Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pit runner?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hrus, May 21, 2005.

1. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Pit runner?

I think that it's time for me to build an effective Pit runner. I want to ask for your opinions, which Pit runner is the best and why. I am aiming for 400 MF build effective for item hunting.

1. Frenzy Barbarian - exptremely fast, can skip the regular monsters/minions and kill bosses. Can hork. I can easily rebuild my axe Frenzier Pat, I don't have good axes as Death Cleaver, only dual Cranebeaks.
    2. Whirlwind barbarian - I did never tried that build and it could be fun. I have Tomb reaver, which seems like a good weapon for whirler. I don't have IK armor for IK build. Babas can hork!
    3. Strafer - I don't have Windforce, only upped Witchy.
    4. Lightning zon - I can easily rebuild my Baal runner (less power, more MF), but I think she likes Baal more...
    5. Usmahamancer. My Ohm and Sur are waiting... still no Death Web for me... With a Bramble, I will loose around 100 MF from armor...
    6. Vegasorc? cheesy...
    7. Hammerdin? - excels more at Baal/CS runs.
    8. Fishy? I have tried and the killing was quite slow (at least in normal), I don't like passive killing. No Fishy for me.
    9. ???? help me here.

2. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

No wind druid?

I'd go wind druid or hammerdin for the pit

3. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

I like 5. No need for Death's web/Bramble. Just the full trang's oul set will do very nicely.

strafer or a frenzy barb is fun too.

4. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

- Hammerdin (very powerful)
    - IK WW barb (mine does good /p 8 pits)
    - WF Strafer (can be uber)

I like physical damage more and also the powerful magic damage.

5. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

You need to let us know what player setting you want to do the pit at. For p1-p3 a fishy can carry the most mf while having amazing killing speed. For higher players settings the usual suspects, meteorb, windy and hammerdin, would probably be better.

Do you accept charity or are you self-found? If the former pm me an email and I'll organise a IKSC for you - I found two or three in the last MFO during a LOT of pindle runs.

MAAM

6. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Go strafer all the way, My Mav's strafer zon does pits at p8 with no problems..

7. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

I wouldn't recommend sorcs or lightning zons for pit running. The carvers down there are FI, skellies are CI, and archers are LI, so no matter what you're going to have to rely on your merc to handle a lot of the monsters.

As for barbs, my personal experience says that they're too slow to run effectively. When I took my PvP whirler to the pits to level on p8, it would still take him 5 minutes or more to clear the area even decked out in full killing gear (ebotd/beast, inventory full of AR/damage charms, 0 MF) and not stopping to hork corpses.

My recommendation would be a hammerdin if you're running on a high player setting or a fishymancer if you're running on a low player setting.

8. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

What players setting you are going to use?

If the setting is p5 or higher, then I would use hammerdin. Obviously they are excellent on lower settings too

For p3-p5 usamancer and meteor sorc are good options. And a LF zon too if you can kill LI's fast enough

For low settings all those builds are good. I think I would choose hammerdin/venomancer for overall pwnage or ww barb if you run on p1-p3

@ kabal

Dual-tree sorcs exist :D

9. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Hi Hrus,

I'm doing Pit runs with a hammerdin and he's still not that good at it. Hammers do about 5-6k damage with concentration on (lacking a HoZ and skill charms) and the archers are a pain. One run costs about 15-20 minutes for me. I recently switched to running Mausoleum with him, a lot better ;) So, my experience says: look for some other build for Pits.

10. agrégatif

agrégatif IncGamers Member

I would say the same as Kabal here (hammerdin on p8 or fishymance under p3). Other builds can be good at running pit but the ones he mentionned are the ones that can do with the more mf.
    Hammerdins also can run fast if you switch auras for vigor when not killing monsters.
    Note that I've only had experience with the ones mentionned, strafezon, lightningzon and vegasorc.

11. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I am doing pit runs on p2 with my fishymancer, and i have a hard time imagining how it could be faster. (and safer) Packs dont even really slow me down as i walk through that place. that is definitely my fav area to run with that char.
    Though i can imagine a hammerdin is even better with higher player settings (i am just not really a big paladin fan). CE does not result in such fast destruction on p4+ but for mf runs p2 is optimal imho.

12. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I'd say hammerdin all the way. They're not too expensive to kit out either (compared to a venommancer that is). I can do p5 pit runs in under 3 minutes with 9k dmg hammers at 75fcr. Make sure you get a map so that the pit is very close to the Black Marsh wp and so your pit is linear and quite small. You want a small map since there always seems to be a similar number of boss packs down there, so the smaller it is the less other stuff you have to plough through.

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Thank you for your input, I think I will try a hammerdin build. It will be my first of "3 great cookie cutters" (counting meteorb, fishy, hammerdin).

14. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

I would say Fishymancer... :cyclops:
    They are very powerful and IMHO if you don't like passive playing then don't play passively :p
    One of the most speed-demanding characters I have is the fishymancer, it takes a lot of APM to play it to perfection. You can just AMP the first wave of monsters then CE a bit, that's true, or you can keep AMP'ing every single new monster that walks in your screen while CE'ing like crazy and recasting your Bone Armor every time a Fallen hits you once... The difference in running speed is not that much, but at least my muscles get warmed up :) If you want to play that way, the Fishymancer can be a quite exciting char. :) I do combined WSK + Pit + Ancient Sewers runs, and both the Pit and AS takes me around 3mins to clear with the proper Revives and Skellies already summoned.
    I just can't seem to get a decent drop with him though....

--Repusz--

15. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I've run the pit w/ every character I've played and effectively (save BFsin). My advice would be to take the character you are most comfortable w/ playing and use them for Pit runs.

16. parawizard

parawizard IncGamers Member

I can run the pit with my Poison Necro quite efficently with just trangs set and a lvl 34 poison nova. Pnova is around 6K damage + LR and my other -40% to enemy resists. I have 2k firewall and a 1K meteor also for my use against Poison Immunes. Everything goes down pretty quick on p3. More then that takes a few more novas. With a deaths web or a bramble (im on the way to making a beta bramble, 1.09 hellforge rushs!) you would be able to make it through with higher difficulty settings quite fast. ATM its my favorite character :)

17. mad.as.a.meataxe

Hrus, did you want the IKSC I offered? Lemmeno.

18. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are very kind, but I am strictly self-found.

19. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

tried quite a few of my chars in the pit, but mf-players-speed wise my hammerdins beat them all by a very very large margin. running players 8 in about 6 minutes with 600 mf.
    And unless very nasty archer packs spawn he doesn't have too much trouble with them either... (don't run at them, walk, and not in a straight line... )

20. mad.as.a.meataxe

np, I quite understand as i'm self-found too.

MAAM