Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

/Players command

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AlexanderM, Jul 11, 2008.

1. AlexanderM

AlexanderM IncGamers Member

/Players command

I know that the players command (i.e. /players 8) emulates more players in the game and causes the monsters to have more HP and drop more often. My question is, how legitimate is it to play single player with high players settings. While the HP of monsters scales up (along with XP rewarded), the damage they dish out does not, meaning that it skews toward high-damage characters with less survivability. Of course once in hell this almost becomes a moot point, the damage they deal is significant enough to begin with.

While I know it's not considered a "cheat" per se, I'm a bit of a purist. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this were.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: /Players command

See the Accepted Gameplay Rules in the Stickied FAQ for the official position.

Most people will use it, especially at lower levels. /p1 play and /p8 chest opening is cheesy but not disallowed; except in tournies.

3. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Just a small on-screen correction, damage from monsters is actually scaled up with higher /players settings. IIRC, at /players 8, damage is increased by 37.5% (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

4. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Personally, I see it as something that Blizzard put in the game specifically so it could be used. It's also mentioned on the Arreat Summit, Blizzard's official site, so I see it as Blizzard actually giving Single Players something instead of taking it away.

5. AlexanderM

AlexanderM IncGamers Member

Ah, I didn't know the damage was scaled up, nor did I know it was mentioned on Arreat. Right at the bottom of the "Experience" page. I think I'll probably choose a certain players setting and try to stick with it through each difficulty. Thanks for the information!

6. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

You might think it's 'cheesy', but you'll probably also find that you can't actually handle it half the time, either. ;)

For example, moving onto nightmare, /players8 gets nasty. Hell is fairly impossible solo unless you specifically designed your character for it.

As such, a lot of people move down to players 4 or players 6 or something.

Also, /players 1 is easy to the point of boredom for Normal and Nightmare.

7. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

To my mind it would only be an exploit if you did something like dropping the players level down for bosses. I generally run Normal and Nightmare at p8 and Hell at p1 (or possibly p3 if I'm feeling adventurous) and I don't change that setting once I've started, even for Diablo himself!

8. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

*cough*

Well, I suppose. Of course if it's a choice between dying one or twice and dying 20 times, I know which one I'd choose. :p

9. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

On SC I never hesitated dropping or increasing the setting, never. Now I'm trying to make my first Guardian and I've faced a few situtations where I've had to really think about this.
    It really wouldn't feel the same if I played the easy parts on higher setting and the hard and critical parts on lower. I haven't so far, and I wouldn't want to. That's why I've already been thinking on which setting I'm going to kill my first fallen in Hell (provided that Bombazine_Doll makes it to Hell).

I was actually quite surprised how I felt about the setting when playing HC, but really, I couldn't care less in SC.