Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playing without the CD?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by nnndave, Feb 1, 2004.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Playing without the CD?

I just wanna make sure its okay to ask about this. I do have the game, I use the cd, but I just cain't find it and I don't want my characters to get deleted. Does anyone know how to use a crack or to rig your game so you don't have to have the LOD cd in to play?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

It's not ok to ask about this here, but there are other less legit forums that you could try if you need this info.

3. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Using a 'no cd hack' is in violation of the EULA because it involves replacing the executable with a 'cracked' version that forgets to look for the CD. There is another method (which probably is in violation as well, for all I know) involving mapping the CD Image as a drive, but I could not find the post a la the forum armageddon.

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Search for a little program called DaemonTools. It acts as a virtual CD drive, if you have a CD image on your HD. All you need to do then is make the CD image using any CD-writer software and voila.

5. Deadbolt13

Deadbolt13 IncGamers Member

If I'm not mistaken, computer cafes and such use that Daemon thingy.

6. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Which is funny, because the Blizzards EULA is null and void here, since our law specifically states I am allowed to use any hack or circumvention that allows me to play the game with or without the CD. I am just required to produce a legit CD to go with every installation.

And its rather stupid to go after anyway, you can CD image or get a pirated version *much* easier and better...so why punish the LEGIT hacking.

I for one am pretty tired of having to search around for the CDs every time I want to play when I've already paid Blizzard quite a bit of money for all my CDs, special editions, etc.

7. shh_123

shh_123 IncGamers Member

search for a program called d2loader

8. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Yeah I was checking that out, but I was wondering does it work with battlenet? I downloaded one and when I tried it my virus protection found a trojan on it so if anyone knows of a trustworthy one maybe you could just PM me, I'd really appreciate it.

9. Saytan

Saytan IncGamers Member

Using Isobuster to make a .bin and .cue image and then mounting them on a vitual drive using Alcohol 120% will work just fine ive been using it this way for a while now. As for violating anything doing that im not sure if you are or not, to be frank tho i dont really care about it even if i was.

10. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

i heard the trojan..bspam...helps the loader thingy..iono not sure..but all i knnow ..it really contains that

11. Azazel

Azazel IncGamers Member

I dont use any kind of foreign program and I can play music from Cds whilst playing (nothing like Baal running whilst 'We Will Fight The Heathens' is playing :D). Once you've loaded the game, you can take the disk out and put something else in (if thats what your getting at). I got XP, and I do seem to be on the recieving end of more crashes than normal. :p

12. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm running live and kickin' without a cd. I really don't see why anyone should care if we rig our games to play without a cd even after we bought it, installed it, and could just as easily play with it, just saving ourselves the trouble.

13. SuggestiveName

Becuase the same methods you are using could be used to possibly play from say, a cd image downloaded from kazaa. It's to prevent piracy.

14. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

You don't need any extra tools to play without a CD inside all the time.

Just copy d2xmusic.mpq from your LOD disc, start D2 with LOD disc in, and at the menu, remove the disc and insert whatever you like, like a music CD. It also helps to not wear out the LOD disc since it's otherwise spinning all the time you play LOD.

If you don't play LOD and just common D2, copy d2music.mpq from play disc instead.

For the trick to work, you need to have done a full install, not just a single player or multiplayer install.

15. New-Breed

New-Breed IncGamers Member

FYI for all you d2loader users.... this is dectable by blizzard. And is used by people using hacks SOOO, it CAN get you banned....

16. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

I don't see how this prevents piracy, if you download Diablo, it can run by itself and if you're a pirate you *have* those tools already needed to mount or burn an image.

All this is hurting is us legit players, doesn't at all affect piracy...as usual.

17. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Whose law? Where do you live?

18. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I can see why blizzard might not want people pirate thier games, but why shouldn't we be allowed to talk about this in the forum? And I'm not pirating anything because I already have the cd. Just trying to save my cd-rom and D2x disc unnessicary wear. And the fact that I cain't find my damn cd has a little to do with it as well :teeth:

19. SuggestiveName

There is a fine line between acceptable methods to save disk wear and using hacks to circumvent pirating protection. Since this is a legit site, we need to be as cautious as possible in what we post. Hypothetically speaking, say someone got a link to a hack from this site and blizzard found out (and cared), then this site might be denied the private interviews and information from blizzard.

The rules against pimping hacks are to protect this site, not to inconvenience you. Just because you are using these methods properly doesn't mean that there arent people out there looking for this info for pirating purposes.

20. hyp3rd00d

hyp3rd00d IncGamers Member

anyone know any free programs that can make a cd image?