Please help! (Fast!)

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
Please help! (Fast!)

So, I have about an hour and a half befor I leave the house to go to my High School Convocation. Problem is, I have to do the Salutatorian speech and don't know how to end it, or even if the speech itself is good enough.

I'd really appreciate some help, criticism would be good, but most importantly, I need a conclusion!

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, teachers and administrators, friends and family, fellow graduates. Tonight we recognize and celebrate the choices and sacrifices we've made, and the rewards we've earned through our experiences. And here we are, all dressed up in our graduation gowns, with our heads high, ready to accept our diplomas, and ready to accept the challenges our futures demand.

Tonight is the culmination of five years of our lives. This is the final, deciding step at the end of a long chapter. PCHS has been a major part of our lives, but now is the time to look beyond the horizon and step into the wide world waiting for us. We all have dreams, some impossible, some merely figments of our imagination, but if there's one thing we all should have learned, it's to take advantage of opportunities. "To Strive, To Seek, To Find." (school motto)

We're gathered here tonight as a community to celebrate the graduation of the Class of 2005. It's this community that has been the fundamental factor in our success, and ultimately, in our presence here. Though this community means many different things to many different people and manifests itself in various ways, its underlying importance and purpose remains the same. This community has provided, for each of us, invaluable support and guidance, and a purpose.

Like an intricate mosaic, this multi-faceted community is composed of many pieces, many unique individuals, all linked together, creating one larger image. No mosaic can be complete without the balanced coexistence and cooperation of each of its fragments. They all come together to form the finished product. But the most important point is that each piece depends on the support of its neighbours.

To some extent or other, each of us conforms to this "larger image" in order to achieve a sense of belonging. But in fact, it's each person's uniqueness that makes the larger image shine. We all chose to walk through these windowless halls. For some, the decision was dark, and uncertain, but for the others, they were just full of excitement and would have been ready to make their own windows. In any case, we're all here tonight.

And despite this common path of PCHS, we're all still unique, and many of us are about to split away again. What makes a person is the goals they set for themselves and their ability to meet these goals. And goals are derived from dreams. So dream high, and dream the impossible. Those dreams are the basis of your uniqueness, and those dreams will keep you going far in life.

For now, we've all achieved the dream of completing high school. But there are still so many dreams yet to come, yet to work for, yet to accomplish. And throughout all our endeavours, we will always have other members of our communities to support us.

(UNSURE ABOUT CLOSING WORDS)
And that's how I gave it in to my guidance counselor. She suggested I add in some credits and thanks but we later on decided that was more of a Valedictorian thing.

Any help appreciated! An hour and a half before I leave!

Thanks in advance :clap:

rawrj

Diabloii.Net Member
ok i got it,

Now thats out the way, lets just get DRUNK !!!!

MUHAHAHA,

nah i have never been any good at speechs, sorry no help from me ^.^

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
I tend to fail with humor, and that might well be the case with this speech as well, since the general tone of the speech is fairly serious.

I was trying to continue the community theme but there's only so much I can really say about that.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Everything is different, but the same...things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller...it's computers...San Dimas High School football rules!

rawrj

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Everything is different, but the same...things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller...it's computers...San Dimas High School football rules!
i say go with that one, but can the last bit to

i going bak to my computer DIABLO 2 RULES!!!!

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry dude but it doesn't matter what you say... i read that thing and EVERYONE will be asleep by that time.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Thats a good speech man, the only thing its missin is a quote from a historical figure.

If you want to continue the community theme, google "community quotes" or somethin like that.

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh, I'm not worried about the sleep part, nobody will really be listening except for administrators anyways. I'm basically doing this because I figure it's a honor to be chosen for this position and I'd better not discourage the poor people.

PatMaGroin, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I thought of getting a quote but was afraid it'd be a little tacky or overdone. No choice I guess.

Can I just say "Allow me to leave you with a quote" and say it?

I kind of like this one:

Sandra Day O'Connor said:
We don't accomplish anything in this world alone ... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something.
Or is there a better quote I should take? I followed the suggestion, Googled, and came up with this site: http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_community.html

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
How 'bout
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves...Here's Tom with the weather. <cut to some guy named Tom talking about the weather>
?

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
o_O way too deep. Not enough sleep to really think that through.

I'd better go now. Wish me luck, everybody!

(Or failure, whatever.) Thanks for any help you gave!

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
Kawaii said:
How 'bout
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves...Here's Tom with the weather. <cut to some guy named Tom talking about the weather>
?
Teh win+infinity

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
Not sure about a conclusion but the part about "looking beyond the horizon" doesn't make sense to me. As the horizon would be the equivalent of the future, why are you looking beyond it rather than at it? Looking beyond the present makes sense to me, looking beyond the future just sounds strange.

That aside, to conclude, if you want to continue the community theme coupled with the future theme, how about something like "in conclusion, what we have learned here has prepared us to face new challenges, overcome new obstacles within the framework of a vibrant community, to succeed while not isolated, but as part of the whole" or some such bull****.

Dutch

NefariousNothing

Diabloii.Net Member
[exile] said:
Originally Posted by Sandra Day O'Connor
We don't accomplish anything in this world alone ... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something.
Wow. I really like that quote. Hope it went well! :thumbsup:

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
Just be like,

"everything you will ever need to know... you learn in highschool" I'm sure you'd get a chuckle or two. In actuallity, you will look back 3 years from now and realize how surreal highschool is. and BELIEVE ME it will come faster than you can blink.

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
So, my sister somehow managed to come home on time, read the thing, and change around basically the whole second half. It ended up sounding much better.

I managed to not stutter or stumble on any words. So I guess it went surprisingly well.

Thanks to all who helped (and/or cared to ask how it went :D)!

(farting bob: Haha, didn't faint. Got up there, took a couple of seconds, and just kept talking.)

(If anything, I'm surprised I didn't fall off the stairs or something.)