Plague Javalin questions

Lord Nyax

Banned
Plague Javalin questions

Okay, guess what build I have? That's right, a Poison Ama. Pretty damn effective, but I encountered some weird things that I'd like some input on.

First off, I find that unlike Poison Javalin, the "trail" part of the Plague doesn't seem to really do any poisoning. Is it supposed to be this way, or do I just suck at tossing them?

I used Trang's Gloves for a long, long time, because they seemed pretty obvious choices to me. However, as soon as I got my Bramble (50% poison, thank you very much :grin:), I did a little test. I popped on a pair of +3 Javalin gloves, and whadda you know, my damage went from 130k to 131k. Does that make sense to anyone?

Right now I have pretty much the max +skills possible...except for the Amulet. I use a Cat's Eye. Do you think that with the +2 skills possible on an Amulet, the Trangs would again be on top of the +3 Java gloves? I felt bad dumping the Trang's...it seemed like that part was pretty much a given, and it was the first piece of equipment I had gotten for this zon...

Anywho, thanks in advance for the help guys.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Okay, I did a few calculations, and it turns out that Trangs do a bunch more per frame than the +3 Gloves, so I'm sticking with them.

Still interested in knowing about the Plague Javalin trail.

zeiris

Diabloii.Net Member
When I played my Poisson, I used poison jav as my bread and butter, with plague for more DPS once I hit them with a poison. From what I remember, the plague DID seem a lot less reliable - in addition to the fact that you can't spam it like poison jav, so you can't deny areas as well.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Yup. I've noticed that I can only really use Plague Jav in limited cases. A lot of times I'm running for my life, hoping they're dying, which means I just toss Poison Javs left and right behind me. However, Plague does MASSIVELY more damage than Poison, something on the magnitude of 4x as much per second. BTW, I tested out the Plague Javalin tail thing, and it turns out that only the "head" of the Plague Jav actually matters...that's a pain. Plague is mega-hard to use...

ZackulDiablo

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup. I've noticed that I can only really use Plague Jav in limited cases. A lot of times I'm running for my life, hoping they're dying, which means I just toss Poison Javs left and right behind me. However, Plague does MASSIVELY more damage than Poison, something on the magnitude of 4x as much per second. BTW, I tested out the Plague Javalin tail thing, and it turns out that only the "head" of the Plague Jav actually matters...that's a pain. Plague is mega-hard to use...
i use plague like a trap, especially agaisnt melee. Just toss it when they're up agaisnt you. And poison for like fast runners and tele, i dunno, havent test it out yet. Also have you tried tele/plague?

Lord Nyax

Banned
I, indeed, just started using Enigma, and find that it makes life much, much easier. I've only tried Tele+Plague a few times, mostly against Azn's Javazon, who runs like the wind and teleports too. Thing is, if I can connect with a Plague jav the duel is usually over. I need like, 5, 10 seconds tops, then 1 LF and they're dead. Poison, however, takes much longer, which means I have to run more, which means they have a better chance of catching/killing me. Chars that sit still are very, very easy for me.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
I used Trang's Gloves for a long, long time, because they seemed pretty obvious choices to me. However, as soon as I got my Bramble (50% poison, thank you very much :grin:), I did a little test. I popped on a pair of +3 Javalin gloves, and whadda you know, my damage went from 130k to 131k. Does that make sense to anyone?
Makes perfect sense. Poison skills have extreme accelerating returns- i.e. each point gives a BIGGER damage boost than the ones before. I actually made myself a quick and dirty excel calc that figured the +% damage given by each +skills value just to figure out exactly when I should use Trang's and when I should use +3 gloves (and I calculated separate percents for total and per-frame damage so I could decide which I'd rather have). I'd upload it for you, but my hosting is down at the moment. If you have a perfect Bramble, then Trang's will add more damage than +3 gloves if you already have a slvl 49+ Plague (otherwise go with the +3 gloves). If you care more about damage per second, then Trang's wins if you have a slvl 38+ Plague. These numbers get skewed if you have any poison facets. For instance, with 3 Perfect Poison Facets, +3 Gloves add more damage than Trang's unless you have slvl 52+ Plague already, and +3 gloves add more damage per second unless you have a slvl 40+ Plague. By the same token, a lower +% Poison Damage value will increase the effectiveness of Trang's compared to +3 gloves.