Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pk question

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by El_Raya, Mar 28, 2004.

1. El_Raya

El_Raya IncGamers Member

pk question

hello
    I´ve just started my first HC ladder char yesterday and I´m pretty paranoid about all pks out there(especially after doing public sewer runs)

Now to the question:
    A friend of mine said he got pked by a pala who spammed BH and went to town and hostiled.
    Is this possible? Wich other skills can this be done with?
    Is there some classes who is safe to play together with public?

thanks

2. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

at low levels, you wont have problems with any tppking (aka triggers, though i think its possible to do it manually as well) Where they spam the killing skill (in your friends case, BH, its also commonly a bone spirit) then go to town and hostile before the skill hits a now hostile party member, killing them (thats the idea anyways, its possible to survive them, though hard)

At low levels, just play smart, learn to watch for pkers, signs:
    Appropriate levels:
    pkers will very often (95% of the time) use some +max jewels for the damage boost, so watch for the level reqs on those jewels, usually level 18 is what to watch out for, though level 9's are also common pks.
    Common levels for pkers:
    9, 12, 18, 21, 24. (9=wrath jewels, 12=charge and other new skills, 18=carnage jewels, 21=sharp/fine charms, 24=bonesnap, only watch for paladins at 24)

Not to say pkers will only be these levels, but most are, if they ARE an exception, it will probably be between 12 and 18.

Watch for people in the wrong place for their level, if there is a level 18 in town in your sewer game, be wary, good exp stops before you hit 18 in the sewers, so why is an 18 in the game? Could be looking to pk.
    Many pkers are paladins, because its an easy build, lots of people new to pking (or lazy, in search of an easy build) will make a charge-a-din, so be espically wary of paladins.

Look at equipment (no, not maphack) look people wearing masks or crowns (not many act2 pvmers wear them, but pkers do quite often because they can easily hae 3 sockets, which means 3 rubies or max jewels.

Look for red armor, pvmers will occasionally wear it, but a lot of folks wearing it are twinked out, and a twinked out guy in a sewer run often means pk.
    Watch for 2 hand mauls at level 24+, likely a bonesnap.

Watch for any gear which most pvmers at that level are NOT yet using, for example, a crown shield, learn what it looks like, they dont often drop in act2, yet a 1 hand pker quite quite possibly wear it, learn what items look like what and if something seems out of place, check it out.

Most of all, just be heads up, if someone is not there to run the sewers, or arcane, or tombs or whatever it may be, then if you pay attention, you will likely pick up on this. If someone is standing on the waypoint in town, be careful, they might be waiting to ambush the party as it goes through, just keep heads up and you should be fine.

Dont hang around entrances to levels/wp's, if someone is going to hunt you, they are obviously going to come into that level from somewhere, put distance between that somewhere and your character, give yourself reaction time.

If someone hostiles you, either tp to town if you have a hotkey set, or save and exit, dont keep going, the pk usually will come looking, hoping someone will do just that.

That said, dont be paranoid, most people are NOT pkers, just a few are (i mean online in games, a lot of people here are, me included) so dont go being nasty and avoiding every level 18 paladin you see :) I think it is NOT worth being overly paranoid, some people play all solo games to ensure they wont be pked, but myself, I would rather get pked than play alone all the time (or just be heads up, and play public games AND never get pked)

Good luck and welcome to hardcore!

-Matt

3. El_Raya

El_Raya IncGamers Member

thanks.

I will start looking for the stuff you said.
    Its not really the Pks that start hunting you from an entrance or wp im afraid of.
    Its those who kills me in a secound due to some bug. Thats not how I wanna die.

/Raya

4. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, I hear ya, Im dont do any high level pking, so I cant speak from a pkers perspective there, but I do know this, be careful of suspicious behavior there, espically watch necromancers who seem to be doing little in the way of summoning, pure bone necros are rare now, except duelers, so watch out for a Bone spirit tppk necro, just try not to be the closest to him, if he shoots any bone spirits clearly at you, dont stand around to see if he is going to try to kill you, get away from the things (they move so slowly it should be doable)

I had a bone spirit necro try this to a hell baal party i was with yesterday, i didnt really see it, i just heard him hostile, i tped to town, 3 people INSTANTLY quit with their lame chickenhack, i think one of them was the guy he was goin for because he didnt get anyone.

-Matt

5. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

Isn't a tp way too slow? when i hear the hostile sound and I'm not sure where I am compared to an entrance or wp I usually panic and hit alt-f4 ;)

6. remcodr

remcodr IncGamers Member

Hmm not really :) unless you'r on the same screen as the pkr is entering via wp. I never used alt + f4 in all those years, always save + exit manuel. Never trusted the alt + f4 method. However most people die bc they get cocky and arrogant. If you exit the game everytime some1 hostiles you should be k.

7. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

Yeah, well Pk is fine with me, but I don't like the fact that you can be pk'ed by a way higher level char. So I can either watch who's in the game, or leave real quick.

My char before the one I play now got pk'ed in the sewers (normal) because I decided to use a tp when hostiled. I got hostiled, pressed the hotkey but I hadn't made the hotkey connected with my tome yet. Brilliant stuff. I was so close to the entrance that I lived another second before a charge pally killed me in a single hit :grrr:

8. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I use alt-f4 as well. It's annoying to reload the game, but better than death! My pc lags, so esc/exit can be difficult at times. I can always hit alt/f4 more quickly than I can esc/exit.

For me personally, if I am certain that I have enough time to esc/exit, I'll just tp to town. Casting and entering tp is faster than esc/exit for me as well. I'd also prefer to stay in the game and see what happens if I can. :spy:

9. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

The bone spirit pk only work at higher levels (42+, when skill charms kick in). For lower level plays, just set a level requirement. Maybe a summoning necro is the best starting char. It is not easy to pk someone with 1 merc, 1 clay golem, and 5+ skeletons. The necro will have enough exit time at least. Javazon is another safe class. With 40%+ dodge, 75% block and jab, it is any two-hand charger's worst nightmare. Since many of the pks use chicken hack, even if you are not very well equiped, you still may force the charge pks to chicken out with jab.

10. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

The hammer bug was fixed wasn't it?

My mate tried it on me for fun, and the hammers seemed to disappear when he hostiled.

11. det

det IncGamers Member

Don't necessarily need chickenhack...assign "close application" to your mousethumb and you exit in the fastest possible matter.

That said, I have not seen any serious PK attempsts in a long time :scratch: guess someof us are just unlucky

12. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

You mean to assign it in windows?

Problem is, if you leave everytime someone hostiles, you will never know if it was a serious attempt ;)

13. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I use alt f4 when recieving dangerous damage and there is no time to exit normally. Alt f4 DOES save you.

with pk's, if you are not close to town exits, you have the time to make a tp or exit the game normally.

14. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

A 35 necro could concievably be doing about 1K per BS, which is enough to TPPK in normal baals...
    It's unlikely that someone would take the effort of getting a +2 PnB +3 Bonespirit wand, 2 sojs, and a full PA just to use a cheap PK trick in normal baals, but hey, you never know.

15. det

det IncGamers Member

Yeah..mouse properties..or the Logitech properties. Guess i don't wanna know if it is a serious attempt..I am usually too attached to my characters to risk them - which is probably just cowardice. For every serious PKer that not only has the equipment, but ALSO the skills to PK, there are probably 10 idiots who could not kill you, even if you stood still and went to get a cup of coffee.

16. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

* nasal loudspeaker voice *

A PK has entered the game. Do not panic. Please move toward the closest waypoint in an orderly fashion. No need to run, there's ears on everyone. Please state your location or put up a TP. Now go and grab a cup of coffee :D.

That's what NOT to do when a pk enters your game. Well, most of it anyway. The stay calm and don't run stuff is actually good advice now I think of it.

Never EVER open up a TP "for safety". You're just telling the PK where you are. If you open up a TP, get through it for gods sake. Don't ever trust on the tps of your friends. When hostiled, you can only enter YOUR OWN tp (don't know if this is allways true, but why take risks?). So make one of your own and go to town.

If someone in your party tps to town, he leaves his open tp as a sign to where you are in the game. Watching tp's is what I do when I wait 'till the timer has run out. 3 tp's and 5 players = bingo.

Don't hang around in the following places after being hostiled:
    • Town entrance.
    • entrance to a dungeon level. ANY LEVEL, not just the exit.
    • near wp's.
    • near TP's.
    • In the "run" area in a "run" game.

Don't keep on questing/exploring if you know there is a wp in the area. If the pk comes trough, he sees you, and you didn't even know where the wp was.

I think that sums up the give-aways of the hunt, so avoid those and you'll be fine...

17. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

Who cares? If you want to know if its serious you can stay and watch him kill you.

18. fe-crazywolf

fe-crazywolf IncGamers Member

tp pking necros on east

Hi everyone, well I play on east realm and the tp pking necros ive seen recently that have had some sucess and were the most visible were a character named ibongtokeri account name wickedvisions and a necro with less bs damage named dumb_t. When my sorc was at 92, now its at 94, toker was I think mid or high 80s and at the end of each baal run he would spam bone spirit at the person he thought he could kill the easiest. I believe he told me his damage from bs was 6.2 so thats really high and can easily one hit kill a character with only 1000 life without any other protection. He told me that he manually tppks but I dont believe this since it is like a split second that he does it like less than a tenth of a second so I'm sure he downloaded the tppk trigger prog from some reputed site. I realized immediately before I saw him pk that he was dangerous since he was always spamming so many bonespirits so I always made sure to have a tp near me and move far away from him and near the end of the run also have my hand near the alt f4 button. I dont like it that one character can potentially ruin an entire baal run so I still try to stay in the run if im getting good xp for as long as its safe or try to change the password to make it a private game against nonlegit pkers. Ive calculated that with my gear and skills i could take 3 bone spirits from 6.2 k bone spirit damage but I would rather not take that chance especially to someone who is a nonlegit pker and does not deserve the ears he gets. In one game I was happy that a brave soul took back the ear of a fallen comrade that had died to bongtoker and gave it to the poor victim next game. Many people have already complained about bongtoker and he is still a threat since he recently killed a level ninety and it is super cheap when someone can kill other with a cheat and not put themselves at any harms way themselves. Also if you see ibongtokeri never allow loot to him cus the *** i've heard will never give his victims their stuff back.

19. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

hehe yeah. I meant to say that when I'm hostiled in the sewers I prefer to TP to see if the hostiler actually enters the sewers and starts fighting. I hate it when someone hostiles and then leaves.

On a sidenote, you're into pk. Im not a big fan of pking, but as long as i don't have to leave the game immediately it's fine with me. Your remark makes it sound like everybody should better leave the game as soon as the hostile sound goes. That's exactly why a lot of people hate the hostile option. I really hate pressing alt-f4 but I'm really sure I die to any pk because I have l33t gambled rare stuff gambled by myself :hanky:

20. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

A few weeks ago lost a summoner to that very thing. There was a lot of lag, due to the minions, a few stacked blizzards. A stack of Bspirits comes at us, and dude had hostiled just in time. My lvl 28 neco down in a flash. Had to laugh at the cheesiness of it. Too bad though, he was holding some nice necro gear. Although I wasn't really pissed, as I should have been paying closer attention. That said, I think that taste of cheese is what I'll take away from D2- I haven't really played since then (a few weeks ago). Lurking here is also fading, I think its time to actually walk away. To all those who made the game fun: thanks!