Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Please forgive my naivete'

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ericnfrankel, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ericnfrankel

ericnfrankel IncGamers Member

Please forgive my naivete'

I have a lvl 90 barb with IK (which I am told is obsolete). I have no problem with the Countess or Summoner, but get my assets rearranged by NIhlathak.

Any suggestions on armor or strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Re: Please forgive my naivete'

I suppose you have a whirlwind barbarian build?

What sort of advice would you be expecting? Different equipment, strategy in fighting?

3. ericnfrankel

Yes, to both.

4. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Very well then.

I suppose that your problem in whirlwinding Nihlathak and his army is that the exploding corpses get you. That problem could be fixed with a single item: a unique ring named Nature's Peace. It has the "slain monsters rest in peace" mod, which means monsters you kill cannot be exploded. That alone could be all that you needed.

As for strategy, if the exploding corpses are the problem, it would be wise to draw the majority of the monsters away from Nihlathak before attacking him. Don't be ashamed to let an act 2 mercenary to help you out, he is surprisingly tough against those explosions, and can be easily resurrected to kill more when he dies. Stepping through a town portal and back would make many of the corpses disappear, leaving you with a safer area with less "ammo" for Nihlathak to use. When Nihlathak is relatively alone, with only a couple minions to protect him, he goes down easily.

5. ericnfrankel

That's basically the strategy I use ... I go in, set a tp, kill a few critters, and run back and forth between him and town.

I'm curious, also, is there some sort of ratio regarding the number of times I kill him vs the number of times he gives up a key? The lack of drops is becoming a bit aggravating.

6. Swampgator

Swampgator IncGamers Member

You need the nature's peace ring and yes the drop rate sucks. You have a 1/61 chance that a key will drop from each of his 5 drops.
    Don't worry about people saying IK sucks. It is a good set to mf with. Use it until you can afford better gear. It works just fine though as a matter of fact you can solo baal with full IK.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. ericnfrankel

Thank you for that, I feel much better ... I thought I was losing my mind.

Okay, so to Hell with the Naysayers, which is where they belong anyway .... and .... what should I expect to pay for a peace ring?

8. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

Yea, IK is a fantastic set. The elemental and magic damage on the maul is great for those PI's

9. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

In other words, on average Nihlathak will drop one or more keys in one game out of 12,6.

10. ericnfrankel

That's what I'm thinkin'. :thumbup:

11. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus IncGamers Member

1. Leap at Nihlathak
    2. Use attack/concentrate
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

His corpse explosion shouldn't be a problem for an IK barb unless you're running him in player 8 or something. By level 90 you should be pushing 4.5k HP pretty easily.

12. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Time to go to work, work all night...

Would be good, but I understood he was a whirlwind barbarian. He could reset his skills and stats though and use that suggestion.

13. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus IncGamers Member

Well leap, leap attack and conc are all pre-reqs for whirlwind so that's covered. :p

14. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Put some Sol runes in your gear for integer pdr. That + 9 iPdr from Nature's Peace should give you about 30. Then if you can get a nice ammy that's 20-25 more. With that gear, in my ~300 Nihla runs I died a mere three times, and out of those, iirc, two were while Cursed and being bombed by a thousand of those red witch balls. :yes:

Also, if you only run Nihla, I'd suggest re-skilling to Berserk or Concentrate. You only really need Ww to whirl through the mobs on your way to Nihla, and in his room. Once I memorized the 3 different cave layouts, I was only 10-20 seconds slower than my teleporting sorc (well, I didn't time it but that's an estimate). Once you're next to Nihla just hammer away. I found Berserk wanting since you cannot leech with it; on the other hand, its damage is much bigger than that of Conc. Your call, and ofc you can always respec nowadays (thank you Blizz for adding after 10 years what should've been there right from the start! :crazyeyes:).

Paradoxically, all that safety made the runs so boring that they were one reason that led to me quitting D2 for good. But then I've already played for years and years. You eager youngsters still have some braincells to kill. :nod:

Edit: omg yes, Howl indeed. How could I possibly have forgotten..! One of the best utility skills for a Barbarian (imagine if Sorcs could have it...). In fact that's why I went with Berserk and not Conc: Howl is a synergy and so you get 20 points in it for extra length. With 1-point Howl the monsters barely run a few yards before turning back, so you'll have to howl pretty constantly.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  15. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

howl. that is all. you dont need RIP, you need howl.

16. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

17. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member