amounts of strategy occuring that add loads of depth.

I understand where you come from. When I lived in the M.E. all the people I knew were mostly Brits. I spent one whole Super Bowl explaining what was going on to the 10 of them who watched it with me. But mostly they talked about Footy (Luckily I'm a player and fan and could follow lots of this), Rugby and Cricket of which I knew almost nothing about. Watching a few games and asking questions helped loads. ALthough it won't help you with the history of the game it does help in the moment and season.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
As for basketball Shaq is not the most recent player. The second coming of Jordan aka Lebron James is widely considered to be the best player in the game right now. He plays for Cleveland. The NY Knicks (your basketball team) sucks, and probably wont be relevant for a couple of seasons. If anyone asks, their coach sucked and they overpayed the players. There now your all caught up.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, the best thing for you to watch in order to learn everything there is to know is Espn for learning about the game and current info, but for the history of sports, watch Espn Classic. Those 2 channels will show you everything you need to know and if you have cable they should both be on there,

@pancake-sure....lets just see how good they do in a few weeks when McRoberts jams it right over Visser's head haha. Btw, where do you live pancake, around Winston-salem or Wake Forest, just wondering because the team moved from Wake to winston.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
The only sports I'm into are watersports.
:laugh: and also :shocked:

As for which of the big three sports to watch/get to know I suggest you go with baseball first just because that's my favorite sport. It's steeped in tradition, tons of stats, and it's got the longest season of any sport (Spring Training usually begins in early April with the real season lasting from late April to October if you count the playoffs). It might seem boring to watch at first but once you start watching and really get what's going on then it get pretty interesting.

The easiest sport to get introduced to is probably basketball. The action is constant, not too many detailed nit-picky rules, the games are usually easy to catch and it's not like you have to watch a game every night (like in baseball). Just watch a lot of Sportscenter and you'll eventually get weened into whichever sport you like.