Pies.

quietus said:
Homemade eh? I generally buy my meat pies at the store premade, 'cause it's easier, but I have weekends off and I've been looking to expand my horizons a bit, learn to cook things that aren't just stove-and-go. Happen to have a good recipe for meat pies around by any chance?
Well, I could give you one, but Dondrei says I'm wrong, that pasties are completely different from a meat pie. I fail to understand why though---pastry crust, gravy, meat, maybe a little veg. It is more of a hand held thing to maybe that's what the problem is.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
Well, I could give you one, but Dondrei says I'm wrong, that pasties are completely different from a meat pie. I fail to understand why though---pastry crust, gravy, meat, maybe a little veg. It is more of a hand held thing to maybe that's what the problem is.

Even so... if it tastes good, I'll make it. Besides, Dondrei's the spelling expert from down under. We're like... on the opposite side of the equator. No offense to him, but I'd rather take the cooking advice of someone who isn't an entire ocean away. Hell, you're in Michigan, and that's only a six hour drive from here. I couldn't fly to Australia in that time.

Thelioness said:
There was a recipe posted earlier in the thread, if you are interested.
I agree. The one posted earlier does sound good. The only thing I would different with that recipe would be to use lard instead of shortening for the pastry. I know, it sounds nasty, but it makes a better crust imo.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Thelioness said:
There was a recipe posted earlier in the thread, if you are interested.

This is true, I completely forgot about that. I looked over it because it was so long earlier...

Yeah, looks like if I want to learn to cook any better than I do now, I'm gonna be spending quite a bit of money. Definately need a deep fryer... though I can't say that'd be such a bad thing. I could go for some deep fried battered mushrooms right about now... and I actually know how to make those. :tongue:

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
Unless you need a large deep fryer or want one with dual baskets you can pick one up for under $40. For the smaller ones you can get one around $20 if you watch the sales. Or, you can use a high sided frying pan instead of a deep fryer in a pinch.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Thelioness said:
Unless you need a large deep fryer or want one with dual baskets you can pick one up for under $40. For the smaller ones you can get one around $20 if you watch the sales. Or, you can use a high sided frying pan instead of a deep fryer in a pinch.

Yeah, but I live... well, I'm well below the poverty line, I think. I make about $10k a year and fully support myself. $40 is an investment. :tongue:

On the other hand... it would be a good investment. So, I'll be watching the stores and seeing what happens. I would love to have a deep fryer anyway, and I've managed to squirrel away a bit of cash, so my budget can handle that.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
I agree. The one posted earlier does sound good. The only thing I would different with that recipe would be to use lard instead of shortening for the pastry. I know, it sounds nasty, but it makes a better crust imo.
I've used lard in the past but found something I like better. Half butter [real, softened and unsalted] and Half shortening makes for a richer crust and just as flakey. It gives back the fat content lost by the vegetable shortening.

If I can also make a suggestion in the deep fryer dept---I would suggest getting one that has adjusts heat digitally instead of the dial type. If you just want to do the occasional deep frying a very inexpensive one that has a single heat of around 375f is really just as good. The other I suggested is only if you are going to get into some serious frying.

Freet said:
I've used lard in the past but found something I like better. Half butter [real, softened and unsalted] and Half shortening makes for a richer crust and just as flakey. It gives back the fat content lost by the vegetable shortening.
I'll have try that. A local pie company sells a "blend" for pastries, but of course it's a secret as to what is actually in it.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
The real trick I've found with making a light pastry is to make certain all ingrediants are at room temp before combining them. And it's best to work it with a hollow rolling pin with ice in it. Another things is to get the job done as quickly as possible. Just as with biscuits, it's really easy to over-work the dough.

*removes baking mit and notices how much easier it is to type.*

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
pumpkin pie (the latter of which was until recently unheard-of here) or something like that.
I pity you Australians. Pumpkin pie is surely a gift of Providence.

We have the aforementioned pot pies, but you have to look pretty hard to find a real 'meat pie". My local bakery sells them, but only on request.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
If I can also make a suggestion in the deep fryer dept---I would suggest getting one that has adjusts heat digitally instead of the dial type. If you just want to do the occasional deep frying a very inexpensive one that has a single heat of around 375f is really just as good. The other I suggested is only if you are going to get into some serious frying.

Well, I have a general rule... unless it's ridiculously cheap, I don't buy something that I consider an investment unless I'm buying something of good quality. I wouldn't object to paying $40 for a nice deep fryer, or if I could be absolutely sure it'd last me a few years, I could probably scrounge up up to $80. I'm very good with my money, and if ever I need some, I can usually find it. I just find that it's better to buy something that'll last for a few years, even if it costs double, than buy something that'll burn out in a year and have to be replaced... or just want to replace it because it doesn't have enough options for my liking.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
*shakes head*
I should not have read this title of the topic when my head was still thinking Dutch, really.

Oh and pies are not so regular here, and if, they are pronounced wrong.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Vivi said:
*shakes head*
I should not have read this title of the topic when my head was still thinking Dutch, really.

Oh and pies are not so regular here, and if, they are pronounced wrong.

... Why, what'd you think the title meant?

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
quietus said:
... Why, what'd you think the title meant?
I bloody well know what pies are, and it's the plural of pie.
But I was reading a Dutch text before I looked at this forum, and in Dutch, pies is wee.

Freet said:
The real trick I've found with making a light pastry is to make certain all ingrediants are at room temp before combining them. And it's best to work it with a hollow rolling pin with ice in it. Another things is to get the job done as quickly as possible. Just as with biscuits, it's really easy to over-work the dough.

*removes baking mit and notices how much easier it is to type.*
I use a large marble slab and a marble rolling pin for keeping the pastry dough cool while working with it.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
I use a large marble slab and a marble rolling pin for keeping the pastry dough cool while working with it.
You ever have to use that marble rolling pin on Ski? :scratch:

Lord that would hurt.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Amra said:
You ever have to use that marble rolling pin on Ski? :scratch:

Lord that would hurt.
not as much as the marble slab would.

I don't have a rolling pin, nor a slab, so me and my scones struggled a wee bit on the kitchen sink. I won.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Vivi said:
I bloody well know what pies are, and it's the plural of pie.
But I was reading a Dutch text before I looked at this forum, and in Dutch, pies is wee.

Sorry if I offended you, I was just meaning to ask what that first thing with the mixup of Dutch was. I do give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume that you'd know that pies = plural of pie.