Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Players x setting and drops

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by esd, Apr 2, 2004.

1. esd

esd IncGamers Member

Players x setting and drops

There was some discussion in another thread recently whether changing players x setting changes drops of monsters already spawned. I have done some testing and here are the results.
    Testing was done by doing 30 normal Meph runs with a clvl 86 char (60 MF). I chose normal Meph because running him is fast and safe. 10 runs were done on players 1, 10 on players 4, and 10 were done by spawning Meph on players 1, but killing on players 4 (I changed the setting after killing Maffer in the side room).
    Runs on Players 1
    Run - drops (includes items, gold, potions etc.)
    1 - 6
    2 - 5
    3 - 5
    4 - 3
    5 - 6
    6 - 4
    7 - 6
    8 - 3
    8 - 6
    10 - 4
    total - 48
    average - 4.8
    Sets and uniques - Isenhart's Parry, Sigon's Shelter, Griswold's Edge
    Runs on Players 4
    Run - drops
    1 - 6
    2 - 6
    3 - 6
    4 - 6
    5 - 6
    6 - 6
    7 - 6
    8 - 6
    8 - 6
    10 - 6
    total - 60
    average - 6
    Sets and uniques - Vidala's Barb, Sander's Riprap, Vidala's Fetlock, Spire of Lazarus, The Dragon Chang, Steelgoad
    Runs on Players 1 switched to 4
    Run - drops
    1 - 6
    2 - 6
    3 - 6
    4 - 6
    5 - 6
    6 - 5 (!)
    7 - 6
    8 - 4 (!)
    8 - 6
    10 - 6
    total - 57
    average - 5.7
    Sets and uniques (IDed on the spot then dropped to the ground) - Cleglaw's Tooth, Sigon's Wrap, Isenhart's Horns, Sigon's Visor, Skewer of Krintiz, Axe of Fechmar
    It looks like drops check the players setting on monster kill, not monster spawn. But the evidence is not conclusive so more testing/research is needed.

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

It has been confirmed that the players setting at spawn is not stored anywhere, only the current setting. So it can only be concluded that the setting at the time of kill counts, so you can indeed change setting before the death to get the better drops.

Experience definitely is stored at spawn time, so you get exp commensurate with the HP you chop through. Only the drops can be exploited with this trick.

As for why you didn't get 6 every time... maybe either (a) it does take a few seconds for the game to register a new setting and you actually killed Meph before it "took", or (b) you managed to kill Meph in some spot where he can't drop his full quota in those tests, even though you didn't in the middle set (it is known such spots exist for Andy and Duriel - many in Duriel's case - but not sure about Meph).

Hopefully people can see that the difference between not cheating and cheating is fairly minor, and are not tempted to exploit this.

3. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

thanks for your research m8.. the other iday i went back and tried the same thing in hell.. it seems to me that there is a difference between spawning 1 and killing 1 AND spawning @1 and killing @3.. i got on an average 5+ items for the 10 times i tried for the latter.. for the former my average will be just below 4 i guess.. :scratch:

still inconclusive..

also is there a way to find what current player setting is.. lets say when i do pindle runs.. if i quit and restart will the setting be reset to 1 or will it be the previous setting..

:drink: :buddies:

4. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

If you set it to players 8 then leave, and join with a new char it will still be players 8.
    IF, however, you meant quit and restart the game itself (Diablo2) then yes it will reset to players 1

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

very interesting. it does seem odd that you could have gotten a 4 and 5 item drop if the kill was on /players 4. theoretically that shouldn't be possible. :scratch:

edit: well, i just did a T-test on your findings (yes, i'm a geek) and found that the switch-to-/players 4 set is statistically different from the /players 1 set. p=0.009. :D

6. Urlik_Skarsol

Urlik_Skarsol IncGamers Member

bottomline is that in order to get a guaranteed 6 drops from Meph (at Players 3), you need to set the players before he spawns. I guess that's somewhat of a reward for non-cheaters. :clap:

also, the game remembers the last "players setting" you used... even after quitting and restarting.

7. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

One question I had about the 4 and 5 drop sets when the player setting was changed after meph was spawned on p1 is if there was gold droped with it. I thought I heard somewhere that gold can be grouped into one drop. So if Meph droped a pile of 50g and 100g you may just see one drop of 150g and thus 5 drops total. I don't think that is true but I don't know for sure.

8. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

i dont think thats true either.. if gold has prob of .4 then each of the 6 drops has a chance of .4... ive played in players = 4 mode and gotten 6 drops with 2 gold piles included.. :idea:

9. Urlik_Skarsol

Urlik_Skarsol IncGamers Member

Yes, each "gold" drop is a separate pile. :thumbsup:

10. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

10 runs is statistically not enough for this purpose. Run 100 times and then post the results, you'll get a much better average (granted that'll take ya forever and maybe a day).

Nar

11. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

i still don't believe it

because i've forgotten to set players in a lot of areas when i first start - and i switch to players 8 while i'm in the field killing monsters

the drops ALWAYS are few, and prove to me that they're at the spawning player setting

switching the players setting after spawning does NOT effect drops

also - it's not logical to test ONLY on Bosses, because they naturally drop more items

do it on regular monsters... like go into the fields in act 1 - spawn a bunch of rats and zombies - then switch to players 8 and i guarantee you that you will recieve very little drops... but if you set it to players 8 before spawning and kill you get a lot of items

that's how i know that changing it does nothing after spawning. it's not reasonable to test on bosses... but if it doesn't work on normal monsters i doubt it would work on bosses