Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pippy is booya

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Aug 26, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

Pippy is booya

I feel like I am 8 years old. I remember watching that when I was very young.

Pippy Longstocking is on DVD. This is just so cool for me. I grew up loving Pippy. It was finally available on DVD in the US. We are on our third viewing. So all you Swedish buddies..I bought the DVD and have Pippy in all her glory.

IMO..anyone who has kids needs to get that movie. It is so fun.

I can honestly say that this is the only movie that I loved when I was little. Samara is watching it now. She is laughing so much.

It is so awsome to share a movie from childhood with a new generation.

The movies for kids now are horrid. Nothing like Pippi..she is a classic. At my age, I am laughing.

2. Rabbitz

Rabbitz Diabloii.Net Member

O..

So it isnt a pure Dutch thing :(, argggg more illusions shatterd.

3. Ariadne

Ariadne Diabloii.Net Member

I am Dutch and I've always disliked Pippi in all her incarnations....

4. zodiac66

I grew up with Pippy..so poo on you.

Did you dislike over political ideals?

How can anyone have an issue with Pippy?

5. Ariadne

Don't poo on me, it stinks. I just didn't like it.....I work with childrens books and I even dislike it as a book, but there's loads of people liking it so it's just a matter of taste.

6. zodiac66

See, even in the US..I grew up with Pippy.

I am sure there are works that you know that I would find horrid.

I really don't care if you like it or not. I am that sort of person.

7. Ariadne

I'm sure of that too, and I wasn't trying to convince you it's rubbish - my taste isn't a good guide anyways (see how I drink my coffee, for example).

I'm just glad you did find the dvd of it.....isn't it still rerun on some channels? I know it is here.

8. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I hired Donald Faison so he could come here and do his "In your face dance" on a table while singing "Johnny can watch pipi in the original language" over and over again.

He should be here any second.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I remember Pippi. Although I don't remember ever seeing the show, I just remember the fad, her style (stripy stockings and pigtails FTW) and her name of course.

For the most part I agree, but it's worth mentioning that Pixar is doing some amazing things. The Incredibles was one of the best movies I've seen in years (for kids or otherwise... if you ask me it has as much adult content as children's - like all the best children's fiction). It's only one of only two movies made in the last six years I'm actually going to buy on DVD.

Apparently it's all over the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking

10. Stompwampa

Stompwampa Diabloii.Net Member

I have to agree with this. Pixar is doing some great flicks. The Incredible is by far one of the best one's they've made, right up there with Finding Nemo...both of which my 2-year old little girl absolutley loves to watch.
    I'm also a fan of Monsters Inc, and both Toy Story movies, hell, Cars was hilarious too. In fact, I can't think of a Pixar movies that I havn't enjoyed. Kudos Pixar. Kudos.

oh yea, and Pippy Longstocking was OK. I grew up with my sister watching Pollyanna and Mary Poppins over and over again...

11. Johnny

Johnny Banned

A bugs life?

12. Raena

Raena Diabloii.Net Member

I always loved Pippi :smiley: The tv show was great but the book was awesome. You should read Samara that. Books are so much better than movies. They let children use their imagination for a change instead of getting it all chewed out on tv.

It's originally swedish :smiley:

13. WildBerry

WildBerry Diabloii.Net Member

Astrid Lindgren FTW.

A great children's writer. Try out some other titles by her. Great stuff.

14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier Diabloii.Net Member

Pippi in the south seas! :rockon:

Lindgren is basically a saint here in Sweden. Everyone has read at least ten or so of her books, or had them read to them. I loved Ronja and Mio min Mio when I was a kid, but wasn't a big fan of her other work. I re-read some of it a while back and was shocked by how brutal, cruel and scary some of it is considering it's childrens books. One in particular, Spelar min lind sjunger min näktergal, has to be one of the weirdest childrens stories ever. The plot, simply put, revolves around two kids who are dirt poor, bullied and starving. One day on their way home from school they come across some sort of paradise filled with other kids who are kind to them and give them pancaces and stuff to eat. Later the reader finds out that they in fact froze to death in the woods and went to heaven. Or something like that. :shocked:

15. Stompwampa

Stompwampa Diabloii.Net Member

it was still entertaining...thought not the high quality of thier other films :wink3:

16. WildBerry

Lindgren seems to be stealing the plot from H. C. Andersen's The Little Match Girl (link). I can't be 100%, but the resemblance is pretty visible. And given the Christian background, the morale of story isn't that strange - you live miserably, you die, you go to a better place no matter what others think. End of story.

17. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier Diabloii.Net Member

Lindgren uses that plot element in a lot of her stories. She's probably been inspired by Andersen and others.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't read any but all really good children's fiction has cruel or nasty elements. Hell, read the Brothers Grimm. Once upon a time people didn't shelter children from life, they prepared them for it...

I thought that sounded familiar. I didn't think that story had a moral to be frank. Like one of the pre-revised version Grimm's tales.

P.S. You mean moral.

19. Raena

Raena Diabloii.Net Member

I simply loved Lindgrens books when I was younger. Ronja was awesome and I also really loved The brothers Lionheart (don't know if that's the exact name they use in english, that's the name translated from dutch...). The only one I didn't liek though was Mio my Mio.

20. WildBerry

Whoopee!

No, I actually meant the story has really good morale, it really puts up a fight 'til the bitter end. :laughing: