Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pits Not working out for me

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Pherdnut, May 19, 2005.

1. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Pits Not working out for me

It's probably just luck, but I've been running cows and Pits runs back to back primarily for socketables and cows has been turning up something interesting or close to godly nearly every time whereas Pits haven't dropped squat. Furthermore I haven't seen one Zerker Axe, Archon Plate, a Collossus Blade or any of the nicer polearms on any of the runs. Yet cows seems to drop a Monarch shield every 2-3 runs. I realize these items are rare, but you'd think I would have at least seen a flawed version of one of these in the last few days. Should I maybe try Pindle runs instead?

2. Fluffballer

Fluffballer Diabloii.Net Member

I believe The Pits are known for the chance to drop high TC items, not for a chance to drop socketables. Socketables might be near worthless except for the market and insane runewords.

edit: Oops, I think I misread your post, though hopefully what I typed is still true.

3. euroeric

euroeric Diabloii.Net Member

As far as archon plate- my sorc runs pindle and gets a 3-4 sock archon every week or so (about every 500 runs). So off him at least, I'd say archon is very rare. It's also insanely expensive to repair archon runewords if you've never had one- about 200k per durability. I save ral's and use it in the cube once they are about to break.

4. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

OK, you two last posters are COMPLETELY off...

First, pindle NEVER drop runewordable items (other than the runes, which are VERY rare from him). His mob does, but with the kind of MF you'd use for that kind of runs, even that is rare.

Second, Cows drop from a special TC. TCs are only the type of base items it has NOTHING to do with flawed/low quality/cracked items.

High TCs and chanse of socketables have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. MF make less whites/greys drop, not high TCs.

About the repair costs, they are insane for SUPERIOR items, sockets have little to do with it. But don't RW a superior item with more durability or +1 AR if you can avoid it (or are making an indestructible or self repairing RW, or RWs for merc purposes).

5. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

I think its just luck, and it takes a lot of runs to make the averages work out. I have found some nice socketables in cows, but I would say that the rate per run (which is far less than 1 item I think is worth keeping to use or trade,) is higher in the pit than on the farm. Plus, you get all of the nice bosses in the pit who drop magical or better, and the uber chest at the end, which can spawn nice runes or charms.

All that to say don't give up on the pit. There is good stuff in there.

6. Fluffballer

Fluffballer Diabloii.Net Member

"High TCs and chanse of socketables have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. MF make less whites/greys drop, not high TCs."

That's what I said... how is that completely off?

7. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Oops, think I misunderstood, then. I'd have gotten it right if that sentence had been reading: "I believe The Pits are known for the chance to drop high TC items, not for any higher chance to drop socketables." sorry about that.

8. Decebal

Decebal Diabloii.Net Member

Found an eth Archon def 746 in act 2 Halls of the dead level 3! I thought Archons could not drop there but obviously it does! :D

Pindle friends (out in the yard) dropped med lots of archons! If u want to increase the drops of socketable items I suggest u wear no MF at all!

/Dec

9. tarzanell

tarzanell Diabloii.Net Member

Persevere.

I'm not using this example to blow smoke up my backside, but in the pits this week I've found a tal armor, trang helm, an eth stone crusher, a 3 soc eth sacred armor 800 def, and an ohm rune. The last 2 months or so have yielded me NOTHING worth even considering. So remember, it will even out long term if you have the patience (granted, I've played waaaaay too much this week and I'm taking a break for a few weeks, i think my eyesight is going to go soon :D )

10. Hetchman

Hetchman Diabloii.Net Member

Pits are great for either MF or Socketables (or item find as I like to refer to it)

The thing is, don't think you'll get things ALL the time. The pit CAN drop just about anything in the game....there's not guarantees that it WILL. If you are looking for upper tier uniques, then wear tons of MF on pit runs. If you want socketables, then wear ZERO mf. That's right, not an ounce. MF is detrimental to the cause if you're looking for items. Since you want white/gray items and not magical ones, MF will completely hose that. The thing to keep in mind is that you won't find a "keeper" item every run, or every 5 runs...or even every 10. I'd say closer to every 15 or so runs, you'll find one keeper item. Sometimes your luck will be better, sometimes worse. In my experience, every 15 runs or so you find something interesting.

Also, here is an example of what I run and with which character:

MF: Mephy with my cold sorc on hell.
    Itemfind/socketables: Hell difficulty. The Pit, Ancient Tunnels, and worldstone keep (provided there are no gloams). I do this with my wind druid.
    Hell countess, and then cows for runes, gems, and socketables with my lightning sorc.

Once I get my greedy barb done, i'll farm either NM or Hell travincal for gold, dependant upon which he survives. With the gear i'll be toting, a hork upon a council member yielding 100k gold will not be uncommon. I'll use that barb as my gambler, gambling upon rings and ammys hoping to find godly ones.

Not saying i'm an upper class player, far from it. But i've been playing since 1.08, and I kinda-sorta know what I'm doing. Four characters I've found I can't live without in the d2 trading world are as follows:
    MF character
    Whup-ass character
    Runerunner
    Goldfinder

This ladder season (my first in 1.10) I used a cold sorc, wind druid, lightning sorc, and a forthcoming barb respectively for all those. Next season who knows?? I might change it up a bit. Hope this was informative and helpful. :D

11. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus Diabloii.Net Member

If you play Single Player then change your map seed.

Statistics and the D2 RNG being what it is ... I had lousy luck with MF for months and finally I decided to change my seed and within 10 Pindle runs he drops a Crown of Ages ...

12. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

I think that changing map seed don't help, you were just lucky.
    It would be nice if some stat guru can confirm this.

To the topic: While cows are probably best place to get socketables if you have effective cowrunner, they have largely reduced chance to drop from TC87. So while you should get socketed archon plate soon, you will not see much Berserker's Axes and Colossus Blades there.

13. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Nowadays I run Pit almost exclusively, and I can tell you, it is one of the best places for high socketables, if not the best.
    The trick is, run with small MF, so that those Archons, polearms that drop won't become blue or yellow.
    Some stuff I've found:
    2x Eth CV
    5+ 4 soc Cryptic Axe, non-eth, but still, high socketables dropped
    Many many Dusk/Scarab/Archon/Hauberk of all kinds
    Eth 4 soc Greater Poleaxe
    Etc...
    Bottomline is, you might be running with too much MF, or you are just unluck, keep at it and you will be rewarded.

14. Tarantella

Tarantella Diabloii.Net Member

It will become frustrating to seek specific items in a specific area that will not drop what you want so to avoid this combine other tasks such as high money find for gambling and white elite weapon find for level 8 imbues.

Run with 0 mf of course but trade for the item you want if unsuccessful.

15. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

I understand the theory behind having no MF but I haven't seen a single archon, blade, or zerker anything. The item type is rolled first, right? Had no idea the repair costs were that high on Archon. I think I'll stick to Dusk Shroud if I get an Enigma.