Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

playing on a mac

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by decibel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. decibel

decibel IncGamers Member

playing on a mac

i'm looking to get a 12" g4 ibook running os x "panther". if you have played diablo ii on similar hardware and os, please post here and share your experience. i'm curious how it runs, any install or gameplay issues, etc.

thanks in advance.

2. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

I have and do. 10.3 is a fantastic OS. Problem is, Blizzard uses crappy openGL optimization. Incredibly crappy. I think that every Mac D2 player here probably uses software rendering, which runs extremely smoothly, even on my 3.5 year old Dual 450 G4. (The dual processor means nothing with any of the Blizzard games, since they're not multithreaded.) Install is no real problem, except that you have to do it in classic, then d/l a few pieces.

That's a sweet piece of machine, if you do buy it. Treat it well. ;) Make sure that the keyboard fits you before buying it. Some people find it too small, although I have no problems with slightly larger than average hands.

3. decibel

decibel IncGamers Member

do you have to play it in classic as well? what do you have to download?

i just realized that i have the collector's edition. i will have to re-purchase the game in order to play on a mac. =(

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Why? I thought the collector's simply have all the disk in one box? Besides, the manual should mention how to install on mac.

5. decibel

decibel IncGamers Member

the blizzard web site says that the collector's edition was for windows pc only. the box also doesn't mention the mac. however, looking in the manual it does list installation instructions for the mac.

can anyone confirm/deny that the CE can install on a mac?

6. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Well Duh, buy a PC. :p :lol:

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

10.3 fixed a lot of the OpenGL problems. I am playing in thousands of colors (I think) with no performance problems on both my computers: a 1.2GHz G4 tower (upgraded CPU from 450 and upgraded video card to a Radeon 9000) and an 867MHz G4 12" PowerBook. The keys to game performance are:
    * using 10.3
    * having at least 32MB video RAM

The 12" G4 iBook comes with both of those things and should play the game with no problems. You can install the game* in Classic mode; Blizzard is too lazy to make an OS X native installer. But Classic comes installed on the new iBooks (I got a few for my company recently and confirmed this).

* I have done this with the original disks; not sure about the CE. Do confirm that with someone who knows, if you can.

8. wildjinn

I'm going to have to disagree with your specs, Durf. I've got 10.3 running on a 32 meg video card, and the framerate will sit a bit below 15 when I'm running heavily-infested areas.

A new laptop should be fine, though, performance-wise--I was responding out of frustration instead of experience, for which I apologize. I just checked up with an friend who's got a newish dual-1Ghz, and she enjoys good D2 performance in hardware accelerated mode as well.

9. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

NOOOOOOO!!!! OMG, a fate worse than death.

My wife runs her D2 in 10.3, no problems. And she runs ATMA on a Win emulator. Which often runs better than my XP Pro. :rant:

EDIT: Wife's setup is a 900 G4 w/ 1 GB RAM

10. decibel

decibel IncGamers Member

can anyone confirm/deny that the collector's edition can install on a mac?

11. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

I would say "try it". The worst that can happen is it doesn't run.

12. DurfBarian

Oh, I agree that it won't be anything like using a new WinBox with the latest vid card from ATI, but speaking as a person who came from software mode on a Lombard to hardware mode on an AlBook, I think it's very acceptable performance. I can tell the colors of rares and uniques apart again! :uhhuh:

13. wildjinn

heh. that's quite the upgrade! Lombards are solid machine, though. I'll bet you were sad to see that one go. Last summer, my parents finally got rid of the Performa 6400 at home. I mean, it's cool that it lasted so long, but still... I might make an upgrade this summer if I can find the job I'm looking for (unlikely). Opening up a G5 makes me drool uncontrollably. :flip:

14. DurfBarian

Yeah, if it had been a Pismo I might still have it. I needed firewire though, and that little aluminum thing was too nice to pass up . . . My sister is using it now.