Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ping

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ace_wanderer, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Ping

I dont play Counter strike source that much but my ping used to be 60. I stopped playing for about a month then went back now my ping is 80-90.

Does anyone know what happened? Could it be the patch it seems that movement is more sluggish after the patch.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Gnomes have laid eggs in your ethernet cable. Unplug both ends of the cable and blow as hard as you can into one end of it, so as to force the eggs to pop out of the other end. You might want to put the other end of the cable out your front door so the eggs don't end up inside.

3. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

Ping? Oh, I'm sorry, I was looking for poing.

Anyways, there have been quite a few updates over the last month or so. It's possible that an update caused your ping to rise when connected to Steam. Granted it could also be the server your on.

I haven't had any trouble with increased latency myself, but I know people who have. Most of them have blamed the updates. Who knows?

PS: Is it just CS:S that's causing you to experience an increased ping?

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Ping varies from server to server. And there's a lot of factors that can go into giving you an extra 20 ms in ping time. Either way, 20ms extra makes practically no difference at all, don't think you can say "lag" when that one guy awped you in the head in front of your face when you have 80 ping.

Either way, it could be your own internet, the game updates, the server load, the server's internet, your own computer (slower computers have higher ping) and a million other things. But most likely, I think Durf's explanation is right. Instead of blowing one end, I suggest you suck.

5. Ace_wanderer

I dont have any other games to test it on but Im pretty sure something has changed because I go to the same set of servers and my ping used to be about 60.

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Technically speaking,
    Ping is a sound sonars make under water to detect other vehicles or whatever. So the best way to test your ping is under water.

I suggest you fill your tub and......

Never mind

7. Sully

Sully IncGamers Member

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Freet is right about what "ping" originally came from. However, in this context, I believe it's referring to the time it takes for a packet to go to the server and back to the client. As I said before, an extra 20ms is not noticeable.

9. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Post a traceroute to the server you are connecting to, so that we can evaluate where your latency lies.

10. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

If you're on a win32 box, there's a program called PingPlotter out there which essentially takes traceroutes at intervals and shows the accumulated data graphically. Minimum, maximum, average, and current pings for each hop are displayed. It's not freeware, but it's free to use for 30 days.

11. Ace_wanderer

How would I do that?

12. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Select start/run and type "command" in the space without the quotation marks. This will bring up a command prompt. Then type in tracert then space then the place you want to route. For example, I trace routed rpg forums by typing in "tracert www.rpgforums.net" and got this:

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/2370/tracert9iz.jpg

This gives you the time taken for each item in the chain to send the request to the next until my request finally reached its destination.

13. Ace_wanderer

Thank you, I'll try it tomorrow. Does anyone know what I would type for CS instead of www.rpgforums.net.