Player AR and summons

Player AR and summons

Does a player's own base AR affect any summons? If so which. Does it affect skeletons? Does it affect revives? Does it affect wolves, bears, shadow master, shadow warrior, etc?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
The only things that effect the ability of minions to hit, aside from their own level and +skills to boost such, are: Blessed Aim, Conviction, Battle Cry and Defense Curse. Only Desert Warrior mercenaries and Paladins can have Blessed Aim, only Infinity-wearers and Paladins can have Conviction, only Call to Arms-bearers and Barbarians can cast Battle Cry, and only revived/converted Succubi can cast the Defense Curse. The first two are auras, both of which can affect enemies, but Battle Cry and Defense Curse are treated as curses, so only one may apply at a time.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Does a player's own base AR affect any summons? If so which. Does it affect skeletons? Does it affect revives? Does it affect wolves, bears, shadow master, shadow warrior, etc?
Player AR has no effect on summon AR, but it should be noted that Player *LEVEL* does. Higher levels = higher AR for Skeletons, Golems, and Druid Summons- I'm unsure if it works on Valks or Shadows.

Higher character levels also make your minions considered higher mlvl, which also boost their chance to hit. So in other words, every time your character levels up, it provides a DOUBLE boost to your minions' chance-to-hit. It boosts their AR, and it boosts their level.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
If I go from CLvl50 to CLvl60 without adding any skill points to minion abilities, my minions attack rating is still boosted simply because I am a higher level? I want whatever you're smoking, or an explanation of how.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
If I go from CLvl50 to CLvl60 without adding any skill points to minion abilities, my minions attack rating is still boosted simply because I am a higher level? I want whatever you're smoking, or an explanation of how.
Their AR doesn't go up, but their chance to hit does. The chance to hit equation includes a portion that covers the levels of the attacker and the defender. The higher the attacker's level is in comparison to the defender, the better their chance to hit is.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup, quite a nice undocumented feature. It's also bumped up in the higher difficulty levels. Check the Druid Pet Calc and the Necropet calc to see how it works.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
The attacker is the minion, not the player. That makes no sense whatsoever and is more reason we should've gotten five skill points per level while having a maximum of 99 (the skills effects would be more gradual).

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Their AR doesn't go up, but their chance to hit does. The chance to hit equation includes a portion that covers the levels of the attacker and the defender. The higher the attacker's level is in comparison to the defender, the better their chance to hit is.
Actually, no. Their AR absolutely, positively, 100% improves.

If you are level 50 and you summon a slvl 1 Skeleton (with no points in Mastery), that skeleton will have 2099 AR. If you are level 60 and you summon a slvl 1 Skeleton (with no points in Mastery), that skeleton will have 2479 AR. Without investing a single skill or stat point, simply leveling up 10 times from clvl 50 to clvl 60 will increase your Skeleton Warrior's attack rating by 380 points in Hell.

Their monster level improves, as well, which ALSO increases their chance to hit. So in other words, they've got TWO things increasing their chance to hit every time you level up.

The attacker is the minion, not the player. That makes no sense whatsoever and is more reason we should've gotten five skill points per level while having a maximum of 99 (the skills effects would be more gradual).
Makes sense from a balance standpoint. If they didn't do that, then slvl 20 Skeletons would be overpowered in Normal/Nightmare, while slvl 1 Skeletons would be underpowered in Nightmare/Hell. Also, a slvl 1 Grizzly would be pretty much useless, with only 516 AR in Hell (compared to the 3518 it currently has if cast by a clvl 80 character). Using character levels in calculations does a lot to smooth out growth and prevent skills from becoming too unbalanced when used while powerleveling or slumming.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
The original discussion didn't include attack rating, just other ways to increase the chance of minions/mercenaries/etc. chance to hit an enemy.