Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please help a Neophyte Sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Aegon, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

Please help a Neophyte Sorceress

Hello everyone! I've been busy working on a Sorceress because my Hammerdin has become so incredibly boring to play. I've just hit level 75, and am struggling through Act 1 Hell. (just rescued Cain). I love how the sorceress forces you to actually PLAY, as opposed to simply spamming hammers. Long story short, the going's gotten really hard, and I was wondering if you folks could give me a hand with somr Stat point allocation, as well as some equipment suggestions. Thanks in advance! (by the way, she's a meteorb sorc...I was told they were the easiest to start with)

*Str--90
    *Dex--62
    *Vit--42
    *Ener--50

I have 216 points remaining (I hate spending them). I know I need more dex and vit, but I'm hoping for some input.

Here's what I'm wearing:

*Hat--Natalya's Totem
    *Armor--Skin of the Vipermagi
    *Belt--Bladebuckle
    *Orb--Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye
    *Shield--Moser's Blessed Circle (with 2 Perfect Diamonds)
    *Gloves--Frostburns (I'm going to upgrade these)
    *Boots--War Travelers (A nice gift from a total stranger :worship: )
    *Amulet--Crescent Moon
    *Rings--Dwarf Star + Nagelring

Unfortunately, I'm not on the Ladder, so upgrading isn't in the cards. I haven't been playing long,and she's outfitted with the very best of what I've found and traded for. Soon, I should be getting Tal Rasha's Hat & Belt from my friend, so I'll be switching to those as soon as possible.

Once again, thanks a whole lot, folks!

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

the gear looks fine to me. its not top of the line, but its pretty good. and like you said, its your 2nd ladder char, so ur not exactly rich.

stat points: the first thing to do is make sure you have enuf str/dex for gear and enuf mana. it sounds like you have done this. from there, there are 2 places to drop significant stat points: dex and vit. dex is if you want block. i can't remember moser's block % of the top of my head, but you may need a dif shield for it wich would mean sacrificing significant res. your choice. if you don't want block, the rest goes to vitality. more life is always good.

3. warding

warding Banned

Max block with mosers is a pain. If you can get near max resists without mosers, i'd recommend a higher blocking shield. Otherwise you'll have to play very cautiously, a well fitted merc can help if you're low on block.

On Str: No more unless you plan to use a SS or something in the future.
    Dex: Either Max block or leave it, I personally prefer max block but that would depend on a good blocking % shield.
    Vit: Either everything, or everything minus Max block Dex.
    Energy: Leave it as it is.

Basically either go blocking or non-blocking. Blocking = Dex, rest in vit. Non-blocking = everything in vit.

If you want to use SS, you'll need str as well
    Otherwise get a Whistans, if you're on USEast, I might have one for you.

4. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the help, guys; It really cleared things up for me. I just have one last question for you... Would you recommend going the Max-block route, or dump everything into Vit? It just seems that to achieve max-blocking requires an obscene dexterity investment that might be points better spent in Vit. However, stopping 75% of hits you would otherwise have to dodge has it's attractions as well.

By the way, what's an SS? I haven't checked out the Whistan's... but if it comes recommended it has to be good :uhhuh: . I am on USEAST, if your willing to trade that Whistan. I don't have a lot to offer, but I can try to scrounge something up.

If anyone wants to quest in a Mellow way, just message *Charon79 on USEAST Non-ladder. Thanks fellas!

5. abaddon

abaddon IncGamers Member

My opinion: max your block - it actually triples your life.
    SS is Stormshield which according to me is the best shield for sorc (req 156 str)
    Other good shield is Gerkes Sanctuary (req 133 str). If you can not afford these 2 you can always make a Rhyme runeword (Shael - Eth) - find a good shield with 2 sockets - Tower Shield, Pavise or Hyperion (for 64 % chance to block on the shield). Whinstans shield has awsome blocking but it lacks resists. On lvl 99 for max block you need 237 dex for SS, 218 dex for Gerke's, ~ 260 with 64 % Rhyme and ~180 with mosers. I dont remember exactly with the last 2.

And ... I am sure that he'll give you Whinstans as present .... :))

6. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

This is the same situation I'm running into. Regardless the number of points I put into dex, my moser's looks like it'll never max block and I've got 200 stat points into dex now at level 75. :grrr: My setup goes:

Peasant Crown
    Duriell's Shell
    Occy+Moser's w/ 2 Pdia (ali baba+rhyme'd grim on switch)
    Some 30% mf demonhide boots
    Some +1 to all sorc skills amulet
    Hwanin's Blessing
    Chance Guards
    2x Nagelring

Charms aren't really worth mentioning.
    My HF merc (66) uses a meat scrapper, skin of the flayed one, and a tal rasha's crest.

This obviously sucks from everything I've read on the boards but this level 75 is the highest character and I haven't been playing that long so I hope it isn't too bad :innocent:

I've got a Whitstan's in the bank and yeah, it rocks for max block but my resistances are pretty crappy. I'm pretty ignorant about trade value so I dunno what I should trade and I wouldn't mind some pointers on values of items. I do well on Nightmare and can solo Baal and my merc even lives through it now but man, Hell Blood Moor is evil. :(

Any recommendations on what I need to trade for, information on trade values, new direction to take my sorc, etc. Any information would be nice.

I posted this in this thread to keep from adding more posts about the same topic. Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack. BTW, Killswitch_Engage-The_End_of_Heartache-Promo-2004-AMRC is pretty damn good for all you MP3 sceners ;)

7. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Sorc...

Wow so many pts to spend $$$ :) Titan sorc!

I've been building my sorcs with:

Enough str for eq (usually 100)
    Enough dex for max block, usually 2 pts a level.
    Rest in vit
    Nothing in energy

With this I end up with around 800 life, which with max resist and blocking is pretty safe for me.

I find blocking to be incredibly useful. Even if you just use Lidless, 40% blocking is still 40% blocking. I don't use an energy shield so energy doesn't really matter, and higher end spells not in the lightning tree is very mana efficient (and there's always blue gatorade).