Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please help! My 84 MF Sorc (who dies just mentioning the word HELL!)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Malgor, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Please help! My 84 MF Sorc (who dies just mentioning the word HELL!)

I've got an 84 orb/firewall/teleport/static field sorceress, and although I can run the pits, with usually only a death if the named bowazon spawns, I haven't been able to run anything else.

My MF is about 425. My resists are all -50 worse.

I started a Hammerdin since I hear that is a lot easier to do MF runs and over the last two days have gotten him to 40, and by Monday should be 55-65.

I try the teleport technique to zap my way around but if I hit a room with a bunch of monsters, or a mini-boss, I'm dead before I can warp out.

What am I doing wrong (besides sucking!).

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

most likely you are dying to elemental enchanted bosses or missile barrages. for missiles with my sorc (cl/orb, meteorb) i generally try to kill them on the edge of the screen. for elementals, i have to use absorb (resist alone is not enough.) cold absorb is not bad, i just stay away from the death nova. lightning enchant and holy freeze bosses i use tgods. for fire enchanted, i use a dwarf star.

you will probably have to sacrifice some mf to stay alive. i would recommend wiz spike and stormshield. harle/war travs help in the dr dept as well. with dwarf star/tgods, you can still get around 400 mf.

another problem you might be having is that you can't cast tport fast enough to escape. what i did was to gamble rare rings/ammy's with fcr/mf. crafting isn't bad, but you need a high level char to get +2 skills on an ammy.

energy shield may help too. it takes phys and elemental damage.

3. Hellsrevenge_1

Hellsrevenge_1 IncGamers Member

what to do?

"My MF is about 425. My resists are all -50 worse".
    You gotta get your resists to 0 or better in hell, loose a little MF for better resist gear, put a P-diamond or um in your shield. 300 MF should do ya fine.

Also, get some FHR charms and a merc...

IMHO
    good luck

4. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

The wizard spike is probably beyond my means since it's dexterity 75 and mine is 40, I could use it by the time I'm near 99 though! (I have one on a mule, so getting it is no problem - the +75 to all resists and 50% fast cast rate are extremely nice).

To up my magic find I've been using the Skull Collector Rune Staff (+2 skills, +20 mana after each kill, 84% MF, socketed (1), and 20% increase maximum mana). I'm also using a PTopaz Tarnhelm which is 63% MF. I only have two tal's armor (helm and swirling crystal) and I can use those with my Visceratuant Defender, but that lowers my MF to about 250.

[edit] Oh, I do use Energy Shield and Shiver Armor or Chilling Armor (depends upon situation), but all just have 1 point in them. When I started over a couple years ago the Frozen Orb Sorceress was unstoppable, then with the expansion they introduced resists on creatures, which totally screwed up my build. I should start her over, but, quite frankly, I like her too much!

5. Nobbler

Nobbler IncGamers Member

If I were you I would start her over. Firewall just doesn't cut it anymore. I tried four builds before I settled on orb/meteor/fireball. You should take down your mf % to about 300 and add resists. The difference between 300 and 425 is not really alot and you will save time by not dieing as much. Add a p topaz to your tals armor and wear rings with fcr and resists and collect all charms with resists.

6. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

I've started a hammerdin that is level 42 now. Would it be just easier to level the Hammerdin and use him for MFing?

I did this after reading they can solo Baal in Hell (not sure if this is true since I'm only halfway through NM at the moment.

7. katjira

katjira IncGamers Member

Its very true. My hammerdin is lvl ** and he can solo baal. I normally equip him with dwarf star, raven frost and t-gods, then use vigor to run thru worldstone, since I'm not rich enough to afford enigma. I wear an upgraded skulders armor, shako, war travs, wizspike, zak shield. After I kill the minions I switch out my frostburns for chance guards and the t-gods for an upgraded goldwrap.

Learning how to aim your hammers takes a bit of practice but with a good merc using a Reaper's Toll you can take a hammerdin to mf just about anywhere in the game.

8. xXxDraGonFlYxXx

xXxDraGonFlYxXx IncGamers Member

i agree with this guy ...my hammerdin is only lvl 73 and about equiped the same and that guy is rockin....act 2 hell is going almost to easy for him and i have about 275% mf plus almost maxed resist.. so lvl up your hammerdin :thumbsup:

9. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Which is the best merc for the Hammerdin. Someone told me NM act 2 defensive is "holy freeze". Is this the one I should be using? He dies so fast right now hard to keep him alive (albeit he doesn't have the best stuff yet).

And, yes especially in tight quarters I find using the hammers tough.

10. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

pretty much all the two step deaths involve lack of resist.

my pally found a normal pally shield with resists and put in 4 pdiamonds (all pally shields get the max sockets) for 101% resists from shield only.

11. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Dude...easy

Get this if you can

Occy
    Tal belt armor ammy
    SS (definitely helps you live, max block too)
    travs
    magefist (will give you the 70ish fcr bp, 30 occy 20 magefist 20 tals)
    nagels
    get a gheeds and anni, and fill the rest with resist charms, ss makes you a meph tank, your resists should be like 10/75/75/-20

12. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

any char without resists shouldnt make it through nightmare anymore...

First of all, if you cant survive the run, then you are focusing too much on the mf and not enough on the run itself.

All sorcs should be able to wear a wiz spike, its a necessity to be able to hit max resists when teleporting, throw in enough faster cast to reach the 75% breakpoint, and you shouldnt be hit. Energy shield can lead to death when teleporting though, as no mana = no tele = you dead from those fanata / holyfreeze combined stygian doll packs.

I hate to say it, but you need to remake your sorc, your equip doesnt sound too bad.

Oh, and you can run nm mephisto and baal for an occy, they arnt too terribly hard to find.

13. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

what's a hammerdin?

14. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

a paladin that uses the skill blessed hammer as a primary attack with the concentrate aura active (enhances blessed hammer's damage).

15. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Is there a secret to all these abbreviations? Or a list somewhere?

I started D2 when it came out.. years ago? And just recently started playing a bunch more as I'm more bored with EQ.

16. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I think you should make your sorc again, from the beginning. She is potencially greatest m-finder but:
    1. You should have high dex and use a shield (high block rate). Rythme runeword is a common, cheap and good sollution.
    2. Using Skull collector after NM does not work in v. 1.10. Oculus is a cheap but a bit suicidal weapon. Wizard spike does not give you + skills or mf but great resists and
    3. Your resists should be maxed.
    4. Do NOT give a single point in ES (if you don´t play a VERY special meele build)
    4.MF over 269% (= 200% uniqe find) does not make any sense if you are dying.
    5. FW is a great necro spell (if using TO´s set and BP) but meteor/FB works much better for mf sorc.
    6. According my own expirience, full TR set works best for an often soloing sorc. It gives a very good balance between def (armour, resists, life regeneration), attack (+ skills, +15% cold dmg , -15% monsters fire/light res) and mf (you can hardly get it under 400% and easly over 500%).
    7. What´s about your merc? It should be 1/2 of your build.

17. Good-At-Trading

Good-At-Trading Banned

Sorc's are not the best for running pits. Because the most dominate sorcs are one skill tree dependent. My Mf orb sorc does meph runs with 750% mf in usually less than a minute. When I get bored of meph runs I hop onto my newly born skellimancer and I am able to solo hell pits, diablo, and baal. With an army numbering over 50 I lag some but I never really have to worry about dying.

So my suggestion is to remake your sorc, unless you want to do pit runs and stuff you can either make a hammerdin or a skellimancer, or a Strafeazon. Just in my opinion.

18. noogabooga

noogabooga IncGamers Member

for a sorc to successfully run the pits, she should employ a merc (nm act 2 offensive - might - to maximise his physyical damage) - give the merc a bonehew, tal mask and shaftstop/duriel shell, all of which are relatively easy to obtain. When u tp into or near a crowd, the merc will advance to attack (or you take a few steps back) and provide a nice meat shield while you stay back and pound them.

against ranged attackers I often stop tping around and found it easier to dodge their missiles by running side to side and attack in-between.

19. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

I had the same problem w/ my sorc at first but now she does fine in pits, and I don't have the best resist. Nor is she points perfect (I wasted some on light nova - egads!). Orb and meteor work fine there, but the key is to have an Act2 defiance merc. Takes SOOO much heat off the sorc, giving her time to bombard em. HUGE boost to yer defense. Nice thing is its fairly cheap to equip a decent merc:

Helm - stealskull or crown of thieves
    Armor - duriels
    Weapon - bonehew (socket w/ amn if possible)

Life leech is his friend :)

Good luck!

20. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

Just thinking about your build as is and trying to answer the "Whatamigonnadonow"... I guess these are things I would consider if I was looking at your situation.

At lvl 84 and with your dex where it is now, forget the shield for blocking since you have no way to make up the dexterity it would need. Go for your shield to have fast cast and resistance and get your fast cast up high enough that you can get by things before they know you are there.

You maybe need to change your tactics. Break a run into 2 parts. Look at the trip to your target as 1 journey, and wasting the target as the other - Wear 2 suits of clothes. I have a barbarian that uses all mf gear for walking Worldstone 1 & 2, changes clothes for baals minions and puts mf back on for baal. It takes maybe 2 minutes for the 2 costume changes, but I get maxxed resistances, extra life and extra dexterity for the extra time, and since the minions have never been anything more to me than something to get past to get at baal.....

Vipermagi has what - 30% fast cast on it +1 skills and 25-35 resistance?

If the reqs. on the wizardspike are too high, consider putting a hel rune in it or at least a -15 req jewel. Spectral shard had 50% faster cast 10% res all and only 61 dex req.

Look at some of the unique necro wands - suicide branch is 50% fast cast and no dex requirement. Blackhand key is an interesting one with fast cast and the charges of grim ward on it - I can definately see how it could be used in conjunction with firewall...

Gamble some fast cast rings.

Lidless wall/wall of eyeless both have 20% fast cast, althought no resistance, moser's with 2 perf diamonds is good for resistance.

For firewall I would go with the holy freeze merc, you need something to slow them down as they run at you and as they run through the fire wall.