Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Player 2 has entered the game

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Causa, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Causa

Causa Diabloii.Net Member

So I finally introduced Diablo 2 SP for my 10y old daughter (well just turned 11 after starting this run).

She has seen me play it before and now the time has come to start playing together. First she made her first character and I gave some advice while she made her way into the Den. Soon after this we made two characters that we would only play together.

She is not used to play on PC since she is smartphone/tablet generation. I figured she would need some time to adjust to using potions and checking life/mana bulbs. So the choices we made were Trapsin for her and Paladin for me. I also want to keep the number of skills used in minimun on her chars.
    I thought that with these we could easily punish monsters all the way to hell. Paladin might be little gear dependent untwinked(?) but I see him more as distraction & conviction aura. I thought that it would be good idea to load Trapsin full of MF and use the Paladin as a meat shield.

We are soon lvl20 and progress is little slow due to Players2 (not P8), not enough time and the fact that she would like to pick up 80% of all that is on the ground ;) :p

What advices SP-forum has to give us? I don't have much experience about dual playing D2.
    -Should paladin go conv/vengeance?
    -Trapper skills?
    -Basic advises like mana per kill items?
    -Merc choices?
    -And one other item, what other combos would suite for duo with one more experienced player and one with not so much exp in D2 or in keyboard playing alltogether?

Let the ideas fly. I'll appreciate your experience and effort to help us simple minded folk :)

-Causa

Grape, Southpaw8668, helvete and 2 others like this.
  2. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

My daughter is only 14mo. and likes to come see what I'm playing on cpu. I figure it's still a bit early to introduce her to d2.. ;)

GL, and give some updates to your/her progress.

Causa likes this.
  3. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

If I had to just throw something out there, it might be for your daughter to use a Blizzard sorceress. The only thing bad about that is the skill is not available until level 30. Blizzard doesn't necessarily have to be aimed since it has such a wide area of effect. The downside is that it won't be good for Hell(other than specific areas) because so many things are cold immune, but by then you can put points in a fire or lightning spell to help.
    You could gear up something of your liking to do the major damage while the monsters are slowed by the cold damage from Blizzard. I think it's awesome you are getting your daughter involved with D2. Above all just have fun.

Causa likes this.
  4. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard is available at lvl 24; are you thinking about orb?

You should go dual prayer merc for normal at least; keep one but change the other to Holy Freeze (security) or Might (offense) in NM.

You could always go Cleric, and run Cleansing while Holy Bolt keeps the rest of the party alive. Finally a use for defensive aura skillers.

Conviction to help with immunes, or big HP monsters is mandatory, but for normal play on /p2 should not be necessary.

Traps are minions, so mana/kill shouldn't work with them. Better get an insight+prayer merc going.

Daughter is 28 months, so still a while to go before she reads, much less english.

Causa and Southpaw8668 like this.
  5. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, you are right @helvete. I had a brain fart.

6. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

What I did when a Friend wanted to learn to play, was that I played a conviction paladin and he a Fire druid.

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I have some experience with teaching age 12 and up so may be applicable. If I may give one word of advice is: Let her learn by doing. Today's kids make tons of mistakes and touch everything until they find what works. Nothing comes with a manual anymore, it's all intuitive. It will be tempting to try and control everything, especially in a game like this where skill points are (relatively) permanent, but that will probably be not as fun for her since it is no "IKEA effect" of shared authorship. Again my experience is with slightly older age group so maybe not applicable but that is my experience.

Causa, Southpaw8668 and DiabloTwoinDC like this.
  8. helvete

Barbarians and Paladins work very well with new and/or unexpirienced players. Great tanks, and boosts both offense and defense of the other player. A druid with high oak would also work, I suppose. Necro too, but he is a lousy meat shield on his own, and if skellies are used, they take a lot of the fun out of it for the other player.

9. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

This is probably a good way to ensure safety and something unique to try for yourself, while letting the new player take control in the "I have to kill things" department.

coju likes this.
  10. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

I too played with my twin 11 year olds and probably did too much and showed them too much early into the game and they quickly got bored with it. Today's young generation wants instant gratification, pretty colors and flashy animation. With the somewhat slow drops and slow paced gameplay they migrated right back to their other young kids' online gaming interests. I agree with GooberGrape, let her find out stuff for herself or she might get quickly disinterested. Twinking them out early on I found made it to easy and they lost interest. Hope you have better luck than I did and actually keep her interest all the way through Hell difficulty. I found my kids to really like the Wolf Druid and hated playing my favorite the Summonmancer.

Causa likes this.
  11. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

This is but a mere suggestion that builds upon letting your kid do the fun work. As the dad, you become the walking Infinity, ie go full conviction zealer while the lil' missus go a fast and flashy killer, perhaps a light sorceress. You be the tank, while she the cannon. While the burden will mostly be on you, this party should be able to go trek through hell and back easily.

PS: if you have RWM installed, having a Insight defiance/holy freeze merc would probably be ideal for the both of you.

w/e it is, gl hf :) cheers

Causa likes this.
  12. Causa

Good ideas so far and useful info as well. Forgot about MPK not working with traps, good catch there.
    It's nice that so many of you instantly got the idea what I was after. I wish to be the support player while she could get the excitement of the battle. Now that I think of it I'm not really sure anymore am I on the right path with current char duo.
    While me being in the front keeps her little more safe it might be a tad boring. I must ask her when we continue the game. Sure I could let her be the tanky barb and support with druids oak and cold dmg slowing monsters.

Conv Pala with Orb sorc was one of my ideas also just because orb is easy to use and great. Problem is that I think she needs to get used to use keyboard and pots.
    All the suggestions about good duos are highly valued since I'm rather sure that we will make another pair of characters.
    Maybe something different from trapper/pala so that she can learn new classes and find the ones she likes most (for now).

-Causa

13. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

If the previous suggestion sounds a tad boring, how bout, Pheonix Striker and a Dagger/Cursemancer. You got everything covered as far as obstacles is concerned, and instead of previous suggestion this time she can jump head first into the fray.

14. GooberGrape

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but don't forget you also get a reroll heading into Hell. Why not make a Prayer/Meditation paladin until your merc is up and running? Solves the potion problem.

15. Causa

Good good. Actually not bad idea to make Prayer/Meditation while waiting for insight.
    Now I just can't get TCP/IP game up anymore so there is no progress. Port forwarding setting lost from router and can't remember yet how I configured those. Wan port number is something I don't know.

What weapon before spirit should Trapsin use? Is there anything other than MF/life/res

-Causa

16. GooberGrape

For early game trapsin I always used Leaf and went with fire traps until at least the end of Normal. Some of those fire traps are really strong and visually pleasing as well. You can reroll later into lightning traps.

helvete likes this.
  17. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

any weaps with +mp, mp on kill, ias in that order. trapsin rely heavily on lobbing those bombs ealy on until cbs is viable to use. once you start using cbs you won't be needing those mp on kill. so if all else fails just make a steel in a scimitar and call it a day as it gives you almost everything you need at a cheap price.

18. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Assuming you are both on the same LAN you don't need port forwarding. Just type in "Localhost"

If you are not, make sure you assign a static IP address.

19. helvete

MPK doesn't work with traps, just skills like fire blast or kicks. Blue pots, fire traps and "Leaf" RW is where it's at, as mentioned above.

20. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I don't get bored easily in D2 but both Traps Assassins I've made are (forever?) parked somewhere in Nightmare, due to boredom. But maybe that's just me. Someone new to the game will have a different perspective, at least in Normal difficulty where everything is new to them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017