Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

playing d2 classic with no cd...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by forumfreak, Nov 16, 2006.

1. forumfreak

forumfreak IncGamers Member

playing d2 classic with no cd...

i was wondering if i can play diablo2 solely from my HD..

is there a way to do this?

thanks yall!!

2. janmaxim

janmaxim IncGamers Member

I think you have to have the CD in if you are planning to play on Battle.net

If you play singleplayer just download a c***k or try to use a loader for online play.. but use it at your own risk!

3. forumfreak

theres no way to put the cd on my HD then route everything to it? im just not computer savvy... :sad2:

but thanks for commenting and i'll steer away from the loaders.

4. k/t

k/t Banned

Have you read the forum rules?

Relax, it was a rhetorical question.

5. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

there are legitimate software products that will allow you to specify a portion of your hard drive as a mountable cd-rom drive.

daemon tools for example, as well I believe that nero will allow one to do this, if not alcohol120%. I have not experimented with this however.

there are also less legal means, that violate the ToS, and in fact the rules of this forum, so I won't discuss those, or how to even find out how to go that route.

6. forumfreak

how would i use nero or alcohol120 to do this? i have both programs.

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Using either of those two tools will most likely result in a CD-key ban. So if you value your key's worth, just use the original playdisc CD in your drive and simply copy the d2music.mpq file from the play disc into your Diablo 2 dir. This will in effect allow you to play Diablo solely from your HD, so no more slowdowns when entering new areas. The original playdisc CD will have to remain in your CDrom, but will spin down.

8. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I didn't say for sure if it could. only that both will (or used to) allow you to create a virtual drive.

RTFM I guess, but as warlock mentioned, it's only your cd-key that's on the line.

9. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

On a Mac, you can create disk image using the built-in Disk Utility and then mount the disk image instead of using the physical CD. It's nice to do on a laptop so you don't have to carry the CD with you.

10. forumfreak

cant DVD Decrypter burn an image also?

11. dlee

dlee IncGamers Member

using alcohol 120 and daemon tools is 100% legal and i doubt is against bnet rules because it isnt really third party software that changes the way you play the game. the legality of it is that you must own the disk and your using it has to be for cd protection or backup purposes only. i've never used daemon tools but have used alcohol 120% many times. you put in the cd you want and use the "image making wizard" or something like that. when you can select what type of image you want select mdf/mds (iso never worked /w me for d2, even tho its a more popular format) basicly this will save the contents of your cd to your comptuter to where you tell it to into 2 files

then you take the smaller of the two files it made and drag it into the top portion of alcohol 120 so it will be on the list, if on the bottom half you have a "virtual cd drive" expandable menu thing with drives under neath it drag it from the top part onto one of the drives, if its not there press virtual drive on the left hand side of the screen when alcohol is up and switch the number from 0 to 1, and if you want more in the future from 1 to how many you need.

once you drag it on it will make your computer think you have the cd in (it'll add more cd drives to my computer and whatnot)

very handy for stuff like this when you legally buy the game and just dont want to bother having to put it in. i would NEVER use it to pirate a game

disclaimer: im not 100% sure this is allowed on bnet but am 99.9% sure its not detected by d2 (but 100% sure it is detectible if someone wanted to find out, i tried legitimetly installing a game (for real) and it told me to uninstall alcohol before i installed it) so be careful and whatnot. you can also legally burn copies of games and movies aslong as you dont give them away and just use them as backups to a disk that could possibly get ruined from scratching

12. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Believe me when I say that the good warden has a problem with it.
    But it's nice that you offer yourself to sort things out once his CD key is banned. :)

When I load up winamp or have deamon tools (unmounted or with a image mounted) in memory, I will get realm down. Which one can consider a warning before a perm-ban.

Me, I advise against using those tools when you want to play Diablo. If you have the original CD anyway, why not leave it in your drive. I consider my computer little more then a big Diablo CD case. It only spins the CD at startup, so even if you have a exceptionally noisy CDrom, it will still be silent, as long as you copy that file. CD's which are in your drive all the time have very little chance of getting scratched unless you pour sand in your CDrom every day.

It might not be a good idea to formulate your posts as such, since few people read disclaimers. Just write in your post when you are uncertain of it's legality or detectability in stead of writing "i doubt is against bnet rules". This way it seems like you want somebody else to test your theory at the risk of that person's key. ;)