Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Playign with a friend over TCP/IP, game extremely laggy if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Question, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Question

Question Diabloii.Net Member

Playign with a friend over TCP/IP, game extremely laggy

Im the host, hes behind a router with firewall turned off.

For some reason the game is extremely laggy even though we are in the same small country with broadband.

Even though im the host i still sometimes teleport around.

Any ideas? Is it just diablo 2's TCP/IP option? Will playing over something like hamachi help?

2. Question

Re: Playign with a friend over TCP/IP, game extremely laggy

bump .

3. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

If you haven't tried hamachi, then I'd say it's worth a shot. If nothing else you've eliminated one possible fix to the solution.

And can't think of any reasons why it lags so much, but whatever you do don't turn off the firewall when connected to the internet. Opening the ports for D2 and/or bnet is a much safer way of letting traffic from D2 through the firewall.

4. Question

The strangest part is when im the host in a solo TCP/IP game, monsters still occasionally teleport around.

How is that possible? Im the host! Also which ports are you referring to?

5. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I can't recall which ports you need to open, but go to blizzards support page and select diablo, you should be able to find some info on port forwarding there.

And in case you don't know, on a lot of routers you can access a user interface by entering the routers ip in your browser, and from there can open ports for traffic to pass through. In this case diablo and battle.net uses a set of ports which can be opened.

You can find the ip by pressing start, click on run, type cmd and press enter, write ipconfig and press enter. The default gateway value is the one you're looking for. However if you've never done this before, google for port forwarding and find an article or similar that discusses port forwarding.

6. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

can you post your computer specs? And what happens if your friend hosts the game? (is that laggy too?)

7. Question

He tried hosting but as he didnt open or forward the ports i couldnt connect.

Specs : Intel Core 2 duo overclocked to 3.2 ghz, 2 gb of ram, HD4850 graphic card, auzentech X-FI prelude.

8. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

well your PC specs are more then sufficient enough to not have a laggy game! that is for sure!

In order for your mate to host a game he has to open the appropriate ports on his firewall. the ports he needs to configure are these:

Diablo II Ports
    Publisher: Blizzard
    Format: PC
    TCP Ports
    6112-6119,4000
    UDP Ports
    6112-6119

the dash - means 6112 through 6119 (everything in between aswell).

and to be honest i think its best (not the safest method btw) to both open these ports! that means you and your friend have to open it.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    BKC

PS be sure to check if you have firewall software running, or an anti virus programm with a firewall embedded. That means you have to open the ports there aswell. (usually adding them is enough)

edit: I just remembered if you guys are playing over an adsl connection (either one of you or the both of you) then the signal could be run over the old ATM standard networks. Meaning that a normal line would process 64 bits packets where as ATM would by default process 62 bits packages. That means that a 128 bits of data would normally travel over 2 packages but with atm it travels over 3 packages. this could cause a lag when sending larger amounts of data (which you do over a tcp/ip game). Changing your MTU size in your router to 1454 usually solves this problem. For the techies and compu nerds here is the explaination:

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/ADSL/pppoemtu.htm note to the mods if offsite linking is not allowed please delete this part of the post (i am not sure!)

9. Question

Im not behind a router, although he is.

He added those ports to his router and his firewall but he is still lagging very badly...

10. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

Do you have µtorrent or something open? Try shutting it, that might help

11. Question

I turned off all the P2P programs already.

Edit : Turns out hes using wireless in his room, seperated by a door and wall.

12. Chromesto

Chromesto Diabloii.Net Member

It's probably the wlan then. Even without testing I would suggest him to buy a cable if it is possible to use one by any means. Even if it would be just a temporary solution for gaming.

It shouldn't have any effect if the client side doesn't have opened the ports in his/her router as after he contacts the serverside all the replies get through it (unless I remember it wrong). The serverside must open the ports because unless that is done the router doesn't know where it should forward those incoming data packets. Of course it's easy to do and it doesn't really hurt much if he opens those ports too just in case you want to try making him the host one day. (Though I really believe that it's the wlan's fault this time as wireless connections just doesn't make a match against wired connections in stability.)

13. Question

Im the host and i have no router...

That said im not sure why he hasnt gotten a wired connection. The router is in the living room near the TV i think. Im not sure how long it is but sounds like the cable has to be pretty long.