Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

playing battle.net from within a university lan

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by mdfkress, Mar 22, 2004.

1. mdfkress

mdfkress IncGamers Member

playing battle.net from within a university lan

hi all, am currently at a university where my connection to the internet is through a university server which has a firewall that apparantly dislikes battle.net. i was wondering if there are any programs which can allow me to bypass the uni firewall, or somehow get it to allow access to battle.net. any help would be appreciated. thanks :thumbsup:

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

You can't bypass the university firewall. Best thing to do is get in touch with the network admin or IT department and ask them to open the bnet ports on the firewall.

3. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

For closed D2, you need port # 4000 open, only.

4. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Um? You're allowed to put Diablo II on the university LAN? Where are you?! I wanna transfer there!

EDIT: Realized you're probably in a dorm room, meaning you can put more or less what you want on the computer. LCC has no on-campus housing, just a library and a computer lab. Seems I'm SOL.

5. SuggestiveName

You can play D2 on almost any university or college network I've ever heard of...

EDIT: Indeed.

6. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

We be fast, mon. I edited my post before I even knew yours was there, and you edited yours to compensate by the time I got back to the forum.

7. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

All I can say is that campus housing internet connections blow. At my little school they once cut our bandwidth on downloads to were we couldnt even completely download a windows update without it timing out. Plus, out upload speeds were out of the roof. So, we confronted them about the situation and they denied "cutting our bandwidth". We then decieded that we would rob all the bandwidth by allowing unlimited uploads on kazaa in its hay-day. Nothing like uploading about 200kb/sec on about 10 different computers. Needless to say they noticed a performance problem, changed there story and said they were limiting bandwidth and then gave us a connection worth our money... :)

Doesnt really have anything to do with this thread but its a related story......Nothing like getting back at the MAN..

8. SuggestiveName

I'm a technician on my college network, and I hate people like you. You have no idea what it takes to effectively network students, acedemic needs and faculty, and keep said network at top reliability and speed. You are, in two words, a lamer stupid jerkface.

(Also your network admins are asshats for limiting bandwidth like that, although they should definately be limiting the p2p ports like what.)

9. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

Well, if you think that lying to people is ok to do then sure I'm a lamer stupid jerkface. However if you notice we informed them of the problem and they didnt tell the truth. Btw we asked several times to have it fixed, and they denied everything. So, after we tried to get it fixed in a nice way we had to avert to alternative means. I do know how tough networking is, I'm an IT technician for a telemarketing company (flame away), and also, lamer stupid jerkface is three words.

10. SuggestiveName

I know it was three words, that was the point. Your IT are asshats for lying and being stupid. You are an asshat for making a deliberate attack on network resources. Telemarketers are asshats in general. I am an asshat for using the word asshat so much.