Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pit running

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Apr 10, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

Well, hello there. I've searched a bit about this topic, but I can't really find a satisfying answer.

I am going to try and see how my Summoner does in the Pit. I've tried P3, but CE isn't quite as effective as P1. Are there any tips for increasing the damage of CE, besides using Amp?

What do I look for in a good map? Boss packs? Distance? Outer Colister WP?

Any information is much appreciated.

2. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Depends on what you want to do really, although map layout is always important. So do you want to mf, rune hunt, get xp, combination of those, ...?

3. NamelessPenguin

A bit of everything, I guess. I play an untwinked Summoner, which needs an absurd amount of HR's to be effective. And I have no gear, what so ever. Perhaps I should focus on good gear first, I have 61% mf :rolleyes:

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Yes, you need good gear in order to become more effective :). How many checkmarks can you put behind the following items?

Harlequin Crest
    Arm of King Leoric
    Homunculus
    Skin of the Vipermagi
    Frostburns or Magefists or Trang gloves
    Arachnid Mesh
    Alur's or Natalya's or rare boots which are better than them (perhaps Marrowwalk at a later point)
    Something like 2 Um runes (for helm and armor... the shield is socketed with a pdiamond, that's good enough)
    Rare fcr rings or SoJs if you are lucky
    5 summon skillers

I think that nightmare Worldstone Keep plus minions plus Baal might be a good place for that. Everything from the list except Arach and Marrowwalk can be dropped by bosses there, their minions and Baal. I would not enter hell mode until you have at least half of these items and a halfway decent replacement for the other half. Do it at /p1, except the minions which you could to at /p8, for XP in case your necro is below L80 and if it doesn't slow you down too much. Baal is done at /p3, no maximize his drops.

Going for HRs becomes an issue when you are done with most of the uniques. Besides, the only HRs which your summoner might need are Jah and Ber, but they are so hard to find that it makes sense to do all the other useful things first.

5. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

This isn't hardcore, right? Go run Andariel on Hell. She's bugged to always give first kill drops, and she's pretty easy prey for skeletons, even more so for amp, since she is severely lacking in fire resistance.

Stick 4 perfect topazes in an armor, and go nuts. Should get you a nice selection of uniques fairly quickly. Move on to pits from there.

6. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

*shrug* I think it's probably easier and more fun to just run areas than Act bosses for a summoner. Or, at least do both in a run?

7. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

From my experience, a Summoner does quite well in the Pits. My current one is, with the exception of his Carin Shard and his lone Summoner skiller, untwinked and at level 89. From what I remember of his gear:

Lore
    Smoke Mage Plate
    Carin Shard
    Rhyme Grim Shield
    +1 skills ammy with resistances
    2x crafted rings with resistances
    Chance Guards
    Upped Goldwrap
    Rare boots (pretty rubbish)
    Might merc with Insight

Running at p3, I raise my army in Pindle's yard and then run Pindle, Eldritch, Ancient Tunnels and The Pits. For the Pits, I always have my 11 skeletons raised before entry, as sometimes there's a boss group or two right there and if there are stacked auras, that can get a bit hairy. I also try to ensure I have 8 revives going (I prefer Dark Stalkers over the other available candidates in The Pits). The increased radius of maxed Corpse Explosion really helps as most times the first explosion doesn't kill much so the maxed radius takes more monsters down to about half, making it easier and quicker for your army to get the NEXT kill. At that point, I find the Corpse Explosion starts the domino effect. Equipping the merc with Insight really helps when I need to string together a good run of explosions, like on Level 2 of The Pits.

No, it's not the fastest Pit runner - other than LK runs, I don't concern myself with speed that much as I enjoy the gameplay - but it is one of the safest (I only play Hardcore). There are lots of cold attacks down there so even though I stand behind my army, I still wear Rhyme to be safe as a stray Archer sometimes gets her cold arrow past the army.

8. NamelessPenguin

@krischan None. I don't have any of those items o_O I have found a sick LK map though, which makes it actually quite fun to run&tp LK farming. Found an Ohm so far :)

@helvete Good tip! I thought you should do a lot of wonky stuff to get that Andy bud?

@pharphis Yes, the he's not the best boss runner, but to get things started, I could probably do some Andy running.

@sanguillen My questing gear looked pretty much the same as yours, but now I'm trying to pack as much MF as possible.

9. krischan

No, it isn't, but summon necros aren't really quick at getting monsters killed, so regarding the "loot per second" question, I would do something about the "per second" part first, i.e. go where you can kill quickly. If that's the Pits, then it's OK.

Yes, that's right. She's also surrounded by monsters which can be blown up or raised after being killed.

What I haven't considered is the amount of time needed to raise the skeleton army. Do you already have access to Anya's red portal in act 5? There's plenty of free resurrection material behind it which would speed up that issue a lot! Even then, summon necros don't benefit much from visiting just one place in a game, so it makes sense to visit more areas. If you can do the Pits, why not?

You are doing everything right if you have fun, even if it might not be the most effective route to wealth.

sanguillen likes this.
  10. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Do P1 Pits for MFing Nameless.

11. NamelessPenguin

Yes, I have access to Anya's portal. Good idea to raise skellies there. I am going to see how my Andy map looks, but I simply can't re-roll my LK map. The absurd amount of HR's required, I might as well start there. But I could always spice it up with some Andy runs. However, the uniques required is not so bad.

12. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

I would run LK with a sorc :) even if the map is supreme on another char :) and rerolling maps takes a bit of time but not anything near the time it takes to grind the runes.

Hell Andy and NM Baal (until 80) just like mentioned above would be my advise.

edit: oh and don't get blown away by all the people with a ton of wealth on these forums :) it can be quite overwhelming. You already mentioned it but having fun is the wealth that counts the most, the other things are just 101001001000100001110001

13. NamelessPenguin

@BKC The plan is to take this guy as far as I can, untwinked, that's why I'm running LK with him. I only need 6 Ber's to kick butt :rolleyes: And FortiDude + CtA...

I'm also collecting Ptopaz's for more MF. Kinda sucks running Pits with 19% Mf.

14. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

15. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Bases are always underrated in my opinion a good base make a top notch runeword :)

16. krischan

In fact, I would do basically every kind of MF with a blizzard sorc when starting from scratch until I have enough gear for a few other characters. That would certainly be more effective, but I guess that's missing the point :)

17. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

I can provide a few pointers about this whole thing. This is for Enigmaless summoner. Once you get Enigma, I can provide pointers for that playing style too since it will differ a lot than walking version.

- apart from amplify damage, - fire resistance also boosts CE damage (not worth it imo), but in general CE is super strong even on p8, just make sure to max it out to have great range, 3-4 casts and full screen is dead

- good map = close entrance (super important for walking build) and dense bosspack interior (hard to find good map, but I wouldn't bother with OP interior until you make Enigma)

- merc damage is the holy grail of summoner, his most important stat that makes or breaks the build. If merc is strong = strong summoner. If weak merc = weak summoner, regardless of skeleton levels and details about them

- skeleton damage IS NOT as important as people usually say. I have played 500 dmg skeleton summoner and ~800 dmg skeleton summoner with no visible difference, because my merc was superkillingmachine and he makes all the important corpses, skeletons are here like 75% meatshield 25% helping merc provide corpses faster. So, MF >>>> skeleton damage. However, this is Enigma variant, I can't be certain is this also true for walking variant. Long story short, make your merc powerful, skeletons are only meatshield backup, or at least that's what I concluded playing summoner and that's why I prefer PNova over it any day

- since you are walking, go to the entrance at p1 and kill some monsters on the way for a fast skeleton army. No need to waste time on Pindle garden. In fact it is never worth it unless you run pindle, even then you are probably better not to summon more than 2-3 skeletons and let merc do the killing supported with golem and 2 skeletons whose role is only to act as a meatshield for both you and merc. Before entering pit, you will have your army ready and put whatever players settings you want

- consider having teleport amulet/circlet charges in your inventory. When you get out there first, use teleport charges amulet, walk toward pit entrance, gather monsters, 1 teleport there to bring your merc, fast corpses, 2 CE for whole creen dead, summon army, swap out teleport amulet with regular one and go into pit with full army ready

For everything else, you need Enigma and then I can provide some techniques to make summoner effective with it.

18. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Also, I have to warn you about my advices because I don't share most common beliefs about summoner which are most commonly spread around as facts:
    - my conclusion is skeleton damage is not super important while most players say it actually is
    - my conclusion is summoner is not safest necro build for HC or in general while people say he is
    - people usually go to great lengths to boost skeleton damage as high as it goes, instead I prefer to boost MF due to first stated conclusion

19. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

uhh skellies can't be meat shields by definition...

T72on1, hasuprotoss, Namtar and 4 others like this.
  20. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

But revived bo'd PI blood Lord's can

Edit Uber balrogs ftw

pharphis likes this.