Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playing D2 without a CD, Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ToM TuPa, Mar 20, 2004.

1. ToM TuPa

ToM TuPa IncGamers Member

Playing D2 without a CD, Good or Bad?

I've been to numerous friends house, and even internet cafes, that use D2 without a CD. It is very useful, and loads up much quicker than using D2 with a disc.

Question is, is this wrong? Is it against Battle.net policy (considering you were playing online). If you were to already have the copy of the D2 game, and already installed it onto your computer, why not? It's not the exact same as an emulater, since you are not downloading the actual game for free.

But, if anyone here had a Dreamcast, a couple years back, a company created discs that tricks the Dreamcast to play PSX games, with better quality than on the PSX.

Is this the same? Is this wrong? I don't see anything wrong with it, because you payed for the game, and you just want to play it with better quality and efficiency. I have yet to download the no-cd crack, since I want to see the input of the users here. Thanks.

~Tommy-T

2. simplyLost

simplyLost IncGamers Member

i personally see nothing wrong with it.. and as you said.. its really no different from an emulator/rom.. and i believe by law.. if you have a rom on your computer and you have the original cartridge/cd/game you aren't violating any copyrights laws.. :\

i for one used one in 1.09.. but now i just use the cd/window mode..

edit: assuming that you weren't using a no cd crack to bypass burning a copy of the game/sharing a copy of the game with a friend.. then there really is nothing anyone CAN do about it..

-Lost

3. DK7

DK7 IncGamers Member

I've used a no cd crack for d2 for like 2 years, and would never stop using one. CD checks are the most ridiculous thing about pc gaming. You spend thousands of dollars on a high end computer to get the best performance, you spend 50 dollars on a game, you do a full install so the game runs faster and more stable (some install wizards even say this), but you still end up bottlenecked by the cd rom at times.

Add to that, the fact that cd checks are there to deter pirates, when in reality, I haven't heard of a game that wasn't pirated, or doesn't have a no cd crack for it. Most cracked .exe's are released before the game even hits store shelves. They really should just give up on this idea. I just bought UT2k4, and am using a crack because the game came packaged so well, that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of opening the box every time I wanted to play, especially considering how my original d2 expansion disc, 5 retail copies of UT, and my ut2003 discs (ALL 3!) were all scratched to the point where they won't install anymore. The ut2003 discs don't even have visible scratches on them, because I did actually put them in their case after each use, yet I can't use them. How is that fair to me, as a buyer?

4. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

Kill em all, let Martha Stewart sort them out!!

YEAH MOFO

5. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

I see nothing wrong with using a no cd crack if you bought the game. Like the guy above said, why did we spend all this money to have a fast system for gaming just so our cd rom can slow us down with annoying spin-ups.

6. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

I see nothing wrong with using it at all...and its not illegal.

But its against Blizzards rules and they can ban you for just about anything they please.

7. dngruye2

dngruye2 IncGamers Member

like many of the other people that replied, i see nothing wrong with it... the only thing that should be unique is the cdkey... as long as that is unique, then i dont see why it would be bad to not have a cd...

i own the game, and i dont like how the cd takes near forever to load baals minions at the end of act5, causing many characters to die. so, to solve that problem, i use Alcohol 120%'s Virtual CDROM feature. works just the same as having the cd in the drive, without all the load times.

8. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

You Disgusting Bunch Of Communist Heathens! Of Course It's Wrong To Use A No Cd Crack! Think About How Many Children In Australia Are Starving Because You Bypass Your Cd! I Can't Believe You Guys! Why Don't You Just Go Buy A Gun And Start Capping People, You Bunch Of Hardened Criminals! I Bet Tony Soprano Would Hire You All. I Am Telling Blizzard On You And Since My Brother Cleans Their Office At Night They Will Listen To Me! Happy Trails, Scumbags!

Mith

9. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

As long as you have the CD in until the main menu appears, you can safely remove it after that if you've copied all MPQ files from the CD's to your D2 directory (d2xmusic.mpq will be missing even if you made a full install of LOD). That should be enough to save the CD from wearing out and is the 100% legal way to do it at least. Of course, you still need to insert the CD before playing.

10. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

The other is also 100% legal. Its only Blizzard who can punish on B-net (they can't do anything else to you) and ban our accounts.

And your solution isn't very good...first of all, its alot of wear and tear to take your CD in and out of the drive all the time. Secondly, it is alot of extra work if you aren't even at the machine. thirdly, some machines mess up on full installs.

11. SIlent_Man

SIlent_Man IncGamers Member

So, where can i get a "no cd loader"? My pc sucks and it would be amazing for me...