Pies.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
quietus said:
Sorry if I offended you, I was just meaning to ask what that first thing with the mixup of Dutch was. I do give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume that you'd know that pies = plural of pie.
Offended? Sorry, I was using my wrong sort of humor, I'm rarely offended and if I am I will let you know. Usually by PM, I dont make a habit of shouting on forums. Well not anymore anyways.
It's just I was thinking dutch and the first thing I saw on the forum was a mildly nasty word in Dutch except for in fact it was an English word.

I'll behave now. *hugs*

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
You guys deep-fry pies? They're supposed to be baked, deep-frying them is just going a bit nuts...

quietus said:
Homemade eh? I generally buy my meat pies at the store premade, 'cause it's easier, but I have weekends off and I've been looking to expand my horizons a bit, learn to cook things that aren't just stove-and-go. Happen to have a good recipe for meat pies around by any chance?
I make a chicken pie for dinner sometimes, it's delicious.

HockeyChic said:
Well, I could give you one, but Dondrei says I'm wrong, that pasties are completely different from a meat pie. I fail to understand why though---pastry crust, gravy, meat, maybe a little veg. It is more of a hand held thing to maybe that's what the problem is.
Well, they are similar but usually a pastie is a different shape - it's just a pouch full of filling rather than a proper pie shape. Also, they are usually filled with some strange pastie mix, it has meat I think but also a lot of vegetables. It's a bit like the contents of a spring roll - vegetables, presumably some meat but all a bit mysterious. Pies on the other hand are much meatier, they're just full of meat and gravy in fact. Taste very different.

A pastie.

Of course, maybe when you say "pastie" you mean what I mean when I say "pie", I don't know.

HockeyChic said:
I agree. The one posted earlier does sound good. The only thing I would different with that recipe would be to use lard instead of shortening for the pastry. I know, it sounds nasty, but it makes a better crust imo.
I just use flaky pastry from the shop, I can't be bothered making my own and it's pretty darn good.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Vivi said:
Offended? Sorry, I was using my wrong sort of humor, I'm rarely offended and if I am I will let you know. Usually by PM, I dont make a habit of shouting on forums. Well not anymore anyways.
It's just I was thinking dutch and the first thing I saw on the forum was a mildly nasty word in Dutch except for in fact it was an English word.

I'll behave now. *hugs*

*Hugs back* I'll keep that in mind. Text doesn't convey tone of voice easily - but if I ever wonder at a later date, I'll just check my PM's.

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi All,

Thanks dondrei, I too was wondering what all this talk of buying a deep fryer was about... in a pie cooking thread.

Quietus .... a few basic cooking utensils, like a bowl, mixing spoon, frying pan and an oven is all you need for pie making. Freet and Hokey Chic with their ice chilled marble rolling pins ... just make me smile. Believe it or not, you can actually roll pasty with a normal bottle of beer, if you want it chilled put it in the fridge for 10 minutes beforehand. And when the pastry has been rolled, you can drink your "rolling pin".

Happy baking
Syxx

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei,

It's the way his posts have always been. I find they add a touch of originality that's welcome from a poster, especially one as unfailingly cordial as Syxx. (Although I do think the tag line comes close to being an unpaid signature, which are supposedly frowned upon.)

I remain, etc. etc.
P. R. Durfee

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Dondrei,

Can't help it ... its the way I was taught to make a written communication. I was educated in a time when people wrote things called letters, using hand held implements called pens. Being an old fuddy-duddy (not quite in Freets league, but getting there) it feels wrong to do it differently, just because of some new fangle internet thingy.

Dear Sir / Madam, Hello, Hows it hanging ...

Contents of message .... yadda, yadda, yadda ...

your sincerely / faithfully, kindest regards, hugs and kisses ...
Syxx

Same format just different words depending on who I am communicating with. Whoops, must admit I forgot about the tag line / pal rule. I hope the salutation at the end of my posts don't break any rules.

uhm ... Regards
Syxx

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
The deep fryer came into play from the recipe given by Bortaz where the instructions are to deep fry or bake at 400. Given that deep fry was suggested first, I guessed that it was the prefered method.

Personally, I try to avoid deep frying foods. There are some exceptions, like crab cakes, but where possible I bake instead of fry. I do have a deep fryer should I need it.

Also, there was talk of some other foods cooked in the deep fryer, some stuffed mushrooms I believe.

Bortaz

Banned
Well, my recipe was for a southern (Louisiana) dish, and everyone knows southerners are all obese lardbellies. So, we fry everything. In lard.

Syxx said:
Hi All,

Thanks dondrei, I too was wondering what all this talk of buying a deep fryer was about... in a pie cooking thread.

Quietus .... a few basic cooking utensils, like a bowl, mixing spoon, frying pan and an oven is all you need for pie making. Freet and Hokey Chic with their ice chilled marble rolling pins ... just make me smile. Believe it or not, you can actually roll pasty with a normal bottle of beer, if you want it chilled put it in the fridge for 10 minutes beforehand. And when the pastry has been rolled, you can drink your "rolling pin".

Happy baking
Syxx
Syxx,

Our rolling pins and marble slabs came into play when the conversation turned to the different ways we have found, through trial and error, to make the best possible pastry crust. If you take your cooking seriously, or just want something that tastes incredible, you learn that there certain things that can and do make a considerable difference in the outcome of what you make. Are these things necessary to make pie/pastry crust? No, but they do make a difference.

Best regards,
HockeyChic

skihard

Banned
Why has no one brought up fur pie, that is the best pie ever!! Of course it usually takes a lot of work to get ready which can get expensive sometimes) and then there is no guarantee you'll get to have a piece. Still when you finally do, it's the best!!

Oh and a pastie here in Michigan is stuffed with chunky meat, and potatoes with very little else as a standard. There are of course those that want to reinvent the wheel and put tons of crap you don’t need into them like every veggie known to man but the good ones are MEAT, GRAVY & SPUDS and depending on where you get them they look like a pie folded in half or they look lie a standard pie baked in a pan.

Why has no one brought up fur pie, that is the best pie ever!! Of course it usually takes a lot of work to get ready which can get expensive sometimes) and then there is no guarantee you'll get to have a piece. Still when you finally do, it's the best!!
Ladies and Gentlemen----My husband. Let the green eyed monster arise in each of you!!

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
Ladies and Gentlemen----My husband. Let the green eyed monster arise in each of you!!
Well, I do have to admit that he has a point... even if he isn't particularly inspiring about it. :tongue:

skihard

Banned
Well, I do have to admit that he has a point... even if he isn't particularly inspiring about it. :tongue:
Hello?! Former Army guy here, no reason to sugar coat what I say. I'll leave the frilly talk to wusses like Donny boy.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
skihard said:
Hello?! Former Army guy here, no reason to sugar coat what I say. I'll leave the frilly talk to wusses like Donny boy.
What, you think having carried around a gun at one point gives you the right to say things that would get anyone else banned? I still say that you should be banned on the basis of having no taste, for the most part. Poor HC.

skihard

Banned
If I get banned because of what I typed in that post then someone has their panties in a bunch as much, much worse has gone across these pages with not even a hint of a banning. No matter though not like I need to come here for validation or anything.

skihard said:
A god amongst men! And a lousy SOB for posting it before I did.:laugh:

If I get banned because of what I typed in that post then someone has their panties in a bunch as much, much worse has gone across these pages with not even a hint of a banning. No matter though not like I need to come here for validation or anything.
The technical term for that is CPWS. Chronic Panties in a Wad Syndrome. Oh and welcome to the Club of People the Libs Want Banned. There's beer in the fridge. Help yourself to some.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Dondrei,

It's the way his posts have always been. I find they add a touch of originality that's welcome from a poster, especially one as unfailingly cordial as Syxx. (Although I do think the tag line comes close to being an unpaid signature, which are supposedly frowned upon.)

I remain, etc. etc.
P. R. Durfee
Hi Dondrei,

Can't help it ... its the way I was taught to make a written communication. I was educated in a time when people wrote things called letters, using hand held implements called pens. Being an old fuddy-duddy (not quite in Freets league, but getting there) it feels wrong to do it differently, just because of some new fangle internet thingy.

Dear Sir / Madam, Hello, Hows it hanging ...

Contents of message .... yadda, yadda, yadda ...

your sincerely / faithfully, kindest regards, hugs and kisses ...
Syxx

Same format just different words depending on who I am communicating with. Whoops, must admit I forgot about the tag line / pal rule. I hope the salutation at the end of my posts don't break any rules.

uhm ... Regards
Syxx
To Whom It May Concern,

I see, I just thought it looked quaint.

Your faithful servant,
Dondrei

Well, my recipe was for a southern (Louisiana) dish, and everyone knows southerners are all obese lardbellies. So, we fry everything. In lard.
I understand the Scottish do it too. Then again, they deep-fry pizzas and Mars bars too.

Are people still going on about that abseiling thing? Yeesh, acrophobia has nothing to do with bravery or lack thereof.