Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Played long time ago, help with new char!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by bigberge, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bigberge

bigberge IncGamers Member

Played long time ago, help with new char!

Hi guys,

i played a long time ago diablo, it was on the 1.09 patch. I know that these days, nova, frozen orb were my favourites and some of the top dealing damage skills.

i'd like to start all over again a new char, but i dont want to try out 3-4 sorces, and wasting all my time... So i'd like to build a lightning-cold sorce, got any hints? Or why shouldnt i do that :)

Thanks

2. Need a name

Need a name IncGamers Member

First off welcome to the forums.

If you're looking to build a cold-light sorc I recommend you check out the stickies at the top for the guides. In there you will find a CL-FO (chain lightning-frozen orb) build which should be a good starter for you. Just go through the builds there and see which one appeals to you. Hope this helps even a little bit.

Good luck.

3. DIEnamic

DIEnamic IncGamers Member

light/cold sorcs really died after 1.10 came out... the good days of orb/ts are long gone but CL-FO is still a decently good build (at least in my opinion).

if you are asking me to persuade you why you shouldn't then heres why:

1.09 barely had immune monsters and no synergies, so you could effectively clear the entire game our with frozen orb. now the monsters are harder, and pack much more resist so frozen orb alone is no longer a valid option.

the light skill tree doesn't have many good crowd controlling spells... nova's lack of synergies means low damage and chain lightning really just utterly sucks in comparison to meteor or blizzard. the light skill tree is very different, and while chain lightning will get the job done, your killing speed will be much slower than say a meteorb.

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Check out the "Sorceress Guide Library" stickied at the top of the forum for viable builds. Many thigns have changed since 1.09. Mana is usually at base and some builds might be harder to start out. But there are helpers and you should have a permanent companion with you, which will be one of the Mercs you can buy in Act2.

Chain Lightning/Frozen Orb is a common build and you will find the CL/FO guide in the library. Very common is the Meteorb, also in the library. BOth are good to start with. Read the guides carefully and also read alot here http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/ for more information.

regards, meli

5. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

i don't really agree with this. for a start the casting delay on meteor can sometimes be very irritating as it may miss monsters alltogether. furthermore with the right equipment, chain lightning can decimate monster packs on the whole screen, whereas, with both blizzard and meteor you cant cover nearly so much area (meteor does have the burn damage later, but its the impact that really kills in hell). furthermore since chain lightning can be spammed you can often kill faster in some areas....(with enough fcr you can be a speed demon)

most people end up using fireball because it can be spammed rather than meteor anyway but the splash damage will probably not hit as many as chain lightning can.

however if this is your first character then CL/O is *not* a great build as it is somewhat reliant on good equipment whereas both meteorb and blizzard can be used to build up wealth and can be done with well with some cheap stuff.

6. bigberge

Hi guys,

thanks for the info i will for sure visit the links you gave me... So blizzard and meteor huh, orb/meteor is good to, or not ?

Synergy, wassat!! Any links regarding that part of the game?

7. bigberge

8. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

whatever you do, *DO NOT* use both blizzard and meteor, pick 1 as there are not enough points to go around, imo you should use this link:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=254070

as i don't agree with some of the skill point distribution in the other link you posted, it seems a bit outdated too

9. Solus

Solus IncGamers Member

Ide definetly say going blizz because it has good synergies and killing power, and as IOUPAINMAX said blizz sorc is a good "Cheap" sorc build to start with to mass up some wealth to invest into a duel tree sorc. or what ever else you fancy...