Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pit run for fun and mf?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by pliu, Feb 2, 2004.

1. pliu

pliu Banned

pit run for fun and mf?

I use my hammerdin to do pit mf run and bored to do that. This is because I found nothing good from it and hammerdin is bored to play with
    ( it is damn annoying to control the hammer). I do pit run half for mf and half for fun. Can someone suggest a char fun to play when mf at pit?
    Or which char mf at where is more fun?

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

Different people think different builds are fun. A build that is fun for me may not be fun for you. Just pick what YOU think is fun and play that. Personally though I never get tired of my Meteorb sorceress.

3. ayoko

ayoko IncGamers Member

Hmm well some people think find item is fun. My WW barb horked up a Tal's Armor and Griz Helm in the Pit...kinda funny seeing Griz Hat fly up out of a corpse.

4. Lunfear

Lunfear IncGamers Member

I like doing Diablo runs in Hell with my Hammerdin

5. Deadsight

Deadsight IncGamers Member

Yeah hell diablo is very fun with hammerdins. For pit I suggest Chain light/ Frozen orb thats a pretty fun build for it. Oh, and does mf help what you find when horking?

6. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Yes, it does.

7. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

My Trapsin does very well in the pit. She is the LS/DS/FB build and she coasts through it. With CoS for the archers and a big stick (reapers toll) on my merc plus the FB for the light immunes, the pit is pretty easy. And the value of a high level shadow master for a tank cannot be properly put into words. Not only is she effective, but with 10 hot keys she is a hoot to play too.

8. RaspenJho

RaspenJho IncGamers Member

Pit Runs

I've only recently started doing pit runs, with 413% mf on my Lightning Trapsin, and am not having much luck yet...

Any suggestions?

9. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I find a poison/lightning fury javazon to be very fun, too bad I only use her to do quests

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

View the Pit Run Guide stickied in The Community Forum.

11. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

try droping ur mf down to about 340-350

i was doing pit runs with over 400 mf and not finding anything, then dropped it down, now stuff is falling every 5 - 10 runs

AND do pit runs with someone else in the game, helps ur finds significantly

12. RaspenJho

Appreciated

Thanks for the advice cOMMANDo, i'll let you guys know how it goes in a few days...

-RJ-

13. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

Uuh that doesn't make sense. Why would MF under 400 be better than above 400? Blizzard could have capped it at 400 or 500 or 1000, who knows. But resetting MF to 0(or 100%, whatever way you look at it) when its higher than 400 doesn't make any sense at all. Plus, if it was true wouldn't people have known that by now? Wouldn't it be in like every MF-guide?

Just because you got unlucky on a few runs and lucky on a few other runs means nothing.

14. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

reason for mf being "optimal" around 350'ish is because over that, your killing rate usually slows, while the unique per drop ratio doesn't climb as high. Over 350, you basically more chances for MAGIC items.

g

:rant:

15. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

Yes, that is true. But that isn't what Commando wrote. He even wrote stuff is falling every 5 to 10 runs. So it seems that he means less runs for a good item with lower MF.

16. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

yup. that's what i said.

on paper with 400+%mf, you'll get "crappy drops" which in reality would be good had they fallen as unique (think blue shako's / monarchs). So you drop your MF down, which in turn increases your killing rate.

So...
    (all examples by the way)
    10 runs per hour with 400% mf
    or
    25 runs per hour with 337% mf

Now, looking at the fact that in 3 hours time there is a difference of 45 runs.

Does my ranting make sense?

:rant:
    g

17. RaspenJho

Browsing through the MF guide on diabloii.net, and found this interesting paragraph:

Can anyone confirm or deny that a lower MF can produce higher returns than a higher MF?

-RJ-

18. joepublic

joepublic IncGamers Member

started pitting with my skellymancer this weekend. havent found anything great yet but it's easy and fun. skellymancers are cheap to build and can hold lotsa mf easilly. mf and plus skills are the only thing he needs from gear cause he has plenty of minions to take the heat for him. all he has to do is stay out of the way, raise minions, and say bad words.

19. RaspenJho

MF Results: 10 Pit Runs (Full Clears)

I ran 10 pit runs tonight (about 2 hours for me... *note to self, ignore all those gold piles unless they are 10k+) and here were my keepers:

PUL Rune
    35% Chancies

I sold a unique gothic axe... (Humongous) never saw any other unique or set item drop.

Here was my setup:

Lvl 84 Lightning Trapsin
    Ali Baba (84%)
    Skullders Ire (129%)
    Chance Guards (28%) -- (Will upgrade to the new 35% I found)
    War Travellers (31%)
    Nagelring 1 (26%)
    Nagelring 2 (29%)
    Chaos Talisman (rare ammy.. 5%)
    Various charms (21%)

Total MF: 353 (Note: I removed my StealSkull helm to drop MF down from above 400 -- See merc equipment below)

Merc: Level 84 Act 2 Defiance
    StealSkull (66%)
    Bonehew -- 2 PSkulls
    Griswolds Armor -- 15% IAS Jewel + 2 clean sockets

I gained about 1/3 of a level, and did not die at all. My merc died several times though facing a spectral hit lightning immune/fire immune boss with lots of minions.

Anyone else have similar results?

-RJ-

20. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

250-350 MF has always been optimal for me, sets and uniques seemed to quickly drop off above that for me, though you will see plenty of rares. This was in 1.09 though, but I don't think it would be any different now.

My LS Javazon pushes through The Pit with ease, only trouble she has is with the archers (LI) but those are disposed of quickly with my lvl 86 Defiance merc (+4 Arioc's Needle, Duriel's Shell, Blackhorn's Face) and Slow Missiles (what a Godsend that skill is :)). Now that I have Stone runeword, I like to use Clay Golem to slow with my merc's slow. Nice thing is, the Clay Golem has Godly defense from my merc, so he rarely dies.