Playstation 2

TheGreatStickels

Diabloii.Net Member
Playstation 2

Ok, so has anybody else noticed that after a year or two these things seem to break down and just kind of cease to read games anymore. Its happened to me twice now, and a few of my friends. Is this a fairly widespread problem with them or just bad luck on my part?

and its not just that its dirty on the inside because I've gone in and dusted it out.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm.This happens to be my area of expertise.:fish:

My first PS2, a modded V7-39001 broke in 2 weeks.The lense was fried because of faulty mod-chip installation :mad: & it couldnt read any DVD media.Ofcourse no warranty. :(
So In trying to fix it myself,I did a whole lot of research on the subject & even wrote a guide on how to adjust the laser device.

CAUSES:

Faulty media(CDR games):This happened in the early days when a lot of games were still coming out on cdrs(Bluebacks).The PS2 was geared more towards reading DVDs,but CDRs disrupted the balance.Disk read error,or DREs as they are commonly known was a problem that was fairly widespread in the earlier batches of the system.The common factor was Bluebacks.The ps2s played DVDs but not cdrs.

Dust:
yeh baby.This is two fold.First if you use media without cleaning them you are at a higher risk of DREs.Secondly:dont keep the system on a carpet or rug or dusty area.The fan pulls in dust like a vaccum & the heat binds it to the laser lense & wholla its totally blind.Sometimes the dust also settles on the shafts the laser unit moves up & down on,to read various sectors of the disk.The dust can hinder the smooth movement of the unit.This is the prime cause of mid-game DREs.If you played games like GTA,it amplified the problem,since the unit is constantly working.

Mod Chips:Stay out of this unless you absolutely must play those imports.Faulty or incorrect modchip installation can destroy the laser.Only pros with lot of experience can callibrate the laser to work with a modchip.

Poor Laser:Its just a fact,Sony used poor quality lasers in *some* of the PS2s,particularly on the vesion 4 & 7 IIRC.

The problem has died down now thankfully.The newer ps2s work nicely,especialy the smaller ones with built in network adpt. :)

Rik

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
Mine is a couple years old and I have had zero problems. :) Umm...err... haven't even cleaned it. Whoops... :p

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
You can open the case and clean the laser and fix a lot of disk reading errors. Its easy to do and hard to mess up.

Garbad

TheGreatStickels

Diabloii.Net Member
alright, so I thought I had it all working. I opened it up again and cleaned it out extremely thoroughly, put it all back together and it worked fine. I was all happy that it was working and went and got Devil May Cry 3. Got to about the third level in that and my PS2 decided that it just doesn't want to work anymore.

so frustrating

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
It must just be hit-and-miss I guess.

I bought my first PS2 back when they first came out, it worked absolutely beautifully with not a single error or freeze-up in four years straight. It was played heavily, and used for watching many DVD's as well. I ended up selling it when i moved. I then bought another one two years ago, and it too is working perfectly.

What in the heck are you doing to yours?!?

For what it's worth, I've always ALWAYS had my PS2 lying flat (not standing up). Have no clue if that matters though.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
It must just be hit-and-miss I guess.

I bought my first PS2 back when they first came out, it worked absolutely beautifully with not a single error or freeze-up in four years straight. It was played heavily, and used for watching many DVD's as well. I ended up selling it when i moved. I then bought another one two years ago, and it too is working perfectly.

What in the heck are you doing to yours?!?

For what it's worth, I've always ALWAYS had my PS2 lying flat (not standing up). Have no clue if that matters though.
That has to do with lasers.There are two sensitive valves on the back of it & if it is set right during manufacture,it works fine but a tiny deviation will cause the laser to deterioate gradually.So that should explain some systems working for eternity while others dying real quick.

Also-the flat/horizontal debate is pretty much endless.But I can tell you,it matters less.

Rik

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
my original had no problems and then I traded it towards the slim model and have had no problems with that, of course my purchases were in 2003 and 2004 so they didn't involve the hunk a junk first year models that are sony's trademark

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Most people I know with them have had some sort of problem. It seems to me to be the earlier ones which have the most things wrong with them...

Just not reading the discs seems to be the most common problem too.

KnightFall

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
by far the most common problem is a dirty lense. It will be the cause of the dreaded disk read error, or DRE. Upen it up and swab it good with a q-tip with rubbing alcohol on it.

The older PS2's have a rotating angle disc reader. It was someone's aweosme idea when designing the things to make it read different discs at different angles. Such as ps1 games, ps2 games, dvd's, and music. Sometimes when there is a dust buildup or generaly sony-ness, the angle would get offset and it wouldn't read anything. All you have to do is open it up and take off the disc lid and adjust the white angle rotator until it plays everything perfectly.

There's nothing technically wrong with the ps2's, they just get dirty and/or out of whack too easily. They are all easily fixable yourself and only take about 10 minutes to do.

evild2player

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe I got my Ps2 a few months after it was released. It has a mod chip and it has been working fine for 3 years now.