Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Planning to build a Zealot

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Snake, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Planning to build a Zealot

I am trying to plan all my end-game gear before I start on the build. This is what I plan on wearing:

Schaeffer's Hammer
    Guardian Angel (maybe upgrade it)

Andariels Visage
    Harald of Zakarum
    Dracul's Grasp
    String of Ears
    Gore Riders
    Raven Frost
    Manald Heal
    Highlords Wrath

I would like comments/suggestions on my gear.

P.S. I still need Schaeffer's Hammer and Andariels Visage (also check Trade Thread ), if you guys have any of these items for trade, please contact me and maybe we can work something out.

[email protected]

2. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Everything looks good, but personally the Schaeffer's Hammer is a bit too slow and you'll have to put too much IAS gear. Barana's star is a better choice or even a Nord's renderizer. Of course BoD would be the best but that pretty hard to come by.

Also maybe a Vamp Gaze instead of Andriel's.

I've got a really good Zeallot guide made by *Cyrus* if you want me to e-mail it to you.

Takis (El_Greco)

3. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

hmz, that is quite a basic setup, although the sheaffers might be a bit low for your pally... maybe a stormlash or a cresent moon runeword in a zerker axe would be a better option, off course a lightsabre/azurewrath/baranar's star would do awesome too

for the rest it looks fine :thumbsup:

good luck with him

robin

4. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Schaeffers hammer is very good if you can get the speed up enough with jewels or by some other method. Tal Rashas Mask is very useful if you dont have a vampiregave, and id probably use either of these 2 rather than Andariel's Visage. You might want to consider a different ring to a manald heal, as you dont need the mana regeneration or steal on a zealot. Id try to get a rare ring with a decent amount of fire and lightning resist (if you beg Ormus might be nice for once). Or a ring with life steal and resists is good too.

One last thought, Baranars Star is very useful for PI's, if you have no other way of killing them

5. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

No need to e-mail me the guide, I have it already. Thanks tho.

I chose Andariel's Visage, because I also needed the 20 IAS.
    What does BoD stand for, by the way?

6. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Breath of the Dying (rune word)

Takis (El_Greco)

7. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Its BotD :)

8. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I would swap Guardian Angel to upgraded Shaftstop, with gear you listed it is not useful to get 15% to max resists (unless if you have big bunch of res charms), 30% PDR and +60 life will serve you better. You will get 40-45% PDR if you combine SoE and shaft and that will keep you going nicely with 75% block

Also swap Manald Heal/Andy Visage for something more useful. If you use Vampiregaze, you don't need any other source of mana leech and you can use rare ring with resists/life leech. Also if you are going to use Gaze, Nosferatu's Coil is awesome belt because you don't need more PDR

Schaeffer's is good if you can make it fast enough but it can be difficult. Stormlash is another just awesome weapon but very hard to find. I would recommend Nord's Tenderizer, I prefer it over Bstar

Also if you get nice amount of life leech (~15-20%) from other gear, you can replace Dracul's with Lava Gout or LoH (they both have 20% ias)

I think it is quite hard to get very good resists on zealot so I have socketed both my Gaze and Shaft with Um and put Pdiamond to HoZ. Still all my resists aren't mexed on hell...

I hope this helps :)

9. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Is it only me who think Gemmershred (Unique Flying Axe) rocks. That elemental damage is so sweet and if you are up against OK who cast IM on you then switch to throw.

DX

10. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

I would go with Verdungo's instead of String because it has the same %DR but gives a huge vit boost and since you don't need the life leech from Strings you don't loose out on anything.

11. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

Thanks for the reply's guys. I think I will go with a Baranar's Star instead of Schaeffer's Hammer. I am still not shure about the helm/belt thing, but I will figure it out while playing.

12. strijdje

wait for borlag, he can advice you alot more then we can ;)

robin

13. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

:lol: Strijdje...

Well, like said, the Schaeffer's is a bit slow and it would require you to socket IAS jewels in just about every item possible for you to reach that 4 frame zeal, and quite frankly, I think it's a neccessarity for the zealot in the end game...I'd suggest going either for Crescent Moon runeword or for Nord's Tenderizer as your main weapon, Lightsabre is great as a switch :)

Guardian Angel is nice but personally I'd say that you can easily live with less resists provided your lightning resist is good. With that said, I'd also suggest Shaftstop or Chains of Honor if you're lucky enough to get the runes someday :)

Andy visage doesn't sound that good to me, Tal Rasha's Mask is a real cheap and easy to find option that I'd recommend if you don't have either the Vampire Gaze or Stealskull, which all 3 would allow you to get rid of...

This: Manald heal. Simply put, why would you need a mana steal ring that doesn't really do anything else that good? A rare resist all ring with steal or AR is much better here. Personal choice would be Wisp Projector which helps enormously with the gloams.

Herald of Zakarum; The best easily attainable shield, simply put. If you don't have the Exile shield (and let's face it, not many do, including myself), there's simply nothing that can beat this shield.

Dracul's Grasp; though they're nice, personally I simply love the Laying of Hands gloves, speed and ED% against demons. The lifetap in Dracul's negates one of the best means to deal with PI's: Reaper's toll and it's decrepify on your merc. Your choice though.

String of Ears, I used SoE for a long time with my zealot, and even though my BotD negates my need for extra steals, I'd recommend this over Verdungo's. Other nice option would be Thundergod's Vigor, especially if you don't have access to a Wisp Projector, though these two combined will make you laugh at gloams.

Gore Riders, Raven Frost & Highlords Wrath: These 3 items are really the best items for the rest, there are basically no other choices here that can beat them.

Also I know I said it before but I'll say it again, Reapers Toll on your merc is something you really should strive to get, there's simply nothing that stands in your way for longer than 5 seconds if you use that combination with a fast zealot and good dmg weapon.

14. strijdje

told ya.... :uhhuh:

15. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

I would like to know why you prefer Nord's Tenderizer above Baranar's Star?

I actualy had anough runes to make the Chains of Honor runeword, but I used bove my ist's on my sorc-runner. Ber is the highest rune I own, but I was saving it for cubing up the runes for an Enigma. Chains of Honor looks realy good too. What to do....?

I have both Vampire Gaze and Stealskull (and tons of tal's helms). Wich is the best, depends on wich belt I choose, right?

Currently I don't own a Wisp Projector, but I will try to trade one.

I have more then anough Reaper Tolls, so equiping my merc won't be a problem.

If anyone else has comments to ad, please do.

16. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I thought you said you didn't have Baranars? Well anyway...Nord's has higher average dmg (148-172) on physical dmg meaning you'll get higher average dmg after all skill bonus'. If you'll take my advice and use reapers with your merc, you'll be wanting the highest physical dmg you can get. Baranar's is definitely not a bad weapon and it has nice physical average dmg (147), good elemental damages and great speed bonus. Also Nord's has the added bonus of freezing the enemies.

Well, this is really up to you, in my opinion, CoH is the absolute best armor in the whole game for every other character but not MF:er (unless you're a sorceress).

Well, stealskull is more for an MFer Zealot, which I don't think is that good option when comparing to the other MFers. Gaze is the best here regardless of what belt you choose to use really.

Other comments? Well, a burrito is great as a switch against IM. Also you could try using the minimum physical dmg possible (yes, that's right, minimum), and the maximum amount of crushing blow possible. This would negate the IM effect and still allow you to kill fast. It's a fun variation of the common zealot :)

17. strijdje

i'll second that :thumbsup:
    with a buriza on my switch i've made a lvl 89 HC guardian of my zealot :yep:

18. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I'm glad to see that other people think that Nord's Tenderizer is a great Zealot weapon. Some people used to dismiss it right off hand, but I think its a great weapon. Altough I'm still partial to Baranar's because it's the weapon I've always used before I got the BotD.

One word of advice Snake, choose a good High Defence 4-socket armour before making CoH. In another words, don't get in too much of a hurry and make it after the first 4-socket armor you find.

Another option, trade all the runes you have and go after an Exile Runeword Shield. Make it on an 40+ resists Ethereal shield like the one below and you'll rule the world!

Superior Akaran Targe
    Defense: 215
    Chance to Block: 35%
    Durability: 11 of 11
    (Paladin Only)
    Required Strength: 34
    Required Level: 26
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0xa607782
    +14% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +44
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 0 used)

Takis El_Greco)

19. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

I am not shure the Exile runeword is better than HoZ. Plus I don't have the runes to make it.

I am getting so exited about making a CoH armor. Would this armor be good?

Archon Plate
    Defense: 413
    Durability: 56 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x30edf902
    Socketed (4: 0 used)

If anyone has a better one and want to trade it, please contact me.

[email protected]

20. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

is lightsabre / azurewrath a good endgame wep?

i have never really compared those so i don´t know.

the light absorb on ls is nice but will you have enough dmg?

what about dmg with azure?