Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playing movie files

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Playing movie files

Okay, for most of my mpg/avi/wmv etc watching needs I've just been using Windows Media Player, but it's a buggy piece of crap and also I'm sick of downloading codecs all the time. What's the best alternative? I'm looking for something that's:

1) Free.
    2) Compatible with pretty much anything; mpg, avi, wmv, ram, etc.
    3) Preferably doesn't require codecs.

Any recommendations?

2. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Your best bet is VLC player by Videolan. Get it here. I've been using it for a while now, and it's... pretty good. I do have a few issues with it but it's the best I've been able to find so far. It plays everything I've asked it to play except for realmedia files "without the need for additional codecs".

The main issues I have with it are to do with skins. As far as I can tell if you use a non-default skin you can't resize the player, which is ridiculous to me. Luckily, the default skin doesn't look too bad so it's not a deal-breaker.

Also, although you can customize the hotkeys for some reason you can't use the arrow buttons by themselves. It has to be shift+left or shift+right to step backwards or forwards instead of just right and left like on winamp. Not a big issue, it just doesn't make sense to me.

3. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I've been using VLC for a long time now and it's been working fine for me for just watching anything.
    The no-skin thing doesn't really bother me, since I watch everything full screen anyways.

4. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Windows media player is just a player; an interface for playing media files, your problem does not come from using Windows media player. Your problem comes from codec’s; codec is the engine (algorithm) that lets your system opening the file and reading the contents. Also codec’s are used for describing how the large file should be compressed. So it’s a compressor / reader of the compressed file.

You have messed up with your codec’s. They are the trickiest thing made in the software business. For many generations software companies are searching to optimize their performances; especially optimizing the system that contains many different codec’s.

It is recommended that on one OS should be installed just few basic codec’s that you know you need them. So on a brand new installed OS goes few codec’s and you leave them.

My recommendation is ffdshow (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow)

A cocktail of highly optimized codec’s that work great with each other and don’t bother each other. Very bad solution is Ace mega pack … hundreds of codec’s that mess up each other.

Additional basic codecs that you should have:
    Quciktime Alternative
    http://www.worldstart.com/downloads/quicktimealt146.exe
    RealAudio Alternative
    http://www.worldstart.com/downloads/realalt137.exe
    This is enough. Windows media player is a great player, it is very stabile and does have bugs like others. Though I use Media player classic.

It is impossible to uninstall a codec once it’s installed. So once you install so many codecs the only solution reformat. There is no way you can make them work correctly and synchronize them.

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I like Media Player Classic more then VLC. Honestly, how can anyone stand that tiny seek bar thing? And you can't click on the seek bar and actually move to that part of the movie, it jumps to somewhere around the area, you have to click and drag the tiny cursor.

6. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's on the default, non-skin interface. If you run "skins2", in preferences -> interface select skinnable interface in the dropdown, you get an interface that supports skins and has a sensible seek bar. I have no idea why they didn't just make the skins2 version of the player default.

As it is it's by no means user-friendly, but once I wrestled with it a bit it I got it working to my satisfaction, which is more than I can say for winamp, realplayer or media player.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Okay thanks, VLC seems to be working fine. But does anyone know how I can get it to associate with movie files? It's driving me nuts, it just won't let me. I tried using "open with" and then selecting "always open with this program" and that didn't work, and I even went into the File Types thingy in Windows Explorer and changed it manually, nada. It still default opens in Windows Media Player.

Stupid Windows...

8. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I use Wmp + mp classic, vlc doesnt like me. I always get blue screens of death when I try running it. I installed uh... matroska filters, coreFLAC, and vDub filters, havent had any movies i havent been able to open yet.

9. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Maybe its just trying to tell you to upgrade to XP.

P.S. XP is backwards compatible for your old school games.

10. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i use activemovie, but microsoft no longer supports it, stupid windows media crap doesnt play on it anymore
    media player classic works great imo

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

XP is about as compatible with old games as strychnine and labs rats are.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I still use Media Player Classic for most purposes, but videos I download from the net generally require codecs and I think I had a bigger set with WMP. I was sick of the whole thing anyway.

So does anyone know how to fix my file association problem? Or is that another Win98 thing?

Well, I'm reassured to know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

13. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

14. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

i just use zoom player, tiny and very good ( doesn't eat resources) and for codecs xcodecpack.
    i just can't stand none of microsoft programs that try to connect to microsoft.com
    even my keyboard is trying to connect to them . what the hell

15. Soulstones

Soulstones IncGamers Member

All that u need is divx codecs
    once u get divx almost everything will work on windows media player (if not then rm)
    i think its divx.com , if not then just do a search

16. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Windows Media Player is crap.

Get VLC and use it. You too, nubcakes, can be a real man now!

17. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Is it really that bad just because it doesn't support a few codecs?
    It's got the nice "show seek bar when in full screen mode and you press a button" feature that no one else does.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I said I'm using it now, nubmuffins.

19. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Well, mine works pretty good....maybe your m0us3 sk1llz aren't good enough.

Since when am I nubmuffins? Damn it, I hate muffins.