Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pit zon is killing a little slow

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Grobyc, May 8, 2005.

1. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Pit zon is killing a little slow

I have a 81 amazon using an upgraded Buriza for Pits and I feel like it's going a little slow, I'm not sure why that is when compared to when I used an upgraded Witchwild String, it's actually a lot faster.

Weapon: Upgraded Buriza socketed with Nef
    Armor: Skullder's Ire socketed with Topaz
    Helmet: Stealskull socketed with Topaz
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Belt: Goldwrap
    Boots: War Travelers
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Rings: Two Nagels

20 Strafe
    20 Penetrate
    17 Valkyrie
    12 Critical Strike
    5 Dodge
    3 Avoid
    3 Evade

Might merc wearing Reaper's Toll, Duriel's Shell, and Tal Rasha Mask

Could anyone see the reason why? My resistance is actually very low with this build, I die almost always when cold enchanted monsters blow up. But aside from that, I don't really die and my killing speed is actually rather fast, but I don't feel like it's fast enough. I deal about 2.7k with Might, I'm actually considering to the point where I want to get my merc a Pride if I ever get the runes for it.

2. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

I think youre at that point where you can only greatly increase killing speed by reducing mf. My personal preference is LF amazons where I have tried maxing passives occasionally.Max inner sight does make a difference to the killing speed of my merc and valk and should make a difference to the buriza killing speed . A decoy of any sort will help keep bosses away before they explode and of course anything that reduces the cold resistance of the monsters will help .Infinity RW for the merc can do this.

Prebuffing a valk with +3 amulet,+3 headgear and +3 gloves and perhaps +3 bow(harmony-worth a look at in itself) or +2 JLS and +2 shield is good.Synergised Level 30+ valks start killing act 1 creatures in one hit.

3. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

But changing my gears really wouldn't make that big of a difference since most people sacrifice MF for IAS (in cases of WWS and WF) and Buriza is practically at the best speed there is without overloading with IAS.

I thought of making a LF zon, but since those rogue archers are annoying to no end and it's far too troublesome to get the valk or merc to kill it, I thought I would just stick with a bow instead.

I don't think Inner Sight would help a lot. I would have to cast it while they are within range when I could be shooting them already instead, it also has a weird glitch/bug when you cast it, it sometimes get interrupted and fail to cast when there is another command or get hit.

I don't use my Valk or merc to kill, they are only there as tanks, although they could kill when the time comes, but they are usually just used as a distraction.

If I had the runes to make an Infinity, I think I would rather make a Pride instead, it's just a little bit more expensive but it helps the amazon out more than Infinity can. Infinity is more for the sorceresses or LF zons.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

You could try loading up on charms that give +damage/+attack rating...I know +2 damage doesn't sound like a lot but when you combine it with high dexterity (+300) and a Might aura it adds up.

Also sacrifice some MF gear! Even if you don't need the IAS you can still get a Ravenfrost for huge bonus to AR and Dexterity, and some added protection against cold enchanted bosses. Skullder's is probably not worth dropping since it gives so much MF, but Lionheart armor is almost tasty enough to consider it, with huge stat bonus, resists and enhanced damage.

2.7K damage seems like quite a lot, especially combined with Decreipify from Reaper's Toll...Also bear in mind that bowazons aren't Blizzard sorcs with massive damage...Pride isn't necessarily better than Reaper's Toll...Reaper's is much better for survivabililty and the Decreipify does add a considerable amount of damage. Also Reaper's can break physical immunes.

5. MortIIs

MortIIs IncGamers Member

Give Atma's Scarab a try ;)

6. KillaBrothers

KillaBrothers IncGamers Member

hey, this may not be the best time to tell you this, but if you want a piting ammazon - go with poison... It's just incradible killing speeed, you gotta' try this! plague javelin combined with LF from thundergods clears pit as fast as nothing I've eva' seen! Plus you get to wear quite a lot of mf...

7. bigblr

bigblr IncGamers Member

What's the point of the pits without mf? :confused:

8. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

the pits tend to drop some nice socketable items. the ideal mf for the pit is 150-200 imo. maybe 250.

9. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

The reason why I don't really like Reaper's Toll is because it generally isn't very helpful unless I run across some Bone Warrior with Stone Skin because more often than not, I could kill the stuff before my merc could get to them, this is also considering that my Strafe could shoot off screen. But even when Bone Warriors have Stone Skin, they aren't completely immune and they show up about 1/3 runs or so, so Reaper's Toll isn't really helpful in that aspect.

I should probably try out the Ravenfrost though, seems like a good idea. I'm also considering using a Razortail since it gives quite a bit of damage as well but I can't put it to its full potential since I already have 100% pierce.

I thought about Atma's Scarab, but 1/20 to deal double my damage when I could wear Highlord's Wrath and practically garuntee double damage, I think Highlord's Wrath wins out, it also gives a plus skill (which doesn't help a whole lot for this build).

I just don't really like the poison build because there is like a universal resistance to poison which reduces its effectiveness quite a bit. The range on it is also pretty low, the main problem with the build is that the rogue archers from down there will tear you apart and you can't use LF on them which I am assuming would be your main attack (or would be when you reach down there).

Perhaps I am asking for too much because I'm actually killing rather fast, it's just that I may be expecting to kill in one Strafe. Just feels a little long to have to shoot for ~4-6 seconds.

10. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

if you can afford to pimp your ride, make a lf zon with backup upgraded shaeled wws for the nasty lightning immunes ^^guess you could spare some points to get up to strafe. that is if you are wealthy.

11. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

your pit runner looks okay to me, in terms of both skills and equipment, - except that replacing 1 nagelring with a raven frost (any dex) could boost your killing power more than offsetting the loss of up to 30% MF from the replaced ring. This is the same idea for choosing to use LoH instead of something like Chances (with a loss of up to 40%MF).

As for play style, I believe you should actively use your valk, merc, and decoy. Your merc's body armor is not good enough - you need to give him something like Stone, or set Bolrog Skin, or anything close: the trick is to get FHR%/defense as high as possible for him. Tal's mask + reaper look ok to me. They will not boost YOUR killing speed, but will save your time by helping you die less frequently. With a valk of lvl 17+ and your help, a lvl 81 merc should rarely die in act1 if equipped correctly.

BTW, LF Javazons can do pit runs, no big problems here. My most recent Javazon on ladder can do pit runs with ease. Her valk never dies, her merc rarely dies even without potions (and this javazon has not died once in my hands). Since this is just Hell Act1, all monsters are easy to kill (including cows too). So I believe any decent and half decent zons can do pit runs, and even their killing speeds should not differ too much in a 1ppl MF game (though their killing power will vary wildly in an 8ppl game).

12. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

I do recast my Valk in the Pit level 2 mainly because there are usually archers or something and I don't want to tank so I get my Valk to do it. Aside from that, my merc pretty much just sits behind me and gives me aura, not that he's not wanting to fight, it's just that I kill most things before he gets there. He's also pretty stubborn too, he tends to stay behind me a lot of the time.

The only time I really die is from Cold Enchant since I get a little too cocky sometimes and stand a little too close, but if I'm careful, it's not a problem.

13. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

i would cast Valk in town at the highest possible lvl I can get: 25, 28, etc, and the best would be 30+. In actual fighting i would only cast and recast decoy. It's virtually impossible for a valk like that to die in Hell act1 (tho she does disappear occasionally). After entering pit lvl 2, I would take a few steps forward and cast a decoy down the edge of my 8x6 screen, and then run back a bit to force valk/merc to move out. The decoy will draw all the initial fire, and valk/merc will be in the heat of the fight pretty quickly. After that, it's just a matter of time to clear the little area. Recasting Decoy on top of merc, or shooting FA towards him, would help him survive when surrounded. To avoid explosive death dmg from CE, I would either cast decoy on myself and run away a bit (if I'm chased by extra fast CI), or cast decoy right next to the CE boss to stop the whole pack; this will work almost all the time. A raven frost can completely eliminate the threat of CE explosion.

14. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

My Decoy doesn't last very long, it buys about 1-2 second, practically the time I used to cast it, so it's practically useless for me. The Valk hardly get any hits in, so it's just there to tank.

15. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Ok. Strafe is about speed. Many arrows piercing many grouped targets at a high rate of speed creates high damage over time (as well as frequent procing). This is your problem and the reason that the WWS seems faster in the pits. One of the first 1.10 char's I built was a pit running buriza weilding zon. My gear was different than yours but I killed very quickly with multi. You only need 95% ias for this build and laying of hands works wonders based on the high base damage of the buriza. A bunch of dex and a demon limb on switch and you should destroy the pit. I know some think that a crossbow makes sense for a straffer due to next delay but with the buriza, you are also experiencing next delay anyway. Best case scenario, you are hitting first and 3rd arrow which are 8 frames apart. You can't possibly hit all those monsters fast enough with strafe to keep them off of you.