Player setting and rune hunting question

CrustyRusty

Diabloii.Net Member
So, I've been playing single player for a few months now and I've amassed a pretty ok selection of junk. I've been hunting for runes off and on at travincal and LK and wanted to check my understanding of player settings. I've been running trav at /p3 since it's super fast and the no drop chance in minimal, or at least that's my current understanding. For LK I have been running at /p7 because more stuff drops from the chests, but from what I've read player setting has some effect on what runes drop. I'm playing 1.14D and haven't seen much specific info for that patch, but I figured that something will drop eventually regardless of player setting and I may as well enjoy all the other stuff I find. Anyway, should I adjust my player settings for these runs? Thanks for any input you might have!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
types of runes dropped depends on player setting ONLY for objects like superchests, and /p7 is your best bet in 1.14 since it's the same as 1.13d for patterns.

for council and other targets, you are right to try to maximize drops per min and /p3 is often your best bet, but it really does depend on build, area and playstyle (and map). My guess is that /p3 is probably what you want for council but that's just a gut feeling ;)

CrustyRusty

Diabloii.Net Member
For sure, I've been trying to keep an eye on my run times as well. Trav is a bit slower, but the pally is gets it done on /p3 in like 35ish seconds on average. It's only a little slower than LK, and is a nice break from the monotony. I've been considering a barb build for trav but I need at least one more Lo rune to make it sufficiently ridiculous. I have the vex runes for dual hotos, but I really want dual griefs. One of these days it'll happen... Anyway, thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I think LK is best at /p7, despite the different drop patterns because HRs will be outperformed by the stuff other than HRs, generally.

LK might be worth it if:

1. You can stand doing tedious and boring tasks over a long time.
2. Your character doesn't have to level up any further.
3. You have pretty much all uniques and set items you need.
4. You would be rather fine with finding only gems, jewels and charms there.

Despite the fixed drop patterns or high /p settings, you still need a lot of luck to find a high rune and you might have a frustrating bad streak of let's say 5000 runs before finding anything better than what Hellforge could give you as well. If not all of the above conditions are met, it's probably better to visit a L85 area in my opinion and perhaps Nihlathak at /p1 (higher settings if you need XP or killing is easy). Another option is Travincal. You won't find as many HRs there, but you will find better stuff of other kinds, as well as loads of gold.

BTW, I've never found anything beyond Gul or Vex there while I've found close to 20 HRs elsewhere, something like Jah, 2 Ber, about 7 Sur, 5 Lo and another 5 Ohm.

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
I have had some incredible rune luck in LK and Trav, and found very few worthwhile runes anywhere else. Per unit time those two areas are your best bet. Having said that, if your ultimate goal involves the grail then it's best to start in an area that can drop Tyraels and just live there forever on /players 1. You will find an entire stash of HR long before you complete the grail.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
Despite the fixed drop patterns or high /p settings, you still need a lot of luck to find a high rune and you might have a frustrating bad streak of let's say 5000 runs before finding anything better than what Hellforge could give you as well.
NOW you tell me. :(

BTW, I've never found anything beyond Gul or Vex there while I've found close to 20 HRs elsewhere, something like Jah, 2 Ber, about 7 Sur, 5 Lo and another 5 Ohm.
Me too. In over 2000 P/7 runs, I've found 2 Vexes - anything else is Hellforge level (though I've found a ton of gems, charms, and jewels for crafting). Meanwhile, I found 1 Lo in The Pits, and 1 Ohm in the Ancient Tunnels. I have a "No Enigmas Allowed" rule so it's not so bad, but it'd be nice to see what a couple of the other runewords are like.

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
sur, ohm, vex, gul, all from LK /P7

edit: 1 mal from nm colento, 1 mal from a barrel in at hell andy, 1 Lo from andy herself

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
Run Mephisto on P3. He dropped me two Jah's in 1200 runs :p And Pindle dropped another Jah in lol runs...under 1000

Did 3500 LK runs, and only one Sur, though...

CrustyRusty

Diabloii.Net Member
So far I've seen something like 2 Ohm, Vex, several Mal, 3 gul, and Ist at trav and 2 Sur, Vex, Lo, and some Ists and Mals at LK. I think I found a Sur at the pit as well. I lost track of how many runs I've done once I hit the "sweet lord, what am I doing with my life" point. It's better that way. My luck has been pretty good I guess, but recently both trav and LK have been pretty dry. I haven't seen much in a few weeks. I am one Ber short of Infinity, but I have a Sur waiting to get cubed... I want to give it to my amazon so I can run CS and WSK fast with her. I hope RNG Beelzebub sees fit to kick one my way soon.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Its all about patience, as they all drop eventually. Do whatever is the most relaxing and enjoyable and that usually works out the best:cool: