Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pimp my Paladin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Apr 14, 2008.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Pimp my Paladin

I am building a Templar / Vindicator (Fist of Heavens + Smite to the un-initiated) for PvP, but he is incredibly dull to play PvM. I was going to build him as a Fireball Templar, but having just equipped Trang's Claws & Armour in NM, I'm not sure he will be strong enough in Hell. Fireball is killing even slower than FoH in NM at players 8 too.

So I'm opening this thread up for build suggestions.

Basics hard point allocations (for PvP build so won't be altered):
    Strength 137
    Dexterity 131
    Vitality all the rest.

Skills:
    20 Fist of Heavens
    20 Holy Shock
    20ish Conviction (need to check my + skills first)
    20 Holy Shield
    1 in all other combat skills & offensive aura's
    1 in Vigor & pre-reqs

- I have most Sets & Uniques available.
    - I don't want to spend runes above Lem for the PvM build.

Build Suggestions
    Conviction Zealot with Voice of Reason Phase Blade? Gimmershred?
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Re: Pimp my Paladin

Well, I have 2 sets of weapons. I use grief BA/HoZ with UM for smite/charge and HoTO/HoZ with light facet for FoH + hammers.

If you have grief I'd try equipping it and going pure melee in PVM, FoH aint gonna get you nowhere nohow :p

3. Gorgrims

Gorgrims IncGamers Member

anything with elemental dmg should work :D

4. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Try using IK Gloves, Belt, Boots, and Maul (with Hel + Shael?)
    With a Hel in Maul you can equip it with your current stats (provided you wear the gloves, boots and belt), if I got it right.
    It will give you:
    Adds 211-397 Fire Damage (2 items)
    Adds 7-477 Lightning Damage (3 Items)
    Adds 127-364 Cold Damage, 6 sec. Duration (Normal) (4 Items)

Looks nice on paper with the Conviction.
    I'm not sure with the actual though.
    Maybe you can try it and show us how it goes. :grin:

--maxgerin

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

If you don't have the Grief silo mentioned, I say just muddle through as a Conviction Gimmershreds wielding zealot.

You should have the stat points to use the ax, and the equipment flexibility to do fairly well in PvM (focus on Crushing Blow and leech, with a small amount of +skills and IAS, with reasonable resistances - probably Drac's gloves are all you really need though).

Also, it's fairly boring, but I'd rather go through on /p1, then do my levelups on /p8 Pindle. And since you're PvP, save the Ancients quest until you almost the level you want - you don't receive any penalty for that quest, so that 40M can be quite nice (I used it to help boost my Blizzsorc from 94 to 95... 40M exp is pretty nice at that point when you're getting ~150k from Pindle).

6. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Sorry for the bit off-topic, but:

I take it you are playing 1.11? I made a 1.10 synergy-bugged Fireball/FoH/Conviction Paladin that was an absolute beast... I don't have the screenshots anymore but I think he did 1.3k with Fireball before Conviction or somesuch - but he was very safe and very capable of taking anything in the game. I doubt it will be anywhere nearly strong enough to play in 1.11 though, which is a shame as it was a very fun build.

7. Skinnyy

Skinnyy IncGamers Member

I built a fireball templar/vindicator a while ago and actually played it that way all the way through hell at p1. Fireball isn't the best, but at players 1 with 125 FCR will get the job done. I used a act1 merc with a Harmony bow. The elemental damage on the bow + your conviction will allow her to do a TON of damage. Overall it was a very safe build, FoH everything (slowly) but you can still 1 and 2 hit KO most things in even through act 4 or so of Hell. If things got bad, I switched to smite and tanked and let my merc cleanup.

If you have it, I found Astreon's to be a wonderful weapon for the build (at least PVM). It makes for good smiting and FoHing without having to use your weapon switch (especially if yours has +4 combat skills). It then frees up your weapon switch for FCR gear for fireball.

8. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Thanks for the comments everyone. The IKeadin sounds interesting, I had forgotten about that. Add in Guillaumes Face for even more strength & CB...

I do have a Grief. I'm a bit reluctant to just zeal through with that because I also have a Vindicator / Templar (emphasis on smite) on the go who will be doing exactly that. I wanted to enjoy the PvM aspect of it a bit more than just being a slog to level him.

9. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Not sure if it is your style, but you may consider what I did with my guardian build Here

You may either zeal your way or FoH, either would be fine and since this is SC, you have alot more room for free play.