Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

/players 1 or /players 8

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by smurfvyn, Feb 18, 2004.

1. smurfvyn

smurfvyn IncGamers Member

/players 1 or /players 8

Hi all,

was wondering about my topic in the context of boss mf runs. Now, I know a higher number of /players setting will help when it comes to non-bosses eg. The Pit, but how will it affect the bosses then? Does a higher /players setting help to increase the chances of a better drop for the bosses?

On a side note, any good running Andariel on NM? Read somewhere about her higher drops for rings and was hoping to pick up some perfect nagels......

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

I think it has been concluded that if you don't have static field then boss running is more efficient with lower /players X setting.

On a side note if you clear the path to hell baal for example you can get TC85-87 stuff on the way so higher setting if you clear the whole levels before the boss.

Hope this helpes :)

edit: I think it's true, that Andariel has the best chances of dropping jewellery(sp) and top chances to drop uniques

3. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Basically keep the player count as high as you can without losing speed, if you want to exp while doing runs, keep it at 8, that's what I do and with good results too.

As for Andy, I just gotta love her, 2 SoJs in 1.10 so far and 1 BK ring, lots of other goodies too. In hell she can drop other nice items aswell, such as HoZ, Harley etc, so she's definitely not a waste to run. All in all, I'd say she's even better than Mephisto and such if you want quantity over rarity.

Needless to say, she can't drop all the items that the higher lvl critters can but she still can drop some good stuff too :)

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

players 3 i think almost guareentees there will be no 'no drop' as 1 of the items (eg: baal dropping 5 items instead of the max 6), players 5 is apparentyl best if your doing it for exp as well, players 1 is if you want to do many many runs, and i prefer that, players 8 is if you only want to spend a short time, not doing 50 runs and so want to maximise your gains.

5. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

without mistake of mine , only Pindle is not taken by playersX.

6. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Players 8 on Baal is a waste of time to me. With players 3 you still get 5-6 item drop and you do it in half the time. Now the pits since the monsters are not as strong you can do a players 8 without significant time loss.

My strategy is always Baal on "players 3" and Pits on "players 8."

Takis (El_Greco)

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i do for mf: mephisto p3, RoF and hephasto p1 (only for the runes), baal p3, and the pit p8

for lvling purpose i run wsk2 till baal on p8 (baal again on p3 )

worked fine for me

8. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Players 8 is best when you are doing full clears.

Players 8'ing Baal, for example will take much longer time, but there is a higher chance that all the inhabitants of the Worldstone Keep will drop something nice.

If you are really only interested in Baal himself you might want to turn it a bit down.

9. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

i calculated the most efficient way to run hell baal a little while ago... here is the end result of the conversation:
    1) /players 3 is the best setting to virtually eliminate the chance of a no drop.
    2) however, because the odds of rolling several no drops when you kill baal are rather small, and the increase in baal's hitpoints is quite large at a higher players setting, you can only kill him about 5% slower (114 vs 120 seconds) on players 1 vs players 3 without drastically lowering your items per unit time.
    3) for normal monsters, running them at a higher players setting is quite helpful because they will drop MANY more items. however, your best odds of getting a set/unique are from champions/unique monsters who always drop two items and which are absolutely unaffected by the players setting. so, unless you can kill massive numbers of normal monsters without slowing down very much (i don't have hard numbers) you will probably be better off doing your runs at a lower players setting.

what all this means is that unless you are using a static field sorc on bosses you will probably have to run them at /players 1 and unless you are using a char that is capapble of killing LOTS of regular monsters very fast (LF amazon, FO sorc, perhaps a hammerdin...) you will be better off doing your pit/WSK runs at the lower players setting as well.

hope that helps!

10. smurfvyn

Thanks for all the help and feedback!

I gather from the posts here that running bosses at players 3 would be optimal in terms item gain over time. Am running a lvl 65 FO/CL sorc right now at Act 5 NM and am tired of getting Isenhart's Case and Bonesnaps from NM Andy n Meph at /players 8. Thus I thought if I was getting crap at players 8 why not do it at players 1 to save some time. Thanks for the enlightenment on several issues regarding boss runs tho....guess I will be back to players 8 in NM for the time being!

whomhead: You mentioned that champions/uniques are not affected by the /players settings in terms of items dropped. That sounds...unfair! :grrr:

11. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

well, it isn't really THAT unfair since they always drop the same number of items. bosses (diablo, baal...) will drop up to six items and their drops are affected by the players setting because it reduces the chance of a no drop. superuniques (unique monsters that always appear in the same place, such as Pindleskin) ALWAYS drop two items, regardless of the number of players. champions/uniques ALWAYS drop one item (or gold in the case of champions) as well as a mess of potions. this is actually a good thing because there is no chance that they roll a no drop - which is the only drop factor that the players setting has any effect on. so if you play primarily on /players 8 (a feat that is rather difficult and time-consuming in hell difficulty) then it is unfortunate. for those of us who don't have those UBER characters, then it is a good thing that champion drops are unaffected by the players setting. as with all things, it just depends on your perspective. :uhhuh:

12. smurfvyn

Ah...I get it.... :clap:

So the /players basically affects the no-drop factor for bosses, which is why its optimal enuf to run them on players 3 since there is no chance of a no-drop from them right?

And from the explanation, I am glad too with the assured drop from champions/uniques.....I think I just rose a level in diablo2 understanding! :thumbsup:

13. Reigns

Reigns IncGamers Member

Although note, for general game play while magic finding players 5 tends to be optimal in that it takes the no drop percentage down to virtually nil, and doesn't pump the hit points ridiculously. That's IF you can handle it. Characters that don't do a lot of damage should just stick to players 3. And hammerdins should be using players 8 ;)

3 is indeed optimal for bosses in 1.10
    It was players 5 in 1.09 though, if you happen to downgrade
    :)