Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please help me decide my next character (for ladder)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by raffster, Mar 25, 2004.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Please help me decide my next character (for ladder)

Right now, I have in one account 7 characters composed of:

1. Pure Hammerdin
    2. FO/Meteor Sorc
    3. Pure Bonemancer
    4. CONC Barb
    5. LF/PJ Javazon
    6. Kickasin w/ points in WoF
    7. Pure Wind Druid

On an account I share with a trusted friend we have a Pure Blizzard Sorc.

All characters are built based on guides provided in their specific character guide forums.

I am thinking about making my "last" character for this ladder season and would like to know what character type or build that would be really fun to play with. I am opening to anything and I don't really care whether it's a PvP or PvM or even good at both type of character. The advice must come from people who actually played the build they recommend. Please also tell me why you think it's fun to play with.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I'm in the middle of building a Vengeance Paladin. It is SO fun. I'm in act3 NM, and I've got some cool gear for him that he's wearing now (Vamp Gaze, HoZ, Ethereal Ginther's Rift, Shaft/Guardian Angel, etc. It's by far the most fun character I've ever played, but you have to like paladins. Nothing is immune to you either :)

3. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I'm re-building an electric-flood sorcy right now. Used to have one in classic, but they're just so much fun. Basically charged bolt for the lower levels, then lightning / chain lightning. Its not really viable for pvp, unless you get the charged dam high enough (and solid life) for lld. Just loads of fun to totally soak your screen with lightning. Totally waste that one carver, even if you burn 800 mana doing it.

Depending on what gear you have available:
    Lower levels:
    Peasant helm / Lore
    Vipermagi / Stealth / Que Hegan's (sp?)
    Frosties
    Waterwalks
    Suicide branch / Razortail / Sorc orb / Shard
    Nightsmoke / Lenmyo
    Eyeless / Rhyme
    Sojs (though this might not be worth it, on ladder)

Then just sub in sorc staples (occy, lidless etc) as you get higher. Pretty simple to make.
    Max charged bolt!

4. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

I actually got severely tired of playing my Avenger. It's probably because I'm poor as hell when it comes to items, but I stalled out in Hell Act 1 (and wouldn't have gotten that far had I been playing HC, like I am now). Of course, you sound like you have not only the means but the ends to properly outfit the guy, so go for it if it appeals to you (Hint: Never ever use Black Hades. Ever.)

I would suggest something less mainstream, though. Perhaps a Charged Boltress? A Singer? A Fendazon? Believe it or not, non-mainstream characters can be not only fun but powerful as well.

Builds I'd avoid: Lightning Trapsin, Skellimancer.

Of course, this whole thing is personal preference. I find both the Lightning Trapsin and the Skellimancer to be terminally boring. My Trapsin died because I got bored of her and tried to duel; my skellimancer because the routine becomes so.... er, routine, that I wasn't paying full attention and got picked off by archers. Although, again, if you play Softcore you needn't worry about trifling things like paying attention.

Just some suggestions.

Have fun.

5. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Last time I checked, the avenger wasn't 'mainstream'. In fact your average b-net denzien comments, "wtf, u r noob. why u use conviction if u dont use foh?!?! n00b! "

6. raffster

Thanks for the suggestion guys (they were all excellent) but now I will have to think hard and deep about this.

Nobody mentioned about poisonmancer, rabbis druid, strafazon, frenzy barb, Templar, or another assassin build. Anybody played any of these and had massive fun with it?

7. might

might IncGamers Member

The most fun I've ever had was playing a melee enchantress. I also had a ton of fun building a Frost Zealot following Kitriara's guide.
    Ironically, I find an Avenger to be pretty much boring. I hate having to click on every single thing to attack :p

8. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Poisonmancer may be the most fun character I've played up since 1.10 was released. Not that fun in normal, but when poison nova gets a decent level it gets really fun. And those damned swarms in act 2 and 3 dies from one single nova (not to mention those irritating cave leapers - with this one you don't have to hunt them down). Of course you have poison dagger as well. Very nice on bosses.

My build has maxed all poison skills, bone wall (for +bone armor), has 1 in all useful curses and the rest into bone prison (you could get Marrowwalk and skip these points, but as I was using the prison I put points in it).
    This means I have no minions. But you could go for minions and skip prison and wall. I suggest maxed skeleton mastery and raise skeleton. If you're thinking of this build I think maxing skellie skills first is the best.

If you're thinking of solo poisoner you get yourself a good pit runner who can carry quite much mf without being a slow killer. I guess the poison/skelliemancer is a good mf:er as well, but as I haven't tried that combination yet I don't wanna say too much about it.

Well, good luck and if you need any help just ask me or someone in the necro forum.

9. raffster

Thanks for your input, Fearox. I do have a quick question about poisonmancer though. Could they beat bonemancers or are they beaten by bonemancers, assuming both had Enigma on them? Just curious.

10. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

If you by "beat" mean beat in a duel the answer is yes. With enough poison damage you can bring the opponents health down very fast. It's very much like drive by shooting actually :) You just have to teleport in, drop the bomb, teleport and let your lethal brew do what it's meant to do. You get bonus style points for finishing the opponent off with teeth. Without Enigma it's very difficult to win I think. You have to get close to the bonemancer while he can kill from a distance.
    In pvm I think poison mancers are better than bonemancers in many ways. The most important part is that they are much more fun to play. Of course there are more poison immunes than magic immunes, and in overall gameplay a bonemancer may be better built for soloing. But if you do The pit and places like that there's not gonna be any problems.

Quick question, slow answer.

11. Nerimuker

Nerimuker IncGamers Member

I would suggest trying to play with what you find. Dont use your mules: it adds a new element to the game.

12. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I'm currently having a lot of fun with a mav's set Freezing Arrow zon, any FA zon would be cool. However, with mavs you GLOW.

13. Criku

Criku IncGamers Member

Yea ! I´d suggest an vengeance+conviction paladin too. Really fun to play and monsters are not immune only to you, but to your party members too, which can make you very welcome to party where are sorcs or other elemental attack users :)