Please help Dave with the map seed command

Dave in the basement

Diabloii.Net Member
Please help Dave with the map seed command

Hello SPF!

While doing some mindless (apparently too mindless…) Pindle runs last night, I accidentally switched difficulty levels, thereby kissing my great Durance and WSK maps good-bye. I am hoping that someone can help me restore those, if it is even possible.

1. Is there any way to identify that previous map seed using ATMA, or anything else?
2. If I do manage to obtain the map seed, how do I switch back to it? I haven’t tried any of the flag commands (like the act 5 one), so please feel to over-explain this one. Dave = clueless!

Or if you can point me to a thread that explains how to do that, that would also work. I tried searching, but the search function didn’t seem to be working.

Thank you in advance for helping me out! :thumbsup:

Dave

bhaalistik

Diabloii.Net Member
Dave in the basement said:
Hello SPF!

While doing some mindless (apparently too mindless…) Pindle runs last night, I accidentally switched difficulty levels, thereby kissing my great Durance and WSK maps good-bye. I am hoping that someone can help me restore those, if it is even possible.

1. Is there any way to identify that previous map seed using ATMA, or anything else?
2. If I do manage to obtain the map seed, how do I switch back to it? I haven’t tried any of the flag commands (like the act 5 one), so please feel to over-explain this one. Dave = clueless!

Or if you can point me to a thread that explains how to do that, that would also work. I tried searching, but the search function didn’t seem to be working.

Thank you in advance for helping me out! :thumbsup:

Dave
Try starting here...

http://www.rpgforums.net//showthread.php?t=130059

Red Drak and Wolfie were talking about it earlier. Hope it helps!

in the shortcut to LOd, right clik, then click properties, in the shortcut section in the 'target' box, you have the file name in " ". after that, add -seed X (X beign the seed number)
so you have somethign like
"D:\Diablo\Diablo II.exe" -seed 52
in the target box.

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
The best way to do this is to open up an old backup of the character when they still had the map. Look in the Stats tab of ATMA and write down the map seed. Then start up with the command that farting bob showed.

Write it down and keep it somewhere just incase it happens again. I do it with my sorc and necro, they have awesome maps.

is there a way to open up the info in the <char name>.map, or is that not related to the map seed? if you can see it someway liek this, it will give you info on the last save you made, whcih might be better than an old version that hasnt been updated for ages.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member
Dave in the basement said:
Thanks for the quick help, everyone! I should be back on course this evening...

Drinks on Wolfie at the EMB! :drink:

Dave
dont forget FB and serdash

anyway note that there is next to none random checks for monsters when using the command.

thats why i dont use it myself other then for test chars

burke615

Diabloii.Net Member
lone_wolf said:
note that there is next to none random checks for monsters when using the command.
Hi, lone_wolf, what practical effect does that have on the game? I mean, are you saying that the exact same monsters spawn every time, or what?

Thanks!
Burke

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
lone_wolf said:
anyway note that there is next to none random checks for monsters when using the command.
Yeah, when I first time used that I noticed that too...I don't know if I should explain this better, but... I deleted the items I got then, I don't know if it is necessary but I did it

I use it only to give my chars their map seed back after MP games. When I have opened the chars in game launched with seed command, I save&exit and quit the whole game. Then I remove the "-seed x" from the command line and launch the game again. I think that is the only thing which you should do with that command, other usage I consider as cheating

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
is there a way to open up the info in the <char name>.map, or is that not related to the map seed? if you can see it someway liek this, it will give you info on the last save you made, whcih might be better than an old version that hasnt been updated for ages.
Probably, although there's no tool I know of that will do it for you. IIRC (and my memory on the files is very rusty), the map files contain the explored portions of the maps and the associated mapseed, so that the map can be checked against your character's seed to determine if a new map should be started.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member
burke615 said:
Hi, lone_wolf, what practical effect does that have on the game? I mean, are you saying that the exact same monsters spawn every time, or what?

Thanks!
Burke
more or less they might move alittle on the map or change stats but thats about it.

same way same monsters.

i have tested it with a few chars before and to see if the strange fingerpring was still in effect.

with they where not.

lprmans usage of the command is the best i think.

i stoped useing it now as my hammerdin has no problem running to the pit.

and i dont run meph that much anylonger so no need to get a good map for my sorc and then save it

my hell durance map is possibly the best. first tiem i went there. i fin the wp about 100 meters from entrance to 2. i go in 1 direction, through about 4 rooms and i see the entrance to d3. it takes about 30 seocnds even when killing the monsters i meet to get to durance 3.

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
When I used -seed x on command line while playing, I noticed a very weird/bad thing and im not sure if I should post it here because I think it is cheating (well it has its own disadvantages). That was when I deleted my items