Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

playing TCP/IP

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by CaimDark, Sep 15, 2006.

1. CaimDark

CaimDark IncGamers Member

playing TCP/IP

I'm not sure this is the place to post this, but hopefully someone will be able to help. Whenever I play over TCP\IP with my friends, I can join their games, bur they can't join mine, and the firewall is down. It's annoying, because I can't complete quests they've already done, and they are usually ahead of me. Any suggestions?

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

did you try searching the single player forum? i am sure if you ask dredd or gorny nicely they can move this thread there for you.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

If they can't join your games, but you can join theirs, then it would most likely be a firewall/router problem. Since you mention that the firewall is turned off, then it could be a router issue.

Do you use a router on your network? To put it another words, is your internal IP address (the one that Diablo II will most likely show you on the TCP/IP screen) different than your external IP address (the one that you can see at http://www.whatismyipaddress.com)?

4. CaimDark

Indeed, it is very different. Though I'm not exactly sure what a router is, I have two computers at home accessing the internet from the same network, and I remember the guy who set it up told me something about a router. So if I give my friends the IP I see at whatsmyipadress.com they should be able to join?

5. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Give them the IP address anyway and see how it goes, but if they still cannot join you might need to do some port forwarding on your router. To accomplish this, you'll need to identify your router. If you can see the router (the thing that will have the phone line in that enables you to connect to the Internet) and it has a brand on it, then make note of it and skip to step 6, otherwise start from the beginning:

1. Go to Start --> Run --> Type 'cmd' and press Enter
    2. Type 'ipconfig' and press Enter
    3. Make note of the IP Address listed next to 'default gateway'
    4. Open Internet Explorer (or whatever you use for a browser) and put the above IP address in.
    5. Your router page should come up. On this page, it should have some information about your router (specificially the brand name).

6. Go to http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/DiabloII/DiabloIIindex.htm and select your router brand.
    7. Follow the instructions.

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything clarified :thumbsup:

6. CaimDark

Thank you so much orphan! After I did the port forwarding and gave them my external ip adress, it worked!
    Thanks again!:thumbsup: