Please explain this to me. It makes NO sense! Maybe you have an answer!

Mistress Sersi

Diabloii.Net Member
Please explain this to me. It makes NO sense! Maybe you have an answer!

know this teacher friend. He has worked for at this High School for 1 semester. An open position came up at this school in his dept. He was even told he would be a prefect fit ( but this position was suppose to come up next year, things changed & it came up this year!) Rather than consider my friend (he did apply) they hired another teacher from another school.....wtf? He had a glowing teacher evaluation done at this school, in fact, in this evaluation he was recommended for future teaching contracts, HIGHLY recommended! ....He has a letter of recommendation from his dept head, the Vice Principal & Principal all said that he can use them as a reference. The staff & students love him!

What are they not telling him?

I have never heard of such a thing. Usually, it is logical to promote from within rather than bring in an outsider.

Any thoughts? My friend was on a temp contact. He knew he was only there for a semester. But then this position popped up. He was not even told about this position, he found out about it through the school board bulletin!

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Please explain this to me. It makes NO sense! Maybe you have an answer!

Maybe the other teacher was cheaper.

Mistress Sersi

Diabloii.Net Member

But the school board pays the salary, not the school. Up here in Canada, the teachers union is very strong. They have a pay grid based on years of experience & years of University.

At least if they could say that he was a poor teacher or had some issues. But no, his evaluation was outstanding. I read it. He came into a difficult situation too. He came in the middle of a school year. The previous teacher quit teaching for good, but never told anyone. They needed someone to come in & hit the ground running. They needed someone to clean up the mess. My friend came in & preformed above & beyond. No problems & never even 1 complaint about him.

WTF?

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member

Any thoughts? My friend was on a temp contact. He knew he was only there for a semester. But then this position popped up. He was not even told about this position, he found out about it through the school board bulletin!
Welcome to reality. It happens a lot around my work. The managers generally says things to the temp to keep them motivated to work or just say something nice to get them out of the office.

What do you expect them to say?

KillerAim

Diabloii.Net Member

There's nothing unusual there. It happens here in the States, too.

A position opened up in the local high school's English Department. My wife, who works there, saw the resumes received for the position. In all, over 200 teachers applied, many of whom had been teaching English for over five years and many of whom had their masters degree in English. The position was given to the principle's son, who had just graduated from college the previous spring.

Find out some information on who gets the job. Is he or she related to any city bigwig or school board member? Does he or she qualify as a minority hire?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe they wanted someone more experienced. There's a ton of reasons why someone doesn't get a job even if they look to be a good fit.

Mistress Sersi

Diabloii.Net Member

SO then why the hell would people want to work hard if they are going to get screwed over like this?

This is such BS! Everyone is telling my friend to keep working hard & good things will happen. But it seems like hard work is of little value.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Because he didn't get a promotion after teaching for a semester? It seems a bit rash to decide not to continue to work hard just because this didn't work out.

Maybe the teacher that was hired was also hired to coach a specific sport? I know in my state in the US the varsity coaches have to teach in the district in order to be eligible to coach.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Politics or someone else was a better fit.

LuckyMe

Diabloii.Net Member

Reasons:
- experience
- schooling
- politics
- visible minority/ woman
- sometimes when it comes to school culture you need new people
- may want current temp to work longer in said position
- rotation (my old high school did it) where teachers are moved around periodically.

Mistress Sersi

Diabloii.Net Member

My friend did coach at this school. Every month he did something extra circular for the school. He volunteered a lot of his time.

This guy is not a visible minority, he has the same experience as my friend. In fact, he was at the same seminars for teachers new to ####### that my friend was at, so the merit factor is thrown out. He is not some teacher that has 25 years experience. He has the same as my friend. He cannot be a better fit, experience is the same.

My friend recognized him from those seminars.

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Are you sure you can judge when it come to a friend?

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member

In the mid-nineties I worked for a large cafe-bakery company called Delifrance. I was one of three "company bakers", meaning I was Head Baker at my home store and could be called in to other stores for emergencies or to fill the role of Second Baker in understaffed stores. At one point I was working at three stores and training new bakers as well as new franchisees. There was only one person in the company with more experience and seniority than me (I was actually his Second at the busiest store in the country on weekends). I was one of the three people given personal instruction by the world-wide Head Baker (at the time there were a few hundred stores in 30+ countries and only about 25 people world-wide got this training). I was known to work 12+ hour days without demanding over-time and had the role of Assistant Store Manager at my home store without ever demanding a promotion or a pat increase. Even when I started university, and went to part-time, I was still working at two stores.

After spending a few years there i decided to try a different career path and resigned. They begged me to stay and offered me promotions and pay rises and everything, but I had other plans.

I stayed in contact with a number of the people I had worked with and a few years later, when I had realised my alternative plan was stupid, I quickly applied at the new Delifrance that opened near me. I was still one of the most experienced people in the country for the job I applied for and was certainly the most qualified applicant within more than 100km of the new store. They hired trainees as Bakers and Managers. About a year after that I was an unemployed part-time student and I had to use an employment agency as part of the Government's new program (I was forced to go with this company and they never helped me in any way). When a Baker's position opened up at the Delifrance I thought "Great! A job I'm more than qualified to do, I'm a shoe-in!" and yet the agency told me I "wasn't suitable" for the job and they had already sent an applicant there (to this day I believe they didn't send my resume out).

The moral of the story is, no matter how good an employee, no matter your experience, dedication or willingness to work under sometimes bad conditions (working in front of four 200C ovens on a 40+C summer day is unpleasant to say the least) or low pay, there is no guarantee you will get a job.

Mumia

Diabloii.Net Member

In my experience, companies rarely hire temps, especially if they look to much like the energizer bunny, because the more you do for no pay, the more you invent, the more you make the others look like a bunch of nogood snails.
If you look to good for the job, you probably are.
If you fit it perfectly, how is your boss going to make you work hard and look smarter than you, without him looking like someone that could be fired, because you can do his job easily.....
Read dilbert, that series pretty much summons it up.

Life is fair, people are not.

Its like the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question that seems to come up at every jobinterview I've been to, I know what they want to hear, but I usually reply with :
Im living off the intrest from my investments, doing whatever I want to do.
( I havent got any jobs on it yet, but it kinda sends the signal that I'm not a slave )

Comment on Sokar Rostau's reply :
Quote : "(to this day I believe they didn't send my resume out)"
Never trust any company/government agency to help you, they get paid for handling your papers, but if they find jobs for everyone they handle, they will themselves be unemployed, if you want a (good) job, go find it yourself.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member

Perhaps it was just less of a sure thing than your friend or you believe. Promotions aren't always about, "Here's a checklist. If you can do this, this, and that, you're in." Perhaps they wanted someone from the outside.

Johnny

Banned

In my experience, companies rarely hire temps, especially if they look to much like the energizer bunny, because the more you do for no pay, the more you invent, the more you make the others look like a bunch of nogood snails.
If you look to good for the job, you probably are.
If you fit it perfectly, how is your boss going to make you work hard and look smarter than you, without him looking like someone that could be fired, because you can do his job easily.....
Read dilbert, that series pretty much summons it up.
That makes no sense but telling yourself that you are infact so super smart that they cant hire you for fear of them all looking like morons. Might help you keep optimistic after each rejection.

Im living off the intrest from my investments
What investments? You cant even get a job. The closest you have to investment is a growing pile of rejection letters to insolate the walls with after the landlord turns off the heat.

I'm not a slave
The word you're looking for is "dude" like this: "Dude I'm not a slave" and formulated like this

"Dude. I'm not a slave.... Got a quarter?"

Although it's true that "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" But then again the guy who sang that also had millions and millions of dollars and all the drugs he could ever want so I would'nt take his word on it.

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member

He cannot be a better fit, experience is the same.
So the whole reason he can't be a better fit is because he's your friend? "Fit" doesn't always have to do with experience or resume bullets. Sometimes they just want a different personality type or someone with different, yet equal experience. They already have your friend, perhaps they wanted to add someone else and have different plans for him.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

That makes no sense but telling yourself that you are infact so super smart that they cant hire you for fear of them all looking like morons. Might help you keep optimistic after each rejection.
I wonder why nobody made up a conspiracy theory about it yet. That's typical for vdzele, if you need him, he's not there.
The word you're looking for is "dude" like this: "Dude I'm not a slave" and formulated like this

"Dude. I'm not a slave.... Got a quarter?"

Although it's true that "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" But then again the guy who sang that also had millions and millions of dollars and all the drugs he could ever want so I would'nt take his word on it.
Freedom is the feeling that you can do what you want. It's not that you can really do that, but the feeling or the illusion of that will suffice as well.

Regarding the original issue/poster: If you cannot get a convincing explanation from the boss, there's nothing you can do. If everything is as you said, your friend might have been a pawn in a scheme. He might have been lured to apply, so the management can keep up a facade of having a choice between somebody from the own department and (the one they actually want to have) somebody from elsewhere. Everybody might be fine with the rejection of your friend (even though they might say that it was unfair) because that promotion might offend those who are working there for a longer time already.

I don't know what the office climate is like, so my suspicions might involve too much malice.

It's a completely different question how to react on that.