Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Planning a new barb - input please ?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by waflob, May 17, 2005.

1. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Planning a new barb - input please ?

Hi all,
    I usually play 'cower at the back casting spells' kind of chars, but would like to get back to some heroic hack and slay :)

This is what I was thinking (bearing in mind that a char should realistically be complete by level 80 - anything after that should just be minor help)

I have been toying around with a barb using Double Swing as main attack, using phase blades for a nice fast attack speed. I would max Double Swing, Bash (the only synergy) and Sword Mastery only. 5 or 6 each in Shout, BO and BC. One each in Howl, Taunt, Battle Cry, Increased Stamina and Increased Speed. The remaining points I would put into Iron Skin and Natural Resistance, as required.

Item wise, IK belt, boots and gloves. Possibly ik helm, as it gives 10% life leech. There are much better items, but the IK helm would be a ok as well. Armour, amulet and rings - unsure, probably use whatever is needed resistance wise. Maras springs to mind ...

Using these, I would need only 110 strength and 116 dexterity. All the rest can be health, which is always good. If I used an upped Twitch, I could save 10 points of each, resulting in 80 extra life. The ik gloves gives 25% ias, which is 1% short of that needed to 5 frame attack. Twitch would also provide max attack speed. Ultimate armour would be a nice runeword of some sort - Duress look attractive and affordable.

Where the build really gets nasty is when the 2 phase blades have 5 sockets with the Death runeword. 50% chance of crushing blow 5 times a second. Sounds like the ultimate DClone hunter, great for bosses in general. Highest rune for Death is Vex. A bit of luck with some HF runs and you'll have them (cube up the guls). Death also has some other nice mods, such as 20% extra AR, increased damage etc, but it is mainly for the CB that I want it.

What do you think - viable ? Improvements ? All positive feedback welcome

DelBoy

2. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

You'll need to max BO.

3. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

sounds like a nice build, but you definately want to max bo instead of iron skin/nat res. havent heard of any other using double swing as main attack, so let us know how it goes

4. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Silly question, but do you max BO for the duration, the percentage increase, or both ? Looking at the charts, with 5 in BO, you get 47% increase. At level 20, it is 'only' 92% - i.e. 15 levels to double the effect. That was why I only put 5-6 points and went for resistance/defence instead. Also, the 6 in each synergy give an extra minute duration.

I'm trying this out in single player mode (with players set to 8) and so far (middle of act 2 normal) it's a walk in the park. I'm using 2 scimitars at the mo, which are also fast.

Maybe this could be my choice for KTA12 ?

thanks for the responses

DelBoy

5. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

For both of those reasons, as well as the increased durations on Shout and Battle Command.

If you look at the charts, you'll see that after 5 or 6 points, natural resistance suffers from horrible diminishing returns. With a point in battle command and some decent gear, it's quite easy to get to that point with only one point in Natural Resistance.

Similarly, while ironskin gives a straight 10% boost per level, defense is only useful against certain enemies; against magic/ITD, it's useless. Life works against everything. Likewise, Mastery skills don't feature synergies, so it's more prudent to put points in skills that do and just let +skill gear boost the mastery skills.

-Hal

6. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

I see - I realised that nat res had diminishing returns and agree that you can't have too much life.

ok - you've (all) convinced me. 1 point in nat res and more in BO. Thanks again

DelBoy

7. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

wouldn't it better to use another 5 socket eth weap (like zerker or ettin,scourge) and use frenzy as main skill? this might result in a comparable speed with MUCH higher damage.

eth scourges should almost double your damage, so this is probably worth any sacrifice in skill points.

8. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

I can't agree more - Double Swing will always pale in comparison to Frenzy - especially when you factor in damage.

9. psych

psych IncGamers Member

It would be a shame to put Death in a phase blade, because one of the best mods is "indestructible" -> use an eth weapon...

10. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

i've put double swing on my left click and WW on my right click for my WW dualsword barb. and it works well, especially when u want to increase your attack speed. even dual baba's will swung much faster if u use double swing. good for leech mana from monsters when u run out of mana for WW

edit: put only 1 point into it, and it will work just fine