Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playing Diablo with Linux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by oscarmk1, Mar 27, 2004.

1. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Playing Diablo with Linux

Hi,

Ive heard that you can play diablo with linux, but you have to some stuff first, so i need to know exactly what do you have to do. Also are there any advantages or disadvantages on playing Diablo on linux vs playing diablo on windows xp.
    Thank you,
    Oscar

2. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

you might wanna take this to the community forum. this is the off-topic forum, reserved for any non blizzard related topics.

have a nice day man, and hopefully someone answers your questions elsewhere.

3. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It might run slower due to the fact you will be running WineX or some other similar program to emulate DirectX. Linux is going to be a hell of a lot harder to keep up on your drivers and such too, if you are going for ease use XP.

Tintrail, give him a break do you really think most of the people in the CF will be able to help? This is more of an OS based question, more than half the people outside of the OTF can hardly install Diablo much less Linux.

5. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Really the only trick is to use WineX. Check your PMs for a more detailed walkthough.

I really wish you wouldn't use that word, they didn't name WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) for nothing, let me explain...

If Wine did do emulation, that would entail that it emulates an x86 processor, and you then run Windows on top of that (so that you have Windows running inside of Linux), now this is entirely possible (with Virtual PC or the like), but this is not what Wine does. Wine provides a compatibility layer between Win32 API calls and native Linux calls, so that no emulation of hardware, and no Microsoft code, is necessary. As such, when all of the calls a program makes are supported, speed loss is minimal to none. Were you to try and run [crowbar swings] in Virtual PC, I suspect you'd see a major performance hit.

I don't know what would give you that idea, I certainly haven't encountered anything of the sort.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I tried Linux in my younger years...i lost my data.